Installing LinuxCNC 2.10 And Probe Basic on Linux MX 21

More
11 Dec 2022 01:13 - 27 Dec 2022 06:01 #259172 by cmw
I hope this helps someone interested in installing the LinuxCNC 2.10 and Probe Basic on MX 21.  This process installs from a .deb and is not a RIP installation.  LinuxCNC will show up in the Applications Menu of MX 21.  I'm just a beginner at linux and this took me a few days to collect all the steps necessary from various resources but it now seems to work for now.  Everything seems to change fast and keeping up a working installation process is a challenge. Installing MX 21 is easy.  Just download and burn the latest live boot image to a USB drive using Rufus (in windows) or gnome-multi-writer in Linux. Once MX 21 real time kernal is installed, follow the attached file and it should get LinuxCNC and Probe Basic installed. I updated the attached file and I think it is correct now.  Maybe someone can run thru it and check.  One thing that I had to do since posting this the first time is downgrade Numpy to 1.23.5 to get editvcp to open without errors.  Thanks 

File Attachment:

File Name: InstallLin...MX21.txt
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 06:01 by cmw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, 0x2102, ChironFZ16, spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2022 00:03 #259865 by spumco
Thanks very much.  If I could make an observation...  I think you may have used a text editor to past the dependencies in the .doc file.  A simple copy-paste of the .doc (or from the forum screen) in a terminal results in missing dependencies because the lines breaks & hyphenation don't carry over cleanly.

Had to past in to geany and remove all the extra line breaks.

An easier method, at least for newbie non-Linux folks like myself, is to paste all the dependencies in one line (in geany), then past them as 'code' in the forum editor.  Them someone can grab & paste the whole thing with no confusing errors:
sudo apt install -y git debhelper dh-python libudev-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev bwidget tclx libeditreadline-dev asciidoc dblatex docbook-xsl dvipng ghostscript graphviz groff imagemagick inkscape python3-lxml source-highlight w3c-linkchecker xsltproc texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish texlive-latex-recommended asciidoc-dblatex python3-dev python3-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtk-3-dev gettext intltool autoconf libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev psmisc yapps2 libepoxy-dev python3-xlib python3-pyqt5 python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python3-pyqt5.qtopengl python3-pyqt5.qsci python3-pyqt5.qtmultimedia python3-pyqt5.qtquick qml-module-qtquick-controls gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad libqt5multimedia5-plugins pyqt5-dev-tools python3-dev python3-setuptools python3-wheel python3-pip python3-yapps dpkg-dev python3-serial libtk-img qttools5-dev qttools5-dev-tools python3-wheel espeak espeak-data espeak-ng freeglut3 gdal-data gstreamer1.0-tools libaec0 libarmadillo10 libarpack2 libcfitsio9 libcharls2 libdap27 libdapclient6v5 libespeak1 libfreexl1 libfyba0 libgdcm3.0 libgeos-c1v5 libgeotiff5 libgif7 libgtksourceview-3.0-dev libhdf4-0-alt libhdf5-103-1 libhdf5-hl-100 libimagequant0 libkmlbase1 libkmldom1 libkmlengine1 liblept5 libmariadb3 libminizip1 libodbc1 libogdi4.1 libportaudio2 libpq5 libprotobuf23 libqhull8.0 librttopo1 libsocket++1 libspatialite7 libsuperlu5 libsz2 libtbb2 libtesseract4 liburiparser1 libxerces-c3.2 libxml2-dev mariadb-common mesa-utils mysql-common odbcinst odbcinst1debian2 proj-bin proj-data python3-configobj python3-espeak python3-gi-cairo python3-olefile python3-opencv python3-opengl python3-pil python3-pil.imagetk python3-pyqt5.qtsvg python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit tcl-tclreadline geotiff-bin gdal-bin glew-utils libgtksourceview-3.0-doc libhdf4-doc libhdf4-alt-dev hdf4-tools odbc-postgresql tdsodbc ogdi-bin python-configobj-doc libgle3 python-pil-doc python3-sqlalchemy python3-gst-1.0 texlive-lang-european build-essential:native
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Dec 2022 00:24 #259867 by tommylight
Thank you.
As a future reference, use only simple plain text editors for editing/copy/paste/etc, as Spumco mentioned, using anything else causes all kinds of issues.

More
19 Dec 2022 00:34 - 19 Dec 2022 00:37 #259868 by spumco
Running through the rest of this, I'm getting a fail at:

./configure –with-realtime=uspace

edit - I think it needs two hyphens "--with..."

But still getting a fail.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2022 00:37 by spumco.

More
19 Dec 2022 00:37 - 19 Dec 2022 00:41 #259869 by tommylight

Running through the rest of this, I'm getting a fail at:

./configure –with-realtime=uspace

./configure -with-realtime=uspace

The first minus is not a minus sign, it is a bit longer.
Edit
Probably should be two of those minuses at the start:
./configure --with-realtime=uspace
Last edit: 19 Dec 2022 00:41 by tommylight. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
19 Dec 2022 00:44 #259870 by spumco
Yea, two hyphens needed, but still failing:

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

More
19 Dec 2022 00:47 #259871 by tommylight
Yeah, probably not inside the correct folder.
From a quick glance of the document, i am sure i noticed some inconsistency with moving in and out of folders, but am to tired to sift through it.
Sorry.
Here is the procedure:
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html

More
19 Dec 2022 00:57 - 19 Dec 2022 01:02 #259872 by spumco
Thanks Tommy.

OP: I think you're missing some folder changes.  Need to drop in to dev/linuxcnc/rip/src before the ./configure... command.

EDIT
Some other issues:
$ cd
###$ . ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment
$ linuxcnc

Has some folder name problems.  I think you need to run through your post start to finish and tidy up folder names and sequencing.

Last edit: 19 Dec 2022 01:02 by spumco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Dec 2022 23:32 #259911 by andypugh

OP: I think you're missing some folder changes.  Need to drop in to dev/linuxcnc/rip/src before the ./configure... command.

Only if that's where you have put it ....

If you follow the instructions on the web site to get a git clone then you will end up with the Linuxcnc source in ~/linuxcnc-dev/src
cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/src
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make setuid
Is pretty much all I ever do. Several times an hour some days...

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Dec 2022 03:31 #259925 by spumco

Only if that's where you have put it ....

If you follow the instructions on the web site to get a git clone then you will end up with the Linuxcnc source in ~/linuxcnc-dev/src

cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/src
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make setuid
Is pretty much all I ever do. Several times an hour some days...

Yes... but I was trying to follow the OP's instructions verbatim to see if there were any hiccups.  And there were.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds