Installing LinuxCNC 2.10 And Probe Basic on Linux MX 21

More
20 Dec 2022 07:53 - 27 Dec 2022 00:20 #259941 by cmw
Thanks for running though this and catching the errors. I ran through it from start to end today and found the same problems. I think I have them fixed and will run through it one more time tomorrow before I post the updated procedure.

I'm not sure what happened. Being an idiot, I documented the process in the word processor that comes with mx 21. I then exported that as a .doc file to upload to the forum. I think that screwed things up. Why I didn't just use the text editor I'll never know.

I updated the installation procedure on 12/26/22.  I hope I caught all the errors.  Again thanks for running thru this.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 00:20 by cmw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2023 01:58 #271193 by mattdom142
Instruction Update

Thank you very much! Good work all for this post.

Small issue. Step 2 Item 4 (Fixed see Edit below)

linux-header-6.0.... is not showing and after running updates and upgrades it still dose not show. How do I get that in my system?

Edit: Solved, All repos need to be selected (enabled). In synaptic, click settings, repositories, then check the box to enable all that is there.

More
12 May 2023 02:19 #271196 by mattdom142
Small detail

You can not have synaptic open and the terminal open at the same time.

The terminal dose not like synaptic open at the same time, it will lock processes and stop changes in the terminal.

More
12 May 2023 11:30 #271223 by tommylight
You can have as many terminals open as you like, just can not install anything while Synaptic is opened.

More
12 May 2023 15:46 #271234 by mattdom142
Got this error on step 12.

RROR: File "setup.py" not found. Directory cannot be installed in editable mode: /home/CNCMill/LinuxCNC_Install/qtpyvcp
(A "pyproject.toml" file was found, but editable mode currently requires a setup.py based build.)

not sure what to do.

More
12 May 2023 16:08 #271236 by Lcvette
how are you installing?

More
12 May 2023 16:11 #271238 by Lcvette
the instructions on the probebasic website for development installation need to be updated, use the instruction in the sticky section for editable mode. but things in that arena are changing frequently currently so we hope once we get the development 100% completely sorted to update the probebasic webpage installation instructions.note also that when using development mode from the sticky section you will need to build deb file and install for machine use applications.

More
12 May 2023 16:20 #271239 by mattdom142
I'm just using the terminal and following the instructions provided on this post. This is my first try.

More
12 May 2023 16:29 #271240 by Lcvette
are you wanting to install for machine use or do you want to develop it? if for machine use you need to install the .deb version, and im not sure if that will work on that OS. currently xfce4 is the supported OS for qtpyvcp and probe basic. pip install no longer works on any version or OS as of Python 3.11 which is the currently used version. not something we are happy about but we must use the new venv method which isn't awesome. that is documented in thr sticky section, but that is for DEVELOPMENT work only!!!

so if you are dead set on using MX21, you are pretty much on your own.

if you want to follow the proven and supported method, it will just simply work!

More
12 May 2023 16:50 #271243 by mattdom142
hmm

Looks like a bit of an issue. If that's true I'm stuck. My machine (PC) is brand new and the hardware is not compatible with the older versions of Linux. Debian 10 buster is where I started and it failed to display anything because of driver issues. MX has exactly what I need to run my machine but if it has new python software and that is not compatible with Probe Basic then all I have is the default Linux CNC?

Which is ok but I had planned on using probe basic.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds