Jerky Jogging (QTPlasmaC)

More
23 Dec 2020 11:56 - 23 Dec 2020 11:57 #192954 by snowgoer540
Phill has QTPlasmaC is to the point where live table testing can happen. So naturally I've been trying to break it as often as possible :laugh:

In doing so, I've discovered a weird jogging (via the keyboard) issue. I posted video below, but in a nut shell, jogging becomes very jerky and erratic, for any axis. The odd thing is that jogging via the GUI jog buttons on the MAIN tab works fine, and keyboard jogging while on the PARAMETERS tab also works fine. Keyboard jogging on the MAIN tab however, does not.

It's probably also worth nothing that jogging works fine in all cases in the old AXIS gui.

Phill mentioned he took the jogging stuffs right from QTDragon (without change).

Video:

Erratic X Y:

Erratic Z:

Proof my axes do work properly :laugh: :

Any insight is appreciated; let me know if you need any more info. Thanks for the help!
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 11:57 by snowgoer540.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2020 13:50 #192957 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic Jerky Jogging (QTPlasmaC)
It sounds like EMI issues. Are the motor wires shielded? The shield should be connected to earth ground at only one end of the cable, typically the control box end. I had this issue also and solved it by going to a wireless keyboard.
HTH

More
23 Dec 2020 14:54 #192964 by snowgoer540

It sounds like EMI issues. Are the motor wires shielded? The shield should be connected to earth ground at only one end of the cable, typically the control box end. I had this issue also and solved it by going to a wireless keyboard.
HTH

I would maybe agree, however it doesn't do it in Axis GUI, also it does not do it if I am off of the MAIN tab, and on the PARAMETERS tab.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. I have a wireless keypad I can try just to be 100% sure.

More
23 Dec 2020 14:57 - 23 Dec 2020 15:29 #192965 by snowgoer540
Actually, maybe I just found a clue? Unsure how to fix it though. I missed that there are a ton of these in the terminal:
Error in, or no function for: ('on_keycall_YPOS', None) in handler file for-
[QTvcp.QTPLASMAC_HANDLER][ERROR]  Exception in KEYBINDING: (qtplasmac_handler.py:588)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py", line 584, in processed_key_event__
    return KEYBIND.call(self,event,is_pressed,shift,cntrl)
  File "/home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/qtvcp/lib/keybindings.py", line 231, in call
    handler_instance[function_name](event,state,shift,cntrl)
  File "/home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py", line 2846, in on_keycall_YPOS
    self.kb_jog(state, 1, 1, shift)
  File "/home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py", line 1182, in kb_jog
    self.add_alarm('Machine must be ON and in Manual mode to jog')
AttributeError: HandlerClass instance has no attribute 'add_alarm'

EDIT: This error hasnt come back since, though everything behaves the same. Also, tried a wireless keyboard just for sanity sake, not that. I can see the velocity fluctuate as I jog with the keyboard.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 15:29 by snowgoer540.

More
23 Dec 2020 15:32 #192972 by tommylight

Phill has QTPlasmaC is to the point where live table testing can happen. So naturally I've been trying to break it as often as possible :laugh:

Oh hell, no time, but i did install Mint 19.3 so i can run QTPlasmaC, as on Mint20 it is terribly hard to get it working. I did get it working twice, now i could not after about 6 wasted hours, so i am resorting back to 19.3. As luck would have it, i still have Beagles ISO so i gave it a run last night and QTDragon works but the rest does not complaining about QT5 not being found although it is installed and working, even the editor works on Mint 20, but by now i have 6 versions of Python installed on this PC ! :)
I am utterly hating the QT cr@p .. . and python is very quickly getting onto that bandwagon !
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
23 Dec 2020 15:45 - 23 Dec 2020 15:51 #192976 by persei8
I just looked at that code and indeed, add_alarm is not defined anywhere, assuming your file is the same as the one in /usr/share/qtvcp/screens that comes with the linuxcnc-uspace version. I don't see what this has to do with jogging but a quick experiment is to define it and see if it makes a difference. Try adding:

def add_alarm(self):
pass

That didn't come out right. It should be:
def add_alarm(self, message):
    pass
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 15:51 by persei8.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Dec 2020 16:55 #192987 by persei8
I have found that different distros may install qt in directories different from what pyqt expects. Sometimes, you need to figure out where python is searching for it's libraries. No doubt a huge PITA but not necessarily qt's fault.

More
23 Dec 2020 18:09 - 23 Dec 2020 18:10 #192991 by snowgoer540

I just looked at that code and indeed, add_alarm is not defined anywhere, assuming your file is the same as the one in /usr/share/qtvcp/screens that comes with the linuxcnc-uspace version. I don't see what this has to do with jogging but a quick experiment is to define it and see if it makes a difference. Try adding:

def add_alarm(self):
pass

That didn't come out right. It should be:
def add_alarm(self, message):
    pass

Thank you for taking a peek!

Add it anywhere in particular in the handler file?
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 18:10 by snowgoer540.

More
23 Dec 2020 18:33 #192998 by snowgoer540
I added it at line 318. If that's correct, it's not the issue as it didn't change the jog behavior.

Thanks though!

More
23 Dec 2020 18:49 #193001 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Jerky Jogging (QTPlasmaC)
Does it coincide with graphics display and keyboard jogging?

The graphics display takes a lot of processing power.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds