Tool touch-off in QTDragon

More
27 Dec 2020 16:52 #193301 by JohnnyCNC

Hi,

have the same problem that I don't get my manual tool change macro to work properly.
the macro calculates and the qtdragon_handler.py calculates again and this gives me a value that is twice as large.

Unfortunately I can't get any further because I can't program python.

qtdragon - new tool length after a manual tool change

best regards

I have been using the one G-Code file per tool process. My process has been to load and clamp the tool. Touch-off using a touch plate sitting on top of the stock. Load the file and hit cycle start. I get the prompt to load the tool. I confirm that the requested tool is the tool I loaded and click OK. I now have TTS tool holders and would like to use my machine to pre-measure the tools and update the tool table. That way I don't have to touch off the tool every time.

Using the process you stated where the tool is automatically touched off after responding to the tool-change prompt might be a better first step for me as there are some tools that I rarely use that I do not have TTS holders for and those would need to be touched off each time anyway.

I have a feeling that your issue is that both the macro and the touch method in qtdragon_handler.py are adding to the offset. I am going to take a look at that possibility.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2020 20:44 #193310 by JohnnyCNC

"In 2.8 the macros for probing are in nc_files/probe/basicprobe/macros"

I did some digging and found that QTDragon doesn't use the macros for the probing that happens on the Offsets and Tool screens. It is done in the Python code in qtdragon_handler.py file. I'm going to attempt to make a change so that any values that are shown, entered on the screen or in the .ini file are treated at units in the specified by LINEAR_UNITS in the .ini file. Having some values in MM and others in Inches is confusing. If successful I'll have to learn how to contribute changes.

The macros are used for the probing done on the Probe screen. This is a great learning exercise.

Hi,

have the same problem that I don't get my manual tool change macro to work properly.
the marco calculates and the qtdragon_handler.py calculates again and this gives me a value that is twice as large.

best regards

I gave this remap a try but after the Z up where it waits for the tool change to happen I don't get a dialog where you indicate the tool change is complete.

More
27 Dec 2020 22:38 #193317 by JohnnyCNC
I made some more progress. It was hitting an error before popping the dialog box. I still have some issue related to MM to inch conversion but it is kind of working. I need to walk through and draw a map of what each linear motion is doing an what value it is using so I fully understand specifically what it is trying to do. At this point it is generally moving the way I would expect and touching off the tool.

More
28 Dec 2020 06:52 #193344 by seebaer1976

"In 2.8 the macros for probing are in nc_files/probe/basicprobe/macros"

I did some digging and found that QTDragon doesn't use the macros for the probing that happens on the Offsets and Tool screens. It is done in the Python code in qtdragon_handler.py file. I'm going to attempt to make a change so that any values that are shown, entered on the screen or in the .ini file are treated at units in the specified by LINEAR_UNITS in the .ini file. Having some values in MM and others in Inches is confusing. If successful I'll have to learn how to contribute changes.

The macros are used for the probing done on the Probe screen. This is a great learning exercise.

Hi,

the marco calculates and the qtdragon_handler.py calculates again and this gives me a value that is twice as large.

best regards

I gave this remap a try but after the Z up where it waits for the tool change to happen I don't get a dialog where you indicate the tool change is complete.

hi, thanks for your help.

I get the dialog box that I have to confirm that I have changed the tool. he also does the touch test. only there is a double offset at the end.
under axis the script works fine, without errors.
think that in qtdragon_handler.py this code section could possibly be responsible for the duplication:
def touchoff(self, selector):
        if selector == 'touchplate':
            z_offset = float(self.w.lineEdit_touch_height.text())
        elif selector == 'sensor':
            z_offset = float(self.w.lineEdit_sensor_height.text()) - float(self.w.lineEdit_work_height.text())
        else:
            self.add_alarm("Unknown touchoff routine specified")
            return
        self.add_status("Touchoff to {} started".format(selector))
        max_probe = self.w.lineEdit_max_probe.text()
        search_vel = self.w.lineEdit_search_vel.text()
        probe_vel = self.w.lineEdit_probe_vel.text()
        ACTION.CALL_MDI("G21 G49")
        ACTION.CALL_MDI("G10 L20 P0 Z0")
        ACTION.CALL_MDI("G91")
        command = "G38.2 Z-{} F{}".format(max_probe, search_vel)
        if ACTION.CALL_MDI_WAIT(command, 10) == -1:
            ACTION.CALL_MDI("G90")
            return
        if ACTION.CALL_MDI_WAIT("G1 Z4.0"):
            ACTION.CALL_MDI("G90")
            return
        ACTION.CALL_MDI("G4 P0.5")
        command = "G38.2 Z-4.4 F{}".format(probe_vel)
        if ACTION.CALL_MDI_WAIT(command, 10) == -1:
            ACTION.CALL_MDI("G90")
            return
        command = "G10 L20 P0 Z{}".format(z_offset)
        ACTION.CALL_MDI_WAIT(command)
        command = "G1 Z10 F{}".format(search_vel)
        ACTION.CALL_MDI_WAIT(command)
        ACTION.CALL_MDI("G90")

More
28 Dec 2020 13:06 #193358 by JohnnyCNC

I get the dialog box that I have to confirm that I have changed the tool. he also does the touch test. only there is a double offset at the end.
think that in qtdragon_handler.py this code section could possibly be responsible for the duplication:

I should have the remap working on my machine today. Then I will be able to see what is happening. You using are also using the touch plate button on the tool screen correct?

Thanks
John

More
28 Dec 2020 13:42 #193364 by seebaer1976

I should have the remap working on my machine today. Then I will be able to see what is happening. You using are also using the touch plate button on the tool screen correct?

Thanks
John

yes i use too

I also just saw that c-morley missed an update on github in the '/nc_files/remap_lib/python-stdglue/stdglue.py', maybe that will help.

stdglue.py on github

I don't know how to correctly link it with the 'qtdragon_handler.py', because I don't have the python experience for.

mfg
markus

More
29 Dec 2020 04:08 #193397 by JohnnyCNC
One thing I haven't figured out in the messen.ngc file is that variables #2002 & #2003 are being used before they are ever set and they contain 0.0000

#2000=[#5063+#5223] (touch point + NP shift)
#2001=[#2000-#2002+#2003] (New - diff + old)
#2002=[#2000] (Remember the touch point old)
#2003=[#2001] (Remember offset old)

The above translates into:

#2000 = (Z Probe result + G54 Z Coordinate)
#2001=[#2000 - 0.0000 + 0.0000] (New - diff + old)

So in the end #2000 - #2003 all equal the same value.

I have it going through all the correct motions except it is missing the target Z for the top of the stock. I likely have something set improperly. So much more to learn. This is the first time I have had to really dig into the G-Code. Up until now the CAM program took care of it all.

More
29 Dec 2020 10:58 #193410 by seebaer1976
when the first tool is measured and then the second, they are filled

More
30 Dec 2020 05:15 #193488 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic Tool touch-off in QTDragon
I guess I will have to confess that making QtDragon metric only was a little short sighted. Perhaps my New Year's resolution could be to fix that. :dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Feral Engineer

More
30 Dec 2020 11:14 #193510 by seebaer1976
i noticed that many people cook their own soup in processes and routines. and this leads to problems, confusion and misunderstandings.

Perhaps, so that there is no more confusion and / or there are several different routines for certain processes, one could agree on and establish standard routines

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds