Tool touch-off in QTDragon

More
22 Mar 2022 01:27 #237986 by jimboh2
Replied by jimboh2 on topic Tool touch-off in QTDragon
Did you get this sorted? I have an inch mill and am trying to get qtdragon running in inches. I took a quick look at qtdragon_handler.py and reckon I can probably get that working for touch plate but if it has already been solved that would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2022 23:53 #238052 by jimboh2
OK I see 2.0 may have this sorted.

More
23 Mar 2022 01:11 #238062 by JohnnyCNC

Did you get this sorted? I have an inch mill and am trying to get qtdragon running in inches. I took a quick look at qtdragon_handler.py and reckon I can probably get that working for touch plate but if it has already been solved that would be great.

Yes.  I have mine working with a 3D probe and a touch plate.  Although I haven't used the touch plate since I got the 3D probe working.  I'm running QTDragon on LinuxCNC 2.8.   At some point I will switch to LCNC 2.9 and QTDragon_HD.  I may wait until 2.9 becomes the latest stable version.

More
23 Mar 2022 01:49 #238070 by jimboh2
I switched to 2.9 because I saw changes on QTDragon in the touchplate area.
It is sort of working but linuxcnc crashes quite a lot and quite a few unhandled errors. Plus the settings page now says inches but I don't believe they are being handled as such. The values are being taken and used with a G21 with no conversion so guess they are still using mm. I am a little surprised the travel distances during touch plate touchoff are hard coded (in mm) I would have thought they could have been setting variables. I love the look and feel of QTDragon. I have gmoccapy on my other cnc mill with an earlier version of linuxcnc and it seems somewhat dated now. Reckon its going to take a lot of tweaking. Luckily I enjoy that.

More
04 Apr 2022 23:27 #239287 by JohnnyCNC
I'm running QTDragon in 2.8 using inches. In the qtdragon_handler.py I found this line issuing a G21 unconditionally in the touchoff routine..

#ACTION.CALL_MDI("G21 G49")
I commented the above line out and replaced it with the line.below.

ACTION.CALL_MDI("G49") #Cancel Tool Length Compensation

There were also a few other changes I made to allow both inch and mm to be used.  I was under the impression that this issue was fixed in QTDragon_HD that is in 2.9 but I could be wrong.  I haven't looked at 2.9 yet.

I attached my handler file so that you can compare it to yours.

John

File Attachment:

File Name: qtdragon_h...04-04.py
File Size:38 KB
Attachments:

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds