Tool touch-off in QTDragon

More
30 Dec 2020 11:59 #193516 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Tool touch-off in QTDragon
I have pushed a tool probe at m6 remap to linuxcnc's remap folder.
It currently requires you to set param 5000 with the work height - so is not that convenient.
I am working on versaProbe to facilitate probing to the tool setter and work piece, so as to automatically set the param.Getting qtdragon to do the same shouldn't be hard - they share code.

But I just turned on the spindle with my probe in it so need to repair some wires....

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2020 12:56 - 30 Dec 2020 12:58 #193524 by seebaer1976

But I just turned on the spindle with my probe in it so need to repair some wires....

I know only too well

How about if you first have to scan all heights with the touch probe and these are then saved and adopted for everything else.
e.g. the height of the tool sensor and the height of the workpiece must be scanned and these heights are then automatically transferred to the offset widgets and are then available for all further routines.

that would save the manual measurement every time and also eliminate any measuring errors or typing errors, since one is already using the touch probe anyway

have been using probe_screen_v2 under axis for a long time and I have no problems with that
Quick manual tool change (Remap M6) described pretty far below on vers.by
verser-git / probe_screen_v2 on github
Last edit: 30 Dec 2020 12:58 by seebaer1976.

More
30 Dec 2020 13:54 #193541 by JohnnyCNC

I guess I will have to confess that making QtDragon metric only was a little short sighted. Perhaps my New Year's resolution could be to fix that. :dry:

I got mine to switch based on the setting of LINEAR_UNITS or INFO.MACHINE_IS_METRIC. You did such a great job on this interface I don't mind having to do a little tweaking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: persei8

More
30 Dec 2020 14:07 #193543 by JohnnyCNC

Chris

Ouch!, I have a spindle lock that also keeps the spindle from starting but my butt still puckers a little when I put the probe in. I saw a video from NYC CNC where the spindle of the mill turned on and went strait to 10K with the Haimer in the spindle.

Thanks Chris. I'll be watching for the update.

More
30 Dec 2020 14:17 #193544 by JohnnyCNC

How about if you first have to scan all heights with the touch probe and these are then saved and adopted for everything else.
e.g. the height of the tool sensor and the height of the workpiece must be scanned and these heights are then automatically transferred to the offset widgets and are then available for all further routines.

that would save the manual measurement every time and also eliminate any measuring errors or typing errors, since one is already using the touch probe anyway

have been using probe_screen_v2 under axis for a long time and I have no problems with that
Quick manual tool change (Remap M6) described pretty far below on vers.by
verser-git / probe_screen_v2 on github

I was thinking the same kind of thing but I was afraid to ordain a parameter slot for a given purpose. I don't want to tramp on what is being done officially. I will review those docs. I still might try my own solution as a learning experience. The more I look at the code the more familiar it becomes. Next I need to learn the process of contributing and submitting changes. At work I use CVS and TFS source control. I am new to Git.

More
30 Dec 2020 18:04 #193568 by seebaer1976

The more I look at the code the more familiar it becomes. Next I need to learn the process of contributing and submitting changes.

it is the same for me.

I'm currently looking at how I can use the 2.8 as a productive system and at the same time install the 2.9 in parallel to testing and tinkering.
So the 2.8 and the 2.9 at the same time on one pc.
Unfortunately I haven't found anything yet.

do you happen to know how I can do this?

More
30 Dec 2020 18:42 #193573 by tommylight

That is fairly easy to do, install one as normal install and the other as RIP or run in place.
The production version should be installed normally while the development version should be used as RIP as the changes can be verified and tested immediately.
In other words: 2.8 normal install, 2.9 or master as RIP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seebaer1976

More
31 Dec 2020 08:53 #193616 by seebaer1976

That is fairly easy to do, install one as normal install and the other as RIP or run in place.
The production version should be installed normally while the development version should be used as RIP as the changes can be verified and tested immediately.
In other words: 2.8 normal install, 2.9 or master as RIP.

Danke für den Tipp mit RIP, habe es damit finden können

More
31 Dec 2020 11:59 #193632 by tommylight
Es freud mich.
MFG
Tom

More
18 Jan 2021 01:30 #195736 by JohnnyCNC
Well, I finally got my M6 Remap to work. Just a recap of my setup. I'm using QTDragon, a 3D probe, and a tool setter albeit a very crude one at the moment but it works for testing this process. I started with the file in WZ-PROBE.ZIP reference in this thread. The changes I made where basically to store the ABS Z value of the probe Z touch-off offest by the length of the probe in #4999. #4999 would be the Z coordinate if the nose of the spindle was sitting on the work. The length of the probe is stored in the .ini file. Then in the remap code I store the value of #5063 in #1890 before probing the tool setter. Then after the probe is complete I call G10 L2 P1 Z[#4999+#1890].

The remap use G59.3 coordinate system, probes the tool and determines its length. Before using this the top of the tool setter needs to be set to zero for G59.3

Now I just need to clean up the code and replace and hard-coded G54s with the appropriate code make this work with any coordinate system. Then figure out anything I did that could be done better. I didn't use anything on the Offsets page in QTDragon but I think I would like to use the "Touch Sensor" to measure the tool and set the work offset for when I am manually milling or running hand written G-Code.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ikkuh

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds