Kinematics for XYZAB mill

More
27 Nov 2022 21:01 #257763 by rodw
Hi guys, I am a bit lost on how to configure a kinematics module for a 5 AXIS XYZAB mill  something like this:

Any pointers or examples would be really appreciated as I'm not quite sure where to start modifying the provided linematics modules.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2022 21:17 #257765 by chris@cnc
Replied by chris@cnc on topic Kinematics for XYZAB mill
Hi,
i never set up a 5 axis mill with linuxcnc, but this kinematic is not right. B-axis usually wrapped around y-Axis- The C-Axis is wrapped around Z-axis. So the kinematic must be XYZAC and i think we have some examples here
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/motion/5-axis-kinematics.html

More
27 Nov 2022 21:25 - 27 Nov 2022 23:15 #257767 by tommylight
Should be the same thing as axis.sim.vismach.5axis.trt that is included with LinuxCNC, the difference being this has only one side on the rotating table while the sim has the table two sides hanging on bearings.
And that B there looks out of place, or A is out of place, depending on how you look at it.
The rotating part mounted on the swing arm should be C axis.
Edit:
After a bit of pondering and arguing, it is an AB machine.
Thank you Rod and JPL
Last edit: 27 Nov 2022 23:15 by tommylight. Reason: more info

More
27 Nov 2022 22:09 #257775 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Kinematics for XYZAB mill
I think the B axis is correct if it is assumed the swing arm is horizontal in its normal position. eg. it rotates between 6 clock and 12 oclock.  Its not XYZAC in that case. I nearly made that mistake.
And yes @chris, I've never set a 5 axis up either!

More
27 Nov 2022 22:24 #257781 by tommylight
At 12 o'clock it will be inside the spindle, or the spindle will be inside the turnion/turn table, whatever is fastened better wins.

More
27 Nov 2022 22:36 #257786 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Kinematics for XYZAB mill

At 12 o'clock it will be inside the spindle, or the spindle will be inside the turnion/turn table, whatever is fastened better wins.

I don't think such comments are useful.
What we need is  XYZAB kinematics no matter how foreign that sounds to you. 
Andy indicated its possible on this thread
forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configuration/41281-5-axis-xyzab
I need help in this area.

More
27 Nov 2022 22:54 #257791 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic Kinematics for XYZAB mill
Let me put a bit more mud in the water...

I think A and B are right.

The thing is that we are used to have X axis left and right but in this case it is front and back (see legend). The A axis then definitively wrap around the X axis.

Then if you put the B axis at 9 o'clock (horizontal) instead of about 7 o'clock like tit is on the picture you will clearly see that it is in fact rotating around the Y axis.

Note: NO, you cannot put the A axis vertical and then use the B axis as a C axis simply because rodw mentioned that it rotate between 6 and 12 o'clock. (Is that muddy enough?)

What do I win ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Nov 2022 23:13 #257793 by tommylight

The thing is that we are used to have X axis left and right but in this case it is front and back (see legend). The A axis then definitively wrap around the X axis.
Then if you put the B axis at 9 o'clock (horizontal) instead of about 7 o'clock like tit is on the picture you will clearly see that it is in fact rotating around the Y axis.

Yes and yes.

Note: NO, you cannot put the A axis vertical and then use the B axis as a C axis simply because rodw mentioned that it rotate between 6 and 12

It can not go to 12, it will hit the spindle.
It seems something like 4-10 or 5-10 max. Notice the probe position on the right side.

What do I win ?

You both win coffee, any time you drop by, all you can eat/drink is on me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPL

More
27 Nov 2022 23:23 #257794 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic Kinematics for XYZAB mill
@rodw:

This may be a crazy idea but if you modify the machine in such a way that the arm connected to the A axis rotate from 3 to 9 o'clock  you will then have a XYZAC machine since the B axis will then act as a C axis (visualize with the arm at 6 o'clock). (There's also a bracket on the right of the legend that is interfering with such a motion)

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Nov 2022 23:59 #257801 by tommylight
That is exactly what i saw at first!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds