How to configure Horizontal Boring mill

More
11 Dec 2022 10:07 #259187 by yrsiddhapura
Greetings all!!!!!

I am retrofitting a Horizontal Boring Mill with 5 axis configuration X,Y,Z,W,and B so do I need any custom kinematics for this configuration or any one have ever done this kind of configuration could suggest me how to configure ? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2022 15:11 #259195 by andypugh
I think that you can probably run this as a trivial kinematics machine.
It would be very unusual for a HBM to make coordinated moves with the B axis, and even if it did the likelihood is that it would be done in standard rather than TCP G-code.

Have a look in the sample configs:
sim/axis/vismach/hbm
For a sample config including an animated 3D model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yrsiddhapura

More
11 Dec 2022 17:29 #259203 by yrsiddhapura
@andypugh i think i have make confusion here TCP is not on priority (hence will try to implement) right now all I need is to use B axis for some angular movements and indexing and do I have to declare XYZABCUVW all axis in ini file to use B and W or only XYZBW will work

More
11 Dec 2022 17:49 #259206 by andypugh
Assuming that you are using LinuxCNC 2.8+ define only the axes XYZBW. (ie, 5 joints and 5 axes)

In the [DISPLAY]GEOMETRY section you probably want to use BXYZW so that the entire preview rotates with B rather than just the tool.

But, don't expect the G-code preview to be any more than a guide to the actual path, as the preview has no real idea where the actual centre of rotation is in the user coordinates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9, yrsiddhapura

More
13 Dec 2022 04:43 #259296 by yrsiddhapura
@andypugh what will be best Step Len, Step Space, Dirsetup and Dirhold for 1Mhz Filter time of Pulse mine drives could perform at 4Mhz but i set for 1Mhz ?

More
13 Dec 2022 12:52 #259310 by andypugh
You probably don't need MHz pulse rates. It's better to have the step lengths too long rather than too short (the space will follow from the step length and the frequency, but should generally be at least as long as the step)

We typically suggest 5000ns for step length as a starting point, the only reason to go shorter than that is if you can't reach the required motor speeds at that (it gives you a 100kHz step rate, which is 3000 motor rpm even if set up for 2000 steps/rev. )

So, start from motor max speed and steps/rev and work out what frequency you need to get there, and then only go below 5000ns step/space time if you really need to.

The setup times are even less critical, by definition you are moving at zero step/rev and zero speed when you change direction. So 20,000 is generally fine.

It makes no sense to run at the extreme limit of what the drives can accept, as that means that you are on the edge of it _not_ working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, yrsiddhapura

More
14 Dec 2022 12:53 #259457 by yrsiddhapura
Well i had set 5000ns at first but mine drive i have set 10000ppr coz mine ball screw have 10mm pitch and 2:1 reduction so it was required step scale of 2000 and with 5000ns i was getting maxvel error but now i have sorted by reducing half PPR in drive and now with step_scale of 1000 there is no error

More
14 Dec 2022 13:02 #259458 by yrsiddhapura
And could you suggest me how to reduce pwm frequency i am getting frequency of 100khz as mine multi meter says i don't have oscilloscope and mine pwm to voltage converter only support 3khz frequency

More
14 Dec 2022 13:40 #259463 by andypugh
There should be a parameter in the HAL file that you can set with "setp" command.

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html#pwmgen

Something like
setp hm2_7i96.0.pwm_frequency 3000
But it will obviously depend on which card you are using.

With the system running, open a terminal and find the correct pin with:

halcmd show pin *pwm_frequency
The following user(s) said Thank You: yrsiddhapura

More
15 Dec 2022 01:56 #259530 by yrsiddhapura
Well i am using mesa 5i24_25 + 7i52s + 7i52 to with custom firmware with from PWC to get 5 Stepgen, 1 pwm, 6sserial, and 12 encoder with 3rd gen core i5 CPU and 4 gb ram

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds