PC hardware to run LinxCNC

More
02 Jun 2012 13:01 #20597 by arch dude
To minimize heat and power and to maximize reliability, you may want to consider using a diskless, headless setup. I intend to operate this way when I do shift to an Atom. I assume that you have a capable Linux computer somewhere in your house. Set it up as a boot server and as an NFS server, and then set the Atom up to use PXE boot and NFS. Also set the Atom up as a VNC server (or other remote desktop of your choice.) Run this entire mess from a laptop that you can take into your shop and connect via wifi to your LAN.

I also have delusions of using my smartphone or Kindle fire as a pendant. Same as a laptop but possibly with a alternate remote desktop app and using a simplified UI in the LinuxCNC machine.
The topic has been locked.
More
02 Jun 2012 16:29 #20604 by BigJohnT
AlexN wrote:

Hi John,

I meant to put in where I was from in my initial post, but got distracted and forgot :rolleyes: :whistle:. My apologies!

I'm inclined to use Campbell board since I have it already, although i can't remember what I paid for it; however, five or so years ago the $Oz was a lot lower wrt the $US than it is currently (that appears to be changing again, though).

I did in fact order a BOX525DW from a crowd here in Sydney this afternoon, for AU$90 + postage, having been seduced by the idea of having the computer in the same box as the CNC controls - and had in fact been recenlty, albeit vaguely toying with the idea of doing just that, although I didn't then quite know how I was going to go about. Thanks to you people, I now do :).

That just leaves a few things like memory and psu that I will take my time over. Likewise, i'll read throughthe 5i25's manual, which I downloaded from Mesa's website and have a bit of a think. My current impression is that it might be better at handling sigal timing than the onboard lpt1, but I could be wrong there.

Cheers,
Alex.

Indeed the 5i25 will be faster than the parallel port, the question is will you be able to use the speed? The low latency of the 525 will give some nice step rates. I'd get 525 up and running with your current hardware and see if software step generation is fast enough for your needs, if not you can add the 5i25.

IIRC the 525 takes special memory like laptop or something I forget exactly now.

John
More
02 Jun 2012 19:14 #20614 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:PC hardware to run LinxCNC
It should be no big deal to make a 5I25 config for the Campbell board (a few minutes of cut/pasteing the pinout file), but for a simple small step driven mill a 5I25 is really overkill especially since the Atom MBs provide such good latency figures. So like John says start with a parallel port configuration and if you need better performance, then consider upgrading your hardware.
More
03 Jun 2012 05:03 #20621 by jmelson
BigJohnT wrote:

IIRC the 525 takes special memory like laptop or something I forget exactly now.

John

Yes, the Intel D525MW takes 204-pin DRAM sticks, where the older ones used
240-pin.

Jon
More
03 Jun 2012 11:58 #20622 by AlexN
Replied by AlexN on topic Re:PC hardware to run LinxCNC
arch dude wrote:

To minimize heat and power and to maximize reliability, you may want to consider using a diskless, headless setup. I intend to operate this way when I do shift to an Atom. I assume that you have a capable Linux computer somewhere in your house. Set it up as a boot server and as an NFS server, and then set the Atom up to use PXE boot and NFS. Also set the Atom up as a VNC server (or other remote desktop of your choice.) Run this entire mess from a laptop that you can take into your shop and connect via wifi to your LAN.

I also have delusions of using my smartphone or Kindle fire as a pendant. Same as a laptop but possibly with a alternate remote desktop app and using a simplified UI in the LinuxCNC machine.

Hi arch dude,

I really like the idea of an SSD - I'm currently looking at what these wee beasties cost - I can obtain, for e.g., a Corsair 60GB Force Series 3 SSD for AU$85, which would seem way more than enough for this setup, given that my Parallels Ubuntu/LinuxCNC2.5 image on my Mac is just shy of 3 GB (I installed it for fun ;). Speaking of running headless, back when I first go the hardware, I ran EMC2 from the other end of the house via Gbit ethernet in an xterm on the Mac, the (now defunct) PC being in the workshop. OS X having UNIX underpinnings (apparently "UNIX "Certified"" - for whatever worth that is, I don't know) helps in that respect. THe ocre of the system is FreeBSD, I think - but don't quote me. At any rate, EMC2 worked like a charm in the xterm so I was able to get a feel for it, although I've probably forgotten most of it, hence the Parallels installation.

Whether I can set the iMac up as a boot server without adding the abysmal, lobotomised "Lion "Server"", I'll have to investigate. I might be able to get he old G5 box running SnowLeopard to do that. Or install a PowerPC version of Linux on that ;). That's something that I ve been meaning to try out for years and never had the real motivation until now!

I like the idea of a smartphone pendant!

Cheers,
Alex.
More
03 Jun 2012 11:59 #20623 by AlexN
Hi Jon,

Useful to know, thanks :).

Cheers,
Alex.
More
03 Jun 2012 12:03 - 10 Jun 2012 00:47 #20624 by AlexN
jmelson wrote:

BigJohnT wrote:

John

Yes, the Intel D525MW takes 204-pin DRAM sticks, where the older ones used
240-pin.

Jon

Hi John,

That's on the top of the list of post-Atom-purchase acquisitions!
#1 memory;
#2 psu;
#3 ssd;
#4 enclosure - I've had several thoughts about that including modding the old PC tower with hinges and a door interlock switch.

Cheers,
Alex.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2012 00:47 by AlexN.
More
03 Jun 2012 12:33 #20625 by arch dude
SSD versus PXE boot with NFS is really a question of money vs. time. SSE is easy, but the drive costs about the same as the motherboard. PXE/NFS is more work to set up, but costs nothing if you have the server already. performance for this task is not an issue: either will just work.

In contrast to the machine controller (which must meet LinuxCNC's requirements) you can use any random computer to run as a Linux server. I personally think a gig-e interface is highly desireable, and you clearly need enough disk to support whatever services you intend it to provide.
More
04 Jun 2012 01:05 #20627 by AlexN
PCW wrote:

It should be no big deal to make a 5I25 config for the Campbell board (a few minutes of cut/pasteing the pinout file), but for a simple small step driven mill a 5I25 is really overkill especially since the Atom MBs provide such good latency figures. So like John says start with a parallel port configuration and if you need better performance, then consider upgrading your hardware.

Thanks for the info - I'll run with onboard port first and see what happens. I'd better get busy assembling the gear!

Cheers,
Alex.
More
06 Jun 2012 12:10 #20674 by andypugh
AlexN wrote:

Finding the Atom board is a bit tricky here too as production appears to have been halted ("due to lack of demand"

This one:
www.mini-box.com.au/Intel%20DN2800MT%20M...X%20Motherboard.html
Has a good latency and has a parallel port header on the board (not on the back panel, so you also need something like
www.ebay.com.au/itm/120890334062
(or you could make your own special cable up: australia.rs-online.com/web/p/discrete-wire-housing/6800938/ (you need the terminals seperately, and a crimping tool, though)

Finding PSUs for the Atom in this country is likewise a bit difficult,

The reason I mentioned the board above is that it has a 12V power jack, so you don't need a computer PSU.
However, www.mini-box.com.au/dc-dc%20atx%20power%20supplies.html will work. I have only filled part of the ATX connector on my D510MO board, and have ignored the extra 2x2 and it works fine.
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds