PC hardware to run LinxCNC

More
21 Jun 2012 14:50 - 23 Jun 2012 01:01 #21178 by AlexN
Replied by AlexN on topic Re:PC hardware to run LinxCNC
[img][/img]Well, I've ordered the Terminal blocks and jumper strips from RS (Aus) in the end. Plus some other bits and pieces including some XLR connectors for the cables to the motors and other functions. I thought about getting the ebay blocks but decided that I'd probably br safer if I got the matching jumpers as the commended (by RS) units. As they say, the fool and his (or her) money are soon parted.

Here's another snap of the nascent control box, with a Gecko 203V and 8.2Kohm resistor (for the 1A/phase motor(s)) perched precariously on a corner of the frame - sort of where it might end up:

Here's its Flickr page link - Flickr make me do this *sigh*, a good reason to a. not post my snaps and b. possibly not use Flickr. I guess I could upload it to the Forum(?) but that takes up uneccesary disk space here that I am already paying Flickr for *another sigh*.

There is a bit more room than I thought if I drop the case's own rails down a notch from what it is in the photo, and bunch up the boards a bit. Hopefully the memory and SSD will arrive next week - I'm anxious to get that side of things finally sorted out.

Btw, the thing dangling from the end of the narrow ribbon cable is the board holding the four sets of step/dir LEDS that are associated with the motors (4 axes). Two per motor: green for step, red for dir (I think).
Last edit: 23 Jun 2012 01:01 by AlexN.
The topic has been locked.
More
21 Jun 2012 19:33 #21182 by BigJohnT
It's not a problem to upload images to the forum.

John
More
25 Jun 2012 12:13 #21288 by AlexN
BigJohnT wrote:

It's not a problem to upload images to the forum.

John

Thanks for that, John :). I was going to post a snap of the newly-completed array of bits and pieces for the computer, the last parts (memory and SSD) having turned up this morning, but things have not going as expected - or, I should say, hoped.

I'm not quite sure what's going on, but while the board seems to be powering up, there is no connection between the (VGA) screen and the D525's (VGA) display port. It isn't the display, as it works fine hooked up tot the G5 (via a VGA-DVI adapter). this suggests that there is something wrong with the board - I have tried the SSD out in the G5 and the system sees it OK, albeit as an unpartitioned, unformatted drive.

So I've been feeling a bit of a fool - and won't upload the snap that I was going to upload to the forum as a test.

The green power LED on the board is lighting up, and there is power through at least some of the circuits as the USB CD/DVDD drive hooked up to one of the board's USB ports, that has my Ubuntu 10.04/LinuxCNC 2.5(?) disc in it, powers up fine when I turn on the little Pico150 PSU.

I'll pull the memory out next but I've a feeling that something on the MB has cooked - maybe a stray touch from the fingers even, despite my care and the anti-static strap that I purposely dug out for the occasion (and clipped onto a sturdy metal object). Another answer might be the low-voltage monitor that I'm using: it runs off a 12V switch-mode wall wart (like the Mini-Box Pico) and the board isn't the LVDS version...

Hmm...
More
25 Jun 2012 12:39 #21291 by BigJohnT
Do you have another monitor to test with? I just use regular monitors on mine.

John
More
25 Jun 2012 13:08 - 25 Jun 2012 13:22 #21295 by AlexN
BigJohnT wrote:

Do you have another monitor to test with? I just use regular monitors on mine.

John

Yes, but I've got slightly the wrong VGA-DVI adapter, and the "spare" monitor ( actually the wife's, but she's overseas) has four extra pins that the adapter doesn't have the right sockets for. I keep thinking that I had one that worked, but I think that's just wishful thinking. A trip up to the shops ( in this case the local Apple Store) will be needed.

Thanks for the suggestion :).

Alex.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2012 13:22 by AlexN.
More
25 Jun 2012 13:55 - 25 Jun 2012 13:56 #21297 by andypugh
AlexN wrote:

The green power LED on the board is lighting up, and there is power through at least some of the circuits as the USB CD/DVDD drive hooked up to one of the board's USB ports, that has my Ubuntu 10.04/LinuxCNC 2.5(?) disc in it, powers up fine when I turn on the little Pico150 PSU.

The green light comes on whether the board is powered up or not. The board won't turn on when powere is first applied, you need to also make the switch-on circuit. This is two pins on a 9-pin header which is for power-up, reset, Power-On LED and HDD LED.
The boards come with a big sticker showing the location of this header (and the other ports) but you might not have that.

I'll pull the memory out next but I've a feeling that something on the MB has cooked - maybe a stray touch from the fingers even, despite my care and the anti-static strap that I purposely dug out for the occasion (and clipped onto a sturdy metal object).

I have taken less than no care with mine (which spent several weeks sat on a nylon carpet) and it is fine, so I doubt youhave killed yours.

Another answer might be the low-voltage monitor that I'm using: it runs off a 12V switch-mode wall wart (like the Mini-Box Pico) and the board isn't the LVDS version....

LVDS is an alternative connector to VGA, and an alternative (digital) image-sending protocol. You physically can't plug an LVDS monitor into a VGA port.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2012 13:56 by andypugh.
More
25 Jun 2012 14:14 #21302 by AlexN
Aha! Thanks. I'd given the sticker - which I do have, and a whacking great poster - a hurried look earlier but overlooked that header thinking that it was a duplicate USB header, rather than actually reading what it said :rolleyes:. Of course. Stupid me, I should have worked that one out for myself :blush:.

The whacking great poster is even more explicit with instructive and useful icons, oh deary, deary me. *sigh*. It's all really easily sorted...

Thanks for the object-lesson!

Alex.
More
25 Jun 2012 18:06 #21313 by andypugh
AlexN wrote:

Stupid me, I should have worked that one out for myself.

It might make you feel better to ponder why I guessed that as a possible solution so quickly :-)
More
25 Jun 2012 21:12 #21324 by gera229
Since you aren't using a computer case, you need to set up the power-up button. I doubt your motherboard is turned on. A led may be on, but the motherboard is power-off so it will not show on the monitor.
More
26 Jun 2012 06:15 - 26 Jun 2012 06:15 #21332 by AlexN
andypugh wrote:

AlexN wrote:

Stupid me, I should have worked that one out for myself.

It might make you feel better to ponder why I guessed that as a possible solution so quickly :-)

: )

gera229 wrote:

Since you aren't using a computer case, you need to set up the power-up button. I doubt your motherboard is turned on. A led may be on, but the motherboard is power-off so it will not show on the monitor.

Yes indeed!

I spent a few happy minuets gutting the old PC tower for parts, netting the ATX switch, a reset button, speaker, a couple of rectangular LEDs, and a chassis plate which I might use. In fact, I could have simply removed the PUS and used the old computer box, thereby saving $$$... Still, I've got a case in case I decide to build (yet) another PC. Now to test out this "new" component and hopefully fire up (but not set fire to) the new MB :).

Cheers,
Alex.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 06:15 by AlexN.
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds