PC hardware to run LinxCNC

More
02 Jul 2012 06:08 #21480 by AlexN
Replied by AlexN on topic Re:PC hardware to run LinxCNC
gera229 wrote:

My question was based on your post where you already disabled hyperthreading and already set Isolcpus to 1.

Reread it, I mainly asked if the first jitter latency was no higher than 12656 (you said that's the value you got with it all setup properly with hyperthreading disabled and Isolcpus set to 1), what was the second jitter latency and what values were both of the interval latencies?

Gera

Hi Gera,

Hmm...that's stretching my memory - and it's only a couple of days ;). As far as I can recall, it was slightly less. I'll switch back inot that version of the system, crank it all up and rerun the sniffer.
The topic has been locked.
More
02 Jul 2012 07:37 #21481 by gera229
Actually, I'm more looking forward to seeing you run your CNC machine rather than testing the latency once again haha.
12k and under is not bad at all especially if you use a controller card.
More
02 Jul 2012 07:52 #21482 by AlexN
OK, this is an approximation (for "last interval" values) of the (live) sniffer after a couple of hours' running:
                                         Max Interval (ns)     Max Jitter (ns)     Last Interval (ns)
Servo thread (1.0ms)                    1003059                    7899                     995609
Base thread (25.0us)                        41894                  16928                       24937

This is, of course, with "isolcpus=1" (per 07_rtai), hyperthreading off in the BIOS, and a number of pdfs (including a coule of the larger LinuxCNC manuals), Firefox (a few tabs), "Eye of Gnome 2.23" with the original (and only) screenshot loaded, Synaptic packet manager, Ayam (NURBS modeller), the system monitor, the sniffer of course, a folder window, glxgears, and three terminals (one of which glxgrears is running from as "glxgears &"). The machine is also connected to a VPN session on the iMac as well (it looks much nicer on the iMac's sharper screen than on the rather iffy touchscreen, and is about the same size).

Note that the "Max Jitter" values haven't changed in those two hours. Also note that the system monitor shows the single operating CPU as being max-ed out at 100 %, the other one is sitting idle at 0 % (of course).

This is on the first system that I installed; 12.4 % of memory (out of 4 GB) used, and o % of swap space used. The CPU heat sink feels "mildly warm", but it also has a 90 mm fan (connected to the D525's three-pin chassis fan socket) blowing across one end of it (the mess of cables on the desk has pushed it out of way of the bulk of the sink).

Interestingly, the network part of the monitor is showing sustained high ethernet activity, due to the VPN link with the iMac, no doubt.
More
02 Jul 2012 07:55 #21483 by AlexN
gera229 wrote:

Actually, I'm more looking forward to seeing you run your CNC machine rather than testing the latency once again haha.
12k and under is not bad at all especially if you use a controller card.

Heh, you and me both! I'm still fussing (some uncharitable but accurate persons might say "fooling") about with cables and enclosures, but it's getting there - slowly.
More
02 Jul 2012 08:03 - 02 Jul 2012 08:03 #21484 by AlexN
Another note: I have tested the mains swtitch for the drive power train - it didn't blow the socket's fuse into a squillion tiny particles and trip the ELCB this time ;). Following that I hooked up the toroid and got readings from the two combinations of 2ary wires, then hooked one red and the black centre-tap up to the PMDX power board, which gave an output of 80-ish V (I haven't tested the current yet).

I can't get the breakout board fired up until I've got the parallel port cable - whichever config I decide on - soldered up. Which, with my soldering "skills", is going to take quite some time.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2012 08:03 by AlexN.
More
02 Jul 2012 10:00 #21486 by andypugh
AlexN wrote:

Another note: I have tested the mains swtitch for the drive power train - it didn't blow the socket's fuse into a squillion tiny particles and trip the ELCB this time ;)

ELCBs (or RCDs as we call them in the UK) can be rather troublesome. I ended up powering my VFD through a solid-state relay controlled by LinuxCNC. This is deliberately of the type that only turns on at the mains zero-crossing so the surge current into the capacitors is much less.
More
02 Jul 2012 13:48 - 02 Jul 2012 13:51 #21493 by AlexN
andypugh wrote:

AlexN wrote:

Another note: I have tested the mains swtitch for the drive power train - it didn't blow the socket's fuse into a squillion tiny particles and trip the ELCB this time ;)

ELCBs (or RCDs as we call them in the UK) can be rather troublesome. I ended up powering my VFD through a solid-state relay controlled by LinuxCNC. This is deliberately of the type that only turns on at the mains zero-crossing so the surge current into the capacitors is much less.

Ahem...the reason that the fuse blew and the ELCB/RCD tripped was that the idiot who wired the switch (me) literally got his wires crossed :blush:.
Hence making sure that I'd got it right before adding anything else to the chain! And why I'm quadruple-checking the DB25 pinouts - computer and breakout board - in case I do something stupid there too...
Last edit: 02 Jul 2012 13:51 by AlexN.
More
02 Jul 2012 19:19 - 02 Jul 2012 19:20 #21501 by gera229
AlexN wrote:

but it also has a 90 mm fan (connected to the D525's three-pin chassis fan socket) blowing across one end of it (the mess of cables on the desk has pushed it out of way of the bulk of the sink).

The motherboard has sockets for a fan? I'm curious to know where. Or is it your case that you are talking about?

I do not know what all these switches are, my CNC is rather going to be simple with 1 main power switch and that's basically it. But if switches are valuable, I'm interested to know of their functions and operation.
I'm not getting my parts until the end of July so it will take quite a while before you see me running a CNC. My idea is based off of diylilcnc.org and I got the same very affordable controller in a kit as they have (hobbycnc.com Pro board package) because they've had excellent experience and can help me if needed.
They also have a LinuxCNC set up file for that hobbycnc.com controller which is nice because it saves some extra hassle.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2012 19:20 by gera229.
More
03 Jul 2012 14:04 - 03 Jul 2012 14:07 #21523 by AlexN
gera229 wrote:

AlexN wrote:

but it also has a 90 mm fan (connected to the D525's three-pin chassis fan socket) blowing across one end of it (the mess of cables on the desk has pushed it out of way of the bulk of the sink).

The motherboard has sockets for a fan? I'm curious to know where. Or is it your case that you are talking about?

In btween the large slotted-fin heat sink and the row of potrs at the "back" of the board, there's a three-pin header (mine's a red-brown colour). The big chart that comes with the board (or should have) shows how to install the fan. There's also a pdf manual on the Intel site, and most likely on the disk that also came with the board (although i haven't even taken that disk out of the box, I must confess!).

You need a three pin fan so that the logic on the board can control its speed according to the built-in temperature sensor. Note that this is a fan for - I think - attaching to the case, not the heatsink, but I may be wrong. In any case, that's how I'm going to use it.

I do not know what all these switches are, my CNC is rather going to be simple with 1 main power switch and that's basically it. But if switches are valuable, I'm interested to know of their functions and operation.

I currently have just the one (10A-fused) switch, which I will add some piggy-back spade connectors to to tap off power to the breakout board (240 V in my case) and to the drives (240 V -> 70-80 V via toroid and bridge-rectifier/capacitor board). A second switch for the computer seems to me like a good idea, even though all circuits will be powerered from the same mains line (people can throw rocks at my "logic" should they wish ;)).

I'm not getting my parts until the end of July so it will take quite a while before you see me running a CNC. My idea is based off of diylilcnc.org and I got the same very affordable controller in a kit as they have (hobbycnc.com Pro board package) because they've had excellent experience and can help me if needed.
They also have a LinuxCNC set up file for that hobbycnc.com controller which is nice because it saves some extra hassle.

I'll be interested to browse about on the hobbycnc site.

At the rate I'm going, July will have long gone before I'm up and running. This evening I got a piece of DIN rail cut for the terminal block array, and did a test assembly with a crude but surpisingly effective home-made "jumper" to connect 8+4 jumpers/blocks into a unit of twelve of which there will be two units, one +ve, one -ve (power links to the geckos and other devices fed from the PMDX power board).
Last edit: 03 Jul 2012 14:07 by AlexN.
More
03 Jul 2012 14:17 - 03 Jul 2012 21:26 #21524 by AlexN
andypugh wrote:

AlexN wrote:

That's something to think about.. I'll browse about for this too. Which for some reason reminds me that I got the wires at one end of a bit of 26 way ribbon cable tinned prior to soldering 'em onto a (used) male D25 connector. The other end gets a 26 way IDC female socket (for the breakout board). As long as I'm consistent with following the standard pinouts (i.e, the locations of pin 1) and those claimed on the BOB itself, things should be OK...
Last edit: 03 Jul 2012 21:26 by AlexN.
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds