PC hardware to run LinxCNC

More
26 Jun 2012 07:27 - 26 Jun 2012 07:28 #21334 by AlexN
Replied by AlexN on topic Re:PC hardware to run LinxCNC
Still nowt. Unless the ATX switch is faulty (the multimeter suggests that it isn't) the problem would seem to lie elsewhere. And I had the switch plugged into the right pins (6 & 8) on the front panel header ;). Presumably shorting pins 6 & 8 with a shunt is right out given that the ATX appears to be a momentary on type. I haven't had to build up a computer from this low a level before, the case, PSU and trimmings already always having been supplied in a functional state. Hmm...
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 07:28 by AlexN.
The topic has been locked.
More
26 Jun 2012 08:27 - 26 Jun 2012 08:27 #21336 by gera229
Did you put the correct wires in those pins?
Also some pins have polarity, maybe you can try switching it?

Also make sure you are supplying the right amount of power to the board.

Post a picture of your setup so that I can take a look at your board. I feel like something is not connected right.

Make the picture BIG so that I can see too please. Also zoom into the power and reset pins with the connector on so that I can verify you put it right because I have the same board and it's working perfectly for me.

Well I've built a few computer before so I had the experience to easily put this one together.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 08:27 by gera229.
More
26 Jun 2012 10:08 - 26 Jun 2012 10:25 #21343 by AlexN
Hi gera229:

Here's some links straight to three images on Flickr - these are the original size. I was in too much of a hurry to post them here (not having uploaded things here before).

1. Front panel header with ATX switch lead plugged in. Standby power LED is lit (although camera flash obscures this a bit)
www.flickr.com/photos/alex1n/7446800986/sizes/o/in/photostream ;

2. The Mini-Box Pico150 (150W) 24+4-pin PSU plugged into the D525MW's ATX socket; "P4" connector likewise plugged into the CPU's power socket
www.flickr.com/photos/alex1n/7446802880/sizes/o/in/photostream/ ;

3. General overview
www.flickr.com/photos/alex1n/7446804968/sizes/o/in/photostream/ .

Note that the SSD and the memory have been disconnected in these snaps, but were installed during failed attempts to get the board cranked up.

I'm currently reading the board's manual *gasp* ;).

Another couple of notes: the three-pin CPU fan taken from the old machine (a PII chip) runs when the power is connected; an LED from the old machine lights up (steady glow, no flash-sequences) when plugged into the front panel header (pins 1 & 2).
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 10:25 by AlexN.
More
26 Jun 2012 10:31 #21344 by andypugh
AlexN wrote:

Presumably shorting pins 6 & 8 with a shunt is right out given that the ATX appears to be a momentary on type.

I don't think it does any harm. Though I was starting my board by touching the pins with a screwdriver for a few days.
More
26 Jun 2012 10:32 #21345 by andypugh
AlexN wrote:

Another couple of notes: the three-pin CPU fan taken from the old machine (a PII chip) runs when the power is connected; an LED from the old machine lights up (steady glow, no flash-sequences) when plugged into the front panel header (pins 1 & 2).

Ah, that seems to indicate that the MB is powering up now.

Still nothing at all on the monitor?
More
26 Jun 2012 10:45 #21347 by AlexN
Nothing at all. Not a flicker from it, and I know that the monitor works, I tired it out on the G5 PowerPC. *scratches head*
More
26 Jun 2012 10:46 #21348 by AlexN
Maybe the video circuit is kaput?
More
26 Jun 2012 10:59 - 26 Jun 2012 11:13 #21352 by AlexN
It's a pity that I don't have a SATA hard disk with a functioning Linux system on it - they're either IDE or SCSI drives. So I can't use them to test the HDD LED. And the SSD is, of course, blank. What a nuisance.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 11:13 by AlexN.
More
26 Jun 2012 11:28 - 26 Jun 2012 11:33 #21354 by AlexN
I realised as soon as I'd posted my last message that I did of course have PCI SCSI and IDE controller cards, so I went and retrieved them, plus one of each disk. I could only find the IDE cable and I have a nasty suspicion that the SCSI cable went out with a whole lot of other stuff in a desperate attempt to do some tidying in what I laughingly call my workshop.

So I went with the IDE card and disk. The disk made some awful noises, but it at least demonstrates, along with the fan, that there is power in parts of the MB other than the standby circuit. No it doesn't! The power is coming straight off the PSU! So no idea if the PCI card is working either. Plugging an LED into either the MB or the PIC card (either way round) doesn't result in anything.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 11:33 by AlexN.
More
26 Jun 2012 11:37 #21356 by andypugh
AlexN wrote:

Maybe the video circuit is kaput?

Does the monitor wake from sleep?
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds