linuxcnc-esp32 Software Stepping over Ethernet Using ESP32

More
30 Apr 2021 22:06 #207495 by Bari
Another software stepgen using a microcontroller for fast stepping. Haven't tried it yet.

github.com/Deotti-cl/linuxcnc-esp32

Software Stepping over Ethernet Using ESP32
The following user(s) said Thank You: MX_Master

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2021 03:04 #207598 by Bari
Found a video of this in action:

More
02 May 2021 12:15 #207616 by tjtr33
Hi Bari
I picked up an esp32 to play with
I looked at this code a >tiny< bit, and the hardware used.

He used a laptop->ethernet->w5500->esp32
so the data protocl is UDP then the data is transmitted with SPI to the esp32
I _think_ thats what is happening
So, I'm looking to see if the ethernet/udp/w6600 layer can be removed
leaving data->spi->esp32
which would be nice for any pi (r/o/b)
or, _any_ spi microcontroller

theres too many new developments to chase!
tomp

More
09 May 2021 19:20 #208406 by Bari
UDP may be removed, but that is the beauty of this version of an external stegen on a micro. The PC/Opi/Rpi/Rock64 etc may be 100's of meters apart from the micro.

More
15 May 2021 15:35 #208922 by Cncninja
I really want to make an all inclosed controller with a touchscreen. Based on an SBC. I was looking at the pi but was put off on the cost of a Mesa. Ive been following the Lpc1768 dev and Banana Pi dev. i liked the Banana project but the low ram and availability of the older H3,H5,H6 boards have me on a pause. How do you think this project stacks up? an esp32 feeding into a cheap BOB and a RPI 4 would be awesome I just don't know how developed all the I/o is ect on this project. I think a direct SPI would be great, as my application would be all in a small case. i want to make this to show a alternitive to the cheap ofline controllers filling the market like the DDCSV. if some one could make basically the same but linuxcnc powered at around the same cost i think this would become the new go to for DIY.

More
15 May 2021 17:53 #208941 by BeagleBrainz
Once you start realising how much space a driver for each axis takes up, add in the PSU’s needed, the gear to turn them on and off, don’t kid yourself if you lose power and it comes back on again you don’t want everything to power up at once. That little box has grown. Now if you have a vfd to control a spindle and not share all it’s noise that’s gunna a few more bits and bobs to do it properly.
Also remember that the connectors to take the I/O to and from the controller take up space.
Now the more you cram into a small box the harder any mods or repairs will be.
At the end of the day, and I say this with the utmost respect, you’ll be wishing you had something bigger.
Now in saying all that, I do think this project has some merit. In fact I have a single axis project in the works that this will be perfect for.
As far as I am aware, could see, apart from some encoders there doesn’t appear any other o/i . Although there is a great chance I’m wrong.

More
15 May 2021 18:47 #208953 by Bari
All of the Rpi, Opi, Bpi, esp32 etc boards are very low cost. The Mesa boards are also less than the cost of some of my tools or holders. With the recent prices for sheet metal the Mesa boards are around the price of an enclosure.

If you are building a tiny CNC router and are using a savaged spindle from an old router and also planning on just making artwork with it sitting on an old card table then maybe you can save a little bit of money using this.

Saving a $100-200 on some parts for a $10K+ in parts machine that has a collection of $10K in tooling, but costs me another $1k of my time to build might not be a good fit. Some of my multi-pin connectors cost more than a few esp32's. You still have to mount and wire all of this.

I see projects like this and Allwinner CNC and machinekit+ BBB as proof of concepts to be applied to unique applications or learning platforms.

More
15 May 2021 19:32 #208961 by BeagleBrainz
Great point there Bari.
Tooling is the big cost. I’m only running a simple BF20, and only for my various hobbies, throw in. Decent vice and you’re a third to a half of your initial cost. Collets and cutters, dial gauges and indicators and it starts getting up there.
Why skimp on the controller hardware ?
A little Chinese desktop router might run fine with grbl, but for any serious stuff it’s not going to be cheap.
Whilst the Mesa products might look expensive at first, when you start looking at them, they are ready to hookup to a machine. All the fiddly stuff is sorted, isolation, voltage translation and the sort.
Ever looked at how much the plugin screw terminals are in small quantities are that Mesa use ? That’s once you have found them, especially the ones that will sit side by side.
I’d guess that the quantity used on the 7i76 would exceed the $100 mark from somewhere like RS or Farnells, don’t ask how I know.
Mesa are, as we say Down Under, bloody good bang for buck. And the firsthand support you get is the only thing that exceeds the product itself.
The BBB wasn’t all that bad when I used it with MK, but at the end of the day it lost out. Though I do have a tiny chinese desktop router......

More
15 May 2021 20:51 #208972 by tommylight

Mesa are, as we say Down Under, bloody good bang for buck. And the firsthand support you get is the only thing that exceeds the product itself.

+1
But i might be biased as i have used over 60 or 70 of them by now ...
And before anyone gets any fuzzy idea, i did pay for ALL of them, even when i was offered some for free i politely declined.

More
15 May 2021 22:13 #208987 by Cncninja
Yes, i understand what your saying i have a Haas OM-2A, Tormach S3 1100, Multicam router, etc I have lots in looking. it's not that I'm trying to cheap out on a controller, I think LinuxCNC is great based on Pathpilot. i have a need for 100 controllers all set up the same. so coming up with a solution that fits the bill over the DDCSV is where I'm at. The RPi with SPI to an SKR board has everything a mesa has connectors, Opto's, even step drivers built-in wich are sized ok for my application. Im just trying to explore sustainable options when Mesa card are out of stock let alone 100 of them. My plan is to make a dedicated PCB for the RPI 4 Compute module with dedicated step gen processer whether its an LPC or STM32 etc

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds