Teensy based CNC board

More
12 May 2022 01:30 #242701 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Teensy based CNC board

This thread has gone way off topic.
That being said, there are some good arguments from both sides, i have been and still am on both sides ...
On the flip side, i really fail to understand why some members here give such damaging statements without ever bothering to check the reality, namely that Mesa is "proprietary" and "use of chinese parts" as none of those are true as far as i know, on the contrary, anyone here that needed "special" firmware got it inside of a day by the owner of the Mesa company, anyone who needed the schematics for a board got it inside of a day from Mesa owner.
Those making such statements, let the above sink in for a while... That is something that will never ever happen with any other company on earth.
-
I could not find the offending line regarding parts used, probably deleted by the poster, but the "proprietary" statement is still there.
-
I would leave everything, except the offending stuff, and that should be deleted by the original poster as one of them did. Thank you

I'd like to let this die but I don't like the statements you made there, it makes it sound like I'm lying. Now this got blown waaaaay out of proportion and the only point I was trying to make is that ........well, Mesa uses some Chinese stuff too. I didn't say the proprietary thing, I don't know what that's supposed to mean but all of my statements are still there. My problem with your statement is you're making it sound like I lied when it's pretty easy to verify the chip I posted the photo of.

I was talking about the connectors probably being Chinese, that may not be the case....who cares. The example I gave that I know is true is that on a 7i96 there are magnetic isolators that are typically meant for ethernet applications. They are made by Link-PP, part number is lp41604anl. Link-PP is headquartered in China, the chip is made in China, the datasheet looks like something you bought on Aliexpress, they have 1 single distributor in the US, NAC-Semi.

Again, I personally don't give a shit where a coil of wire inside of a plastic package was made. It's not like I don't own plenty of Chinese stuff, I'd like to know who doesn't. You won't find me badmouthing Mesa's quality or support I know Peter is a great help to this community. I'm just not a la-la land kinda person. 7i96's were like $80 when they first came out IIRC  and if Mesa made those PCBs in the US, had them assembled in the US, with almost all non-China components at the volume they sell, and I'm not saying that's not the case...........but holy shit, Mesa would be a beacon of American manufacturing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2022 01:38 #242702 by ALittleOffTheRails
Whilst the original might have gone:

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/43212-tee...oard?start=30#242309

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/43212-tee...oard?start=30#242350

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/43212-tee...oard?start=40#242637

Three examples.

I think there needs to be a a retraction and an apology. A deletion of a post does not address the false information. Someone may use the post as a an argument for low quality parts in Mesa's products. I would like to see the poster address this, say that his opinion was misguided. Therefore if there is a link to the post rather than it being deleted a correction is there setting the record straight.
Balzini36 I'm not having a go at you, we all make eff up from time to time, so just set it straight and it's all good.
As much as you dislike the alternative projects being criticized for not being a "complete solution" how would you feel if misinformation was being put out there about a product you were producing commercially ? Also there are the resellers and those that include Mesa hardware in their end project, and have also supported the Linuxcnc project.

More
12 May 2022 01:40 #242703 by blazini36
And BTW, I'm fine with all of these last posts being deleted, mine and others who contributed to that conversation. Please, just don't alude to me not telling the truth about something that is true albeit retardedly overblown.

More
12 May 2022 01:42 #242704 by blazini36

Three examples.

I think there needs to be a a retraction and an apology. A deletion of a post does not address the false information. Someone may use the post as a an argument for low quality parts in Mesa's products. I would like to see the poster address this, say that his opinion was misguided. Therefore if there is a link to the post rather than it being deleted a correction is there setting the record straight.
Balzini36 I'm not having a go at you, we all make eff up from time to time, so just set it straight and it's all good.
As much as you dislike the alternative projects being criticized for not being a "complete solution" how would you feel if misinformation was being put out there about a product you were producing commercially ? Also there are the resellers and those that include Mesa hardware in their end project, and have also supported the Linuxcnc project.

Hahaha it's like the twilight zone.......it just doesn't die. Read the post above yours and stop being a drama queen.

More
12 May 2022 01:47 #242705 by ALittleOffTheRails

That being said, there are some good arguments from both sides, i have been and still am on both sides ...
On the flip side, i really fail to understand why some members here give such damaging statements without ever bothering to check the reality, namely that Mesa is "proprietary" and "use of chinese parts" as none of those are true as far as i know, on the contrary, anyone here that needed "special" firmware got it inside of a day by the owner of the Mesa company, anyone who needed the schematics for a board got it inside of a day from Mesa owner.
Those making such statements, let the above sink in for a while... That is something that will never ever happen with any other company on earth.
-
I could not find the offending line regarding parts used, probably deleted by the poster, but the "proprietary" statement is still there.
-
I would leave everything, except the offending stuff, and that should be deleted by the original poster as one of them did. Thank you

I'd like to let this die but I don't like the statements you made there, it makes it sound like I'm lying. Now this got blown waaaaay out of proportion and the only point I was trying to make is that ........well, Mesa uses some Chinese stuff too. I didn't say the proprietary thing, I don't know what that's supposed to mean but all of my statements are still there. My problem with your statement is you're making it sound like I lied when it's pretty easy to verify the chip I posted the photo of.

I was talking about the connectors probably being Chinese, that may not be the case....who cares. The example I gave that I know is true is that on a 7i96 there are magnetic isolators that are typically meant for ethernet applications. They are made by Link-PP, part number is lp41604anl. Link-PP is headquartered in China, the chip is made in China, the datasheet looks like something you bought on Aliexpress, they have 1 single distributor in the US, NAC-Semi.

Again, I personally don't give a shit where a coil of wire inside of a plastic package was made. It's not like I don't own plenty of Chinese stuff, I'd like to know who doesn't. You won't find me badmouthing Mesa's quality or support I know Peter is a great help to this community. I'm just not a la-la land kinda person. 7i96's were like $80 when they first came out IIRC  and if Mesa made those PCBs in the US, had them assembled in the US, with almost all non-China components at the volume they sell, and I'm not saying that's not the case...........but holy shit, Mesa would be a beacon of American manufacturing.

You specifically mentioned "off brand Chinese parts" not just parts made in China.
Regarding the connectors you were given a link to a thread that was a query as to where Mesa sourced their connectors, as I wanted an exact match for a project I was working on.

Regarding data sheets, some of the datasheets from TI, Linear et al, from the 80's are somewhat not up to the standard in "current year". Even some of the existing sheets on TI's (I know this more experience) site are nothing more than scanned copies of these early sheets. Would that make the part dodgy or substandard ?

More
12 May 2022 01:51 #242707 by ALittleOffTheRails

Three examples.

Hahaha it's like the twilight zone.......it just doesn't die. Read the post above yours and stop being a drama queen.

Rather than attack me, please try to form a coherent rebuttal regarding the topic at hand.

More
12 May 2022 01:59 #242708 by ALittleOffTheRails

And BTW, I'm fine with all of these last posts being deleted, mine and others who contributed to that conversation. Please, just don't alude to me not telling the truth about something that is true albeit retardedly overblown.

Apart from a single part being marked with China you have yet to provide any evidence regarding off brand parts. And have yet to provide an answer the PCW.

No accusing a manufacturer of something and being challenged is not over blowing the situation. It may not seem important to you, but to others it is. Especially so when false & misleading comments are made.

Yes I maybe harping on about this, but this is just an issue I react strongly to. False and misleading information wastes everyone's time, effort & money.

I bear no one any ill will.

More
12 May 2022 02:04 - 12 May 2022 02:53 #242710 by blazini36

-
-

You specifically mentioned "off brand Chinese parts" not just parts made in China.
Regarding the connectors you were given a link to a thread that was a query as to where Mesa sourced their connectors, as I wanted an exact match for a project I was working on.

Regarding data sheets, some of the datasheets from TI, Linear et al, from the 80's are somewhat not up to the standard in "current year". Even some of the existing sheets on TI's (I know this more experience) site are nothing more than scanned copies of these early sheets. Would that make the part dodgy or substandard ?

There's no link in the thread you posted about the connectors, my Welink searches go nowhere and the site is unreachable. I do see the Chinese Degson connectors mentioned in that thread but Welink turns up nothing...so nothing to say.

There's no question Link-PP is Chinese, Off-brand is subjective but I'd say I already gave you plenty of reason's why it is off-brand AFAIC. If that doesn't make it "off-brand" then OK that's fine with me but what is "off-brand" to you then??

And TI has some whacked out Xeroxed datasheets sure, but those products date back to the 70s-80s. Difference is that TI has distributors all over the world, anyone can get TI stuff. If you only have 1 distributor that isn't even that well known, ya sell off-brand shit.
Last edit: 12 May 2022 02:53 by blazini36. Reason: Fix statement about Degson

More
12 May 2022 02:10 - 12 May 2022 02:52 #242712 by blazini36

Apart from a single part being marked with China you have yet to provide any evidence regarding off brand parts. And have yet to provide an answer the PCW.

No accusing a manufacturer of something and being challenged is not over blowing the situation. It may not seem important to you, but to others it is. Especially so when false & misleading comments are made.

Yes I maybe harping on about this, but this is just an issue I react strongly to. False and misleading information wastes everyone's time, effort & money.

I bear no one any ill will.

OK OK............I get it now, I understand what you're looking for.

Statement of fact:
There are no Chinese parts on Mesa products. Never have been, never will be. "Alittleofftherails" did not blow a simple statement clear out of the water and continue to beat the horse to death even though I lied and did not ever provide him with the exact name and factual statements about LinkPP that is a Guangdong company. Google does not exist and the earth is flat.

Thank you

Last edit: 12 May 2022 02:52 by blazini36. Reason: Delete the statement about Degson

More
12 May 2022 02:58 - 12 May 2022 02:58 #242716 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Teensy based CNC board
Here's a funny thing about Ethernet magnetics, We used to use Xfrms Inc. XFATM9B
instead of the LP41604ANL. Guess where these are made (and shipped from when you buy in volume) : China.
Same for almost all "US" manufacturers of small magnetics.

BTW we have had better reliability with the Link-PP parts...
Last edit: 12 May 2022 02:58 by PCW.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds