Teensy based CNC board

More
12 May 2022 03:04 #242717 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Teensy based CNC board

Here's a funny thing about Ethernet magnetics, We used to use Xfrms Inc. XFATM9B
instead of the LP41604ANL. Guess where these are made (and shipped from when you buy in volume) : China.
Same for almost all "US" manufacturers of small magnetics.

BTW we have had better reliability with the Link-PP parts...

That's perfectly fine, I don't doubt that. And I do apologize to you and Mesa for letting it get blown out or making it seem like I have an issue with your products, I really don't.

I just can't allow people to make it seem as though I'm making false statements regardless of who they're going to bat for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2022 03:28 #242720 by ALittleOffTheRails
You were and did.

How you think that you were not make false and misleading statements is quite remarkable.

More
12 May 2022 03:56 #242722 by ALittleOffTheRails

This thread has gone way off topic.
That being said, there are some good arguments from both sides, i have been and still am on both sides ...
On the flip side, i really fail to understand why some members here give such damaging statements without ever bothering to check the reality, namely that Mesa is "proprietary" and "use of chinese parts" as none of those are true as far as i know, on the contrary, anyone here that needed "special" firmware got it inside of a day by the owner of the Mesa company, anyone who needed the schematics for a board got it inside of a day from Mesa owner.
Those making such statements, let the above sink in for a while... That is something that will never ever happen with any other company on earth.
-
I could not find the offending line regarding parts used, probably deleted by the poster, but the "proprietary" statement is still there.
-
I would leave everything, except the offending stuff, and that should be deleted by the original poster as one of them did. Thank you

I'd like to let this die but I don't like the statements you made there, it makes it sound like I'm lying. Now this got blown waaaaay out of proportion and the only point I was trying to make is that ........well, Mesa uses some Chinese stuff too. I didn't say the proprietary thing, I don't know what that's supposed to mean but all of my statements are still there. My problem with your statement is you're making it sound like I lied when it's pretty easy to verify the chip I posted the photo of.

I was talking about the connectors probably being Chinese, that may not be the case....who cares. The example I gave that I know is true is that on a 7i96 there are magnetic isolators that are typically meant for ethernet applications. They are made by Link-PP, part number is lp41604anl. Link-PP is headquartered in China, the chip is made in China, the datasheet looks like something you bought on Aliexpress, they have 1 single distributor in the US, NAC-Semi.

Again, I personally don't give a shit where a coil of wire inside of a plastic package was made. It's not like I don't own plenty of Chinese stuff, I'd like to know who doesn't. You won't find me badmouthing Mesa's quality or support I know Peter is a great help to this community. I'm just not a la-la land kinda person. 7i96's were like $80 when they first came out IIRC  and if Mesa made those PCBs in the US, had them assembled in the US, with almost all non-China components at the volume they sell, and I'm not saying that's not the case...........but holy shit, Mesa would be a beacon of American manufacturing.

You specifically mentioned "off brand Chinese parts" not just parts made in China.
Regarding the connectors you were given a link to a thread that was a query as to where Mesa sourced their connectors, as I wanted an exact match for a project I was working on.

Regarding data sheets, some of the datasheets from TI, Linear et al, from the 80's are somewhat not up to the standard in "current year". Even some of the existing sheets on TI's (I know this more experience) site are nothing more than scanned copies of these early sheets. Would that make the part dodgy or substandard ?

There's no link in the thread you posted about the connectors, my Welink searches go nowhere and the site is unreachable. I do see the Chinese Degson connectors mentioned in that thread but Welink turns up nothing...so nothing to say.

There's no question Link-PP is Chinese, Off-brand is subjective but I'd say I already gave you plenty of reason's why it is off-brand AFAIC. If that doesn't make it "off-brand" then OK that's fine with me but what is "off-brand" to you then??

And TI has some whacked out Xeroxed datasheets sure, but those products date back to the 70s-80s. Difference is that TI has distributors all over the world, anyone can get TI stuff. If you only have 1 distributor that isn't even that well known, ya sell off-brand shit.

Links on this post
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4044...urce?start=10#193618

Links to compatible items, items I ordered and used.
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4044...urce?start=10#193629

Pays to read the WHOLE thread.

More
12 May 2022 04:35 #242724 by blazini36

This thread has gone way off topic.
That being said, there are some good arguments from both sides, i have been and still am on both sides ...
On the flip side, i really fail to understand why some members here give such damaging statements without ever bothering to check the reality, namely that Mesa is "proprietary" and "use of chinese parts" as none of those are true as far as i know, on the contrary, anyone here that needed "special" firmware got it inside of a day by the owner of the Mesa company, anyone who needed the schematics for a board got it inside of a day from Mesa owner.
Those making such statements, let the above sink in for a while... That is something that will never ever happen with any other company on earth.
-
I could not find the offending line regarding parts used, probably deleted by the poster, but the "proprietary" statement is still there.
-
I would leave everything, except the offending stuff, and that should be deleted by the original poster as one of them did. Thank you

I'd like to let this die but I don't like the statements you made there, it makes it sound like I'm lying. Now this got blown waaaaay out of proportion and the only point I was trying to make is that ........well, Mesa uses some Chinese stuff too. I didn't say the proprietary thing, I don't know what that's supposed to mean but all of my statements are still there. My problem with your statement is you're making it sound like I lied when it's pretty easy to verify the chip I posted the photo of.

I was talking about the connectors probably being Chinese, that may not be the case....who cares. The example I gave that I know is true is that on a 7i96 there are magnetic isolators that are typically meant for ethernet applications. They are made by Link-PP, part number is lp41604anl. Link-PP is headquartered in China, the chip is made in China, the datasheet looks like something you bought on Aliexpress, they have 1 single distributor in the US, NAC-Semi.

Again, I personally don't give a shit where a coil of wire inside of a plastic package was made. It's not like I don't own plenty of Chinese stuff, I'd like to know who doesn't. You won't find me badmouthing Mesa's quality or support I know Peter is a great help to this community. I'm just not a la-la land kinda person. 7i96's were like $80 when they first came out IIRC  and if Mesa made those PCBs in the US, had them assembled in the US, with almost all non-China components at the volume they sell, and I'm not saying that's not the case...........but holy shit, Mesa would be a beacon of American manufacturing.

You specifically mentioned "off brand Chinese parts" not just parts made in China.
Regarding the connectors you were given a link to a thread that was a query as to where Mesa sourced their connectors, as I wanted an exact match for a project I was working on.

Regarding data sheets, some of the datasheets from TI, Linear et al, from the 80's are somewhat not up to the standard in "current year". Even some of the existing sheets on TI's (I know this more experience) site are nothing more than scanned copies of these early sheets. Would that make the part dodgy or substandard ?

There's no link in the thread you posted about the connectors, my Welink searches go nowhere and the site is unreachable. I do see the Chinese Degson connectors mentioned in that thread but Welink turns up nothing...so nothing to say.

There's no question Link-PP is Chinese, Off-brand is subjective but I'd say I already gave you plenty of reason's why it is off-brand AFAIC. If that doesn't make it "off-brand" then OK that's fine with me but what is "off-brand" to you then??

And TI has some whacked out Xeroxed datasheets sure, but those products date back to the 70s-80s. Difference is that TI has distributors all over the world, anyone can get TI stuff. If you only have 1 distributor that isn't even that well known, ya sell off-brand shit.

Links on this post
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4044...urce?start=10#193618

Links to compatible items, items I ordered and used.
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4044...urce?start=10#193629

Pays to read the WHOLE thread

Lol wow, OK now I'm supposed to care about "compatible" items, how does that have any relevance to what Mesa uses?

I did get on Welink's site, how would you like me to describe the origin of Welink's products? American? OK, the connectors are American too.

More
12 May 2022 04:40 #242725 by blazini36

You were and did.

How you think that you were not make false and misleading statements is quite remarkable.

Like the fanboi-ism is beyond belief

Made in China, by a Chinese company, has 1 lesser known distributor in the US.

What is false or misleading there? Tell me specifically or just stop posting.

Off brand is subjective AS I SAID. I'd certainly consider Link-PP "off-brand" maybe you don't......but there is nothing misleading about me saying that.

More
12 May 2022 09:58 - 12 May 2022 10:29 #242770 by blazini36

Quote removed by moderator

Like I said, you have some kind of problem. It's the internet man, why would you saying such stupid things actually upset me?  I'm not sure what covering it with a quote does. It got reported anyway but I'm sure they won't do anything, that's definitely ban material there though.

To imagine that you could be in such denial that you even referenced old threads that prove you know it was true  before I said a word.

To make it into a huge thing when I clearly said several times over that it's just the way things are, it's nothing against Mesa for using some Chinese parts cuz everybody does. You just can't handle it, I don't understand why that is. Does it bother you that much? I'll even retract the words "off-brand" if that makes you feel better. They are not "off-brand" Chinese parts.......they are amazing Chinese parts.

We should all be happy now.
Last edit: 12 May 2022 10:29 by snowgoer540.

More
12 May 2022 10:02 #242771 by blazini36

Also please remember that America isn't the be all and end all.

Mesa is an American company, I'm not going to talk about where something is distributed in Germany when the product manufacturer is an American company.

More
12 May 2022 11:01 #242780 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Teensy based CNC board
Stop!!!

More
12 May 2022 11:16 #242785 by ALittleOffTheRails
Thinking about it would the Pi Pico, or whatever it's called, be a good candidate for alternative step generation ?

More
14 May 2022 01:03 - 15 May 2022 02:18 #242931 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Teensy based CNC board
As I posted months ago there are a few other similar projects that are already working:

www.forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/39037...-orange-pi-allwincnc

Orange- and Banana-pi's are still available with Allwinner and Rockchip SOC's with the integrated microcontrollers/PRU's. The original dev was more of a C dev than a Linux kernel for ARM and u-boot developer. Pine64 and Rock64 also have similar boards. When I get some time I'll pick a good kernel and build a proper u-boot for them. The rest of this project is mostly working. These were the devices that machinekit should have used, but oh well, they had some desire to use TI with a GPU that could not run a real time GUI.

www.forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42276...rocontroller-via-spi

Supports more boards almost every few weeks, Mostly stm32 so can be scarce for the time being.

www.forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42414...ethernet-using-esp32

Already working last I saw.

www.forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/44422-colorcnc

Has come a long way. Has inputs now as well. Boards are pretty easy and cheap to come by. Needs some IO protection from EMI/EMC etc.

Someone will probably get around to the Teensy 4.1 sooner or later.
Last edit: 15 May 2022 02:18 by Bari. Reason: ooooopps on the 54/64
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairy

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds