Remora 1.0.0_rc released for testing

More
31 Oct 2021 20:58 #224794 by scotta

What boards support what rates?
Is there a default rate if none is provided in the config?

Hi, if there are no command line arguments then the component defaults back to the LPC1768 setting for compatibility. The default BASE frequency is 40khz.

I ran the SKR2 at the higher frequency during testing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2021 23:19 #224818 by Aaroncnc
Cmd line so a user must edit the launcher to set the rate?
Would it be possible to also have it set in hal or in file?
Also update on the config tool. I have it makine the ini file and am working on the hal file. I hope by next weekend to push the update and the config tool will be able to generate all needed files. Config.txt, .hal and .ini

I got a boost from John with his config tools and he helped me understand the logic better.

More
01 Nov 2021 03:54 #224829 by scotta

Cmd line so a user must edit the launcher to set the rate?
Would it be possible to also have it set in hal or in file?
Also update on the config tool. I have it makine the ini file and am working on the hal file. I hope by next weekend to push the update and the config tool will be able to generate all needed files. Config.txt, .hal and .ini

I got a boost from John with his config tools and he helped me understand the logic better.

Hi Aaron, when I say command line I do mean the hal file command for loading the component. eg from my SKR2 hal file:
loadrt [KINS]KINEMATICS
loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT base_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]BASE_PERIOD servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD num_joints=[KINS]JOINTS

# load the Remora real-time component

loadrt remora chip_type=STM SPI_clk_div=16 PRU_base_freq=80000

# estop and SPI comms enable and feedback

net user-enable-out        <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out        => remora.SPI-enable
    net user-request-enable <= iocontrol.0.user-request-enable    => remora.SPI-reset
    net remora-status         <= remora.SPI-status                 => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaroncnc

More
02 Nov 2021 03:58 - 03 Nov 2021 04:27 #224948 by Aaroncnc
Okay so i am a bit ahead on the tool.
github.com/aaroncnc/Remora-GUI-Config-Tool/tree/alpha-config
This is the first alpha of the tool.
It is now able to make a hal and ini file.

Things still missing inside the HAL
Encoder support
Thermistors
PWM
Servo

The Save and load function is now functional for the entire gui.

Spindle is setup only for pwm to dac control. more options to come later.

Inputs only missing the option for home+limit combo.  fixed

Please let me know what you think or take a look at the hal/ini generation and let me know if something is off or wrong.

I know there are a few possible combos such as flood and mist being on at once wont work with the way it setup now.

I am also not sure on the Estop in the input section as its also setup in the beginning.

Also let me know if i missed any useful input and outputs.

Also fixed large ini bug related to joints 
Last edit: 03 Nov 2021 04:27 by Aaroncnc. Reason: updated
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotta

More
03 Nov 2021 14:35 #225108 by Aaroncnc
Hey scotta,

I know you are still busy with the move to the stm32 but Would it be possible to have the encoder index inputs not take up the normal inputs?

As i have mentioned in the past with 4 encoders each with index you lose 4 inputs.
If you have a touch probe you have only 3 left
This forces the user into combo limit + home switches.

If the user wants to add anything else like a hardware e-stop or cycle start, or lube button they are mostly out of luck

The last option for them is to use a all home + all Limit combo giving them back 2 inputs.

And not as important but maybe pointer value have its own set for the temp and encoders?

More
05 Nov 2021 00:25 #225313 by scotta

Hey scotta,

I know you are still busy with the move to the stm32 but Would it be possible to have the encoder index inputs not take up the normal inputs?

As i have mentioned in the past with 4 encoders each with index you lose 4 inputs.
If you have a touch probe you have only 3 left
This forces the user into combo limit + home switches.

If the user wants to add anything else like a hardware e-stop or cycle start, or lube button they are mostly out of luck

The last option for them is to use a all home + all Limit combo giving them back 2 inputs.

And not as important but maybe pointer value have its own set for the temp and encoders?

Hi Aaron, 

This has been in the back of my mind as well. There is spare room in the SPI packet for additional IO bits.

I have created a feature branch that increases the Inputs and Outputs from 8 to 16. There is updated bin files which you will need to use the updated Remora LinuxCNC component.

I've done a simple test but it would be good for others to test this branch before merging it.

Hope this helps with more complicated machines.

github.com/scottalford75/Remora/tree/feature/extraIO

BR
Scott

More
05 Nov 2021 02:04 - 05 Nov 2021 18:20 #225326 by Aaroncnc
Wow 16 inputs and outputs now we are coking with gas!
Also thank god i fixed my code in my config tool with more logic so all i have to do is change a few numbers from 8 to 16 and then add the input boxes.

My alpha tool can now do spindle encoders. still have yet to jump into the pwm and axis encoders and thermistors.

I just have not used them so im not certain the best way for the ui to handle them.

I like the thought once things settle in more that the user could be provided an entire RPI4 image with everything installed.
So the end user would just run the config tool and be able to have the machine up and running. It would be a basic config without anything super fancy but enough to get some peolpe willing to try.

When i tell people i run linuxcnc vs mach or the other options they always say thats to complicated.
But most of them have played around with 3d printers and RPI's.
So i think remora is the perfect project to get people to make the leap.

for pwm what options do you think the user would need.
extruder heaters
bed heaters
chamber heater
PWM fan control
???????

For thermistors
extruder temp
bed temp
chamber temp
ambient temp 
coolant temp
Spindle/motor temp
enclosure temp

Encoders just need a joint option and PPR i think so they can be linked to an axis.

i was also thinking of a way in the config for temp for the user to be able to set a overtemp trigger estop to avoid runaway problems.

Could you explain these a bit to me

[BED] 
PID_PONM = 1  ?Proportional On Measurement?
PID_DIR = 0 ?no idea?
PID_KP = 21.5 
PID_KI = 1.0 
PID_KD = 0.0 
PID_SPMIN = 0.0 ?is this the min temp? is it always zero??
PID_SPMAX = 80.0 ?max temp?
PID_CVMIN = 0.0 ??
PID_CVMAX = 100.0??

Found the info in your other repo
github.com/scottalford75/LinuxCNC-3D-Pri...ller/PIDcontroller.c
Is this be bundled with remora main install? 
Last edit: 05 Nov 2021 18:20 by Aaroncnc.

More
05 Nov 2021 21:23 #225429 by scotta
Hi Aaron,

I've gone away from using my PID controller component to the standard LinuxCNC component. It keeps the install simpler and works. I'll look to share my latest config for this as PID setup for either heaters or closed loop stepper control is probably the most complicated thing people will need to do in HAL.

I've never had issues with temperature runaway or situations which may induce it.

More
06 Nov 2021 13:56 #225501 by Aaroncnc
Thanks. Are you going to post it here or git?

Run away can happen for a few reasons. Most common is hardware failure such as thermistor wire develops a break or comes lose/ separates from the device being heated.

Without any watch dog it will keep trying to heat until it destroys itself.
This would be best done at the lowest level that if the heater is not responding it would give up vs going forever.

More
06 Nov 2021 17:21 #225511 by Cncninja
Grbl boards use PWM for dc spindle control. So it would be good to have an option for PWM spindle as well as 0-5v and 0-10v if possable

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds