A Teensy -> Python Interface Manualmatic MPG/pendant

More
04 Apr 2022 18:24 #239270 by fletch
Designing buttons that are ergonomic, tactile and can't be unintentionally pressed is an interesting challenge.

I think it's time I serviced my 3D printer...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2022 12:15 #239437 by fletch
OK, so maybe, sometimes, I do over think things...

Attachments:

More
13 Apr 2022 11:55 #240139 by fletch
Getting there. This is a lot of work! Especially as I'm still 'learning' my way around FreeCAD...

Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2022 18:01 #240332 by fletch
ooo the buttons!  A different design to my original - much easier to print and combined with the correct force momentary buttons provides a very satisfactory 'feel' and a low risk of unintentionally pressing them.

My apologies for the slight 'build log' of the case design - the PlatformIO code (its first draft from the Arduino code base) is done but I was waiting for the v1.1 PCBs to arrive to test (and now waiting for the correct encoders as I accidentally ordered 'high detent force' ones from Mouser...)
Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2022 21:19 #240492 by fletch
A few spare hours over the bank holiday weekend and we have a new design of row buttons (although the Sharpie colouring in doesn't really cut it! )...

... and a *very* satisfying cable clamp design.

Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2022 22:16 #241034 by fletch
Saturday night code release again - oh what a life we lead!

I've migrated the pendant codebase from the Arduino IDE to PlatformIO. This should allow refinement of the structure to add flexibility/ease maintainability of the codebase. All the major functionality is now in place but would appreciate feedback on both code and function. There's also a small wiring check test 'sketch'.

Code is here: github.com/Stutchbury/Manualmatic-Pendan...e/PlatformIO/pendant

As you may have noticed, I have spent a 'little' time creating a 3D printable case with FreeCAD. I've included a little guide for printing but it came out OK on my fairly well abused Ender 3:

STLs are here: github.com/Stutchbury/Manualmatic-Pendan...n/Hardware/case/v1.1

I have a few spare PCBs and components (minimum order at Mouser is a pain) so would be happy to make up some 'PCB + board components' kits if anyone is interested. I'm still waiting on a second order of encoders (I ordered the 'wrong' ones first time) but highly recommend avoiding the ebay specials - I've had a few that do not work reliably. Once I've tested the new ones, I'll finish up the Bill of Materials.

Enjoy!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, jogy2

More
27 Apr 2022 19:55 #241397 by jogy2
Hi, nice work. Sorry that i ask you here but i can´t write a Pn,
is it possible to order a board from you or the layout ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: fletch

More
27 Apr 2022 20:22 - 29 Apr 2022 08:44 #241398 by fletch

Hi, nice work. Sorry that i ask you here but i can´t write a Pn,
is it possible to order a board from you or the layout ?

No worries - I didn't realise you can't PM on this forum, if you have a github account & log in, I think my email address will be available to you.

Edit: If that doesn't work I'll investigate setting up a tindie acount over the weekend.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2022 08:44 by fletch.

More
29 Apr 2022 17:04 - 29 Apr 2022 17:05 #241652 by fletch
Just a quick note after a question from jogy2 via email - the Manualmatic will only boot to the splash screen unless it has a 'back end' to talk to. This would be either the LinucCNC Manualmatic component (started via the ini file) or if you're just playing, then the (very) crude mock linuxcnc script that I used for UI development will respond to many inputs and also allow you to send commands from the prompt.

To use this, cd to the Software/linuxcnc-mock directory from the github download and run:

$ ./mock_cnc_machine.py mock.ini

Plug the pendant into the USB before you start the script and Crtl-C out of the script before unplugging the USB (or your USB ports will get their knickers in a twist and the Teensy will no longer be on port /dev/ttyACM0)

There is also a wiring test PlatformIO 'sketch' that shows all the inputs on the display (assuming the wiring is OK, of course).

Last edit: 29 Apr 2022 17:05 by fletch.

More
13 May 2022 19:35 - 14 May 2022 12:36 #242904 by fletch
I have just created a Bill of Materials for the Manualmatic here: github.com/Stutchbury/Manualmatic-Pendant/blob/main/docs/BOM.md

Don't think I've missed anything, but let me know if I have.
Last edit: 14 May 2022 12:36 by fletch.

Time to create page: 0.637 seconds