Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
16 Apr 2022 21:06 - 16 Apr 2022 21:08 #240424 by royka

If it were a network issue LinuxCNC would go into E-Stop before triggering a following error. It's the way the communication logic works. Your following errors are most likely caused by your joint configuration. Your joint max velocity needs to he higher than the overall max velocity so that a joint can try to catch up the following error. Take a look at the example INI file. I've tuned that one to get some good speeds without ferrors.

I've tried with a bob on the lpt port and that works good, then tried the nvem again with the same settings and the following error appeared again. Even when I lower the velocity at half the speed. I can't imagine it would be that slow. Tried a different power supply already a 12v and a 15v, I assume that that would be enough. Is there anything else I could try? I was thinking about maybe I could to connect it by SPI to exclude the ethernet chip? Could I upload one of the other Remora firmwares to run some gcode without the steppers connected?
Last edit: 16 Apr 2022 21:08 by royka.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2022 01:28 #240434 by scotta

If it were a network issue LinuxCNC would go into E-Stop before triggering a following error. It's the way the communication logic works. Your following errors are most likely caused by your joint configuration. Your joint max velocity needs to he higher than the overall max velocity so that a joint can try to catch up the following error. Take a look at the example INI file. I've tuned that one to get some good speeds without ferrors.

I've tried with a bob on the lpt port and that works good, then tried the nvem again with the same settings and the following error appeared again. Even when I lower the velocity at half the speed. I can't imagine it would be that slow. Tried a different power supply already a 12v and a 15v, I assume that that would be enough. Is there anything else I could try? I was thinking about maybe I could to connect it by SPI to exclude the ethernet chip? Could I upload one of the other Remora firmwares to run some gcode without the steppers connected?

Please share your config files so that I can have a look. Thanks

More
17 Apr 2022 01:35 - 17 Apr 2022 21:57 #240435 by scotta
Some great news to share. Configuring the NVEM with a custom config file is now possible! I have updated the firmware and the example configuration.

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...json_config/Firmware
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/tree/fea...gSamples/remora-nvem

The config.txt file in the config sample enables all features on the board including the NVMPG. To customise, simply remove the unused step generators, IO, spindle or NVMPG as required. You can also change the IO mapping and naming just like the SPI version of Remora.

I've done limited testing but it all seams to be working ok.

To upload a new config file to the board use the python script from within the config directory. The config file can be a text file called anything.

pi@remora:~/linuxcnc/configs/remora-nvem $ python3 upload_config.py config.txt

The file will only be uploaded if it is a correctly formatted JSON file, the NVEM board will check the CRC-32 and if ok will move the uploaded config file into the storage location and reboot the board by forcing a watch dog timeout.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 21:57 by scotta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, cakeslob, royka, Domi, spdbmp927

More
17 Apr 2022 11:01 - 17 Apr 2022 14:31 #240455 by Domi
pi @ remora: ~ / linuxcnc / configs / remora-nvem $ python3 upload_config.py config.txt
The file or directory does not exist :(
which means : The file will only be uploaded if it is a correctly formatted JSON file ?
bash: /: is a directory
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 14:31 by Domi.

More
17 Apr 2022 19:11 - 17 Apr 2022 19:31 #240484 by royka
@scotta Here is my config. Probably not ideal, however it does work fine with the lpt port.

btw I think the link in your post should be  github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...json_config/Firmware
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 19:31 by royka.

More
17 Apr 2022 20:56 - 17 Apr 2022 21:03 #240490 by royka

pi @ remora: ~ / linuxcnc / configs / remora-nvem $ python3 upload_config.py config.txt
The file or directory does not exist :(
which means : The file will only be uploaded if it is a correctly formatted JSON file ?
bash: /: is a directory

Open Terminal
sudo apt-get install python3-pip && pip3 install tftpy
Then
If you've downloaded the directory before with git:
cd Remora && git pull cd LinuxCNC/ConfigSamples/remora-nvem
[code][code]Edit the config.txt as you wish.
[/code][/code]
python3 upload_config.py config.txt
[code][code]Else:
[/code][/code]
sudo apt-get install git && git clone -b feature/ethernet https://github.com/scottalford75/Remora.git && cd Remora/LinuxCNC/ConfigSamples/remora-nvem
[code][code]Edit the config.txt as you wish.
[/code][/code]
python3 upload_config.py config.txt
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 21:03 by royka.

More
17 Apr 2022 21:49 - 17 Apr 2022 21:50 #240496 by royka
Uploading doesn't work I'm getting time-outs and now after a single movement I'm getting a following error:

Valid JSON config file, uploading to NVEM board
Config file length (words) = 1652
Config file length (bytes) = 6607
Remainder = 3
Padding added =  [0]
Config file length with padding (bytes) = 6608
CRC-32 = 0xc1997785
Timeout waiting for traffic, retrying...
Timed-out waiting for traffic
resending last packet
Resending packet WRQ packet: filename = config mode = octet on sessions <tftpy.TftpStates.TftpStateSentWRQ object at 0x7f931391c6a0>
resending last packet
Resending packet WRQ packet: filename = config mode = octet on sessions <tftpy.TftpStates.TftpStateSentWRQ object at 0x7f931391c6a0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tftpy/TftpContexts.py", line 171, in cycle
    (buffer, (raddress, rport)) = self.sock.recvfrom(MAX_BLKSIZE)
socket.timeout: timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "upload_config.py", line 72, in <module>
    client.upload("config", "/tmp/config.txt", timeout=60)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tftpy/TftpClient.py", line 101, in upload
    self.context.start()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tftpy/TftpContexts.py", line 325, in start
    self.cycle()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/tftpy/TftpContexts.py", line 174, in cycle
    raise TftpTimeout("Timed-out waiting for traffic")
tftpy.TftpShared.TftpTimeout: Timed-out waiting for traffic

Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 21:50 by royka.

More
17 Apr 2022 21:52 #240497 by Domi
I downloaded it in windows. He then put it in Linuxcnc and then edited config.txt
python3: cannot open file 'upload_config.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

More
17 Apr 2022 21:54 #240499 by scotta

@scotta Here is my config. Probably not ideal, however it does work fine with the lpt port.

btw I think the link in your post should be  github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...json_config/Firmware

Hi Roy,

I've had a quick look at your INI file and I think I've found why you would be getting a following error with these settings and Remora-NVEM. The Remora step generator logic is split into two halves. One part on the LinuxCNC side and the other in the module that's running on the board. Both of these halves need to have the same servo period setting, and your INI file is setting this different.

Change your line SERVO_PERIOD = 1500000to 

SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000

(ie 1000hz) as per the example configuration should fix your problem. You probably should have started to use the example config file that is known to work rather than using one generated with stepconf.

More
17 Apr 2022 21:56 #240500 by royka
I did that at first, but that didn't work either, that was why I then tried make a working config with the lpt port and use that with the nvem

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds