Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
03 Apr 2024 03:25 #297481 by cncmiljc
Could you send me a copy so we can study it? I'm not even able to generate pulses, I mean with the DMAstepgen study configuration for the 407, this one, github.com/scottalford75/Remora-EC500-DMAstepgen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2024 03:26 #297482 by Wiretap
The configs used are attached to my first comment. Both the config for the NVEM and the config for linuxcnc.

More
03 Apr 2024 03:51 #297483 by cncmiljc
I think you are using the rt1052, I am studying the configuration that scotta left for use with DMAstepgen but using the stm32f407, however this is not generating any pulses, I know that it is in a configuration where there is no need to use Linux cnc, but even so I can't even get the pulse to start studying and who knows how to run Linux cnc with it, follow the link I'm studying again, github.com/scottalford75/Remora-EC500-DMAstepgen

More
03 Apr 2024 03:53 #297485 by Wiretap
Apologies, missed that you were using the older board. Are you certain that you do indeed have a 407? That'd be pretty unusual if you recently obtained it as they were discontinued a long time ago now.

More
03 Apr 2024 09:46 #297494 by peterling
Hallo,
I did everything correct. when I press the estop in linuxcnc then I see the message "Bad payload = 0" in the terminal window.
Something is wrong with the ethernet communication, but what?
I also See no output on RS232, and there should be some output when you power up the EC500.
I installed the ethernet component via sudo halcompile --install remora-eth-3.0.c.
Is the board defect?
when no configuration is loaded to the board some LEDs are lighting, when I flashed the basic configuration then the conn blinks short and the LEDs from the output are off, only power LEds are on.
Any hint how to debug the problem?

More
04 Apr 2024 19:08 #297584 by TimGow
==================================================
EC300 - XZ LATHE APPLICATION - JOINT-1 OR JOINT-2 FOR Z
==================================================
Hello,
I have my lathe moving in X and Z, with the homing also working. So far I am running with X/Joint0, Y/Joint1 and Z/Joint2 defined in the .ini file. I have tried to eliminate the Y-axis from from the .ini and .hal files but I found errors that I believe are due to Joint0 and Joint2 existing while Joint-1 is missing.
I have now moved on to verifying the working of the G54 Machine Coordinate System. In the AXIS GUI, once the X Touch Off for G54 has been entered, the Z-axis jog operation does not work, although the 'phantom' Y DRO coordinate ticks up to a greater value, and won't stop. I need to make a better job of defining the LCNC Joints.
There may be a short-cut in just connecting the Z-axis stepper driver to the Y-axis step/direction on the EC300 so that Z is Joint-1, although I would really prefer not to have these untidy connections (Z should connect to Z).

Is there a drawback or disadvantage to editing the ec300-rt1052.txt to swap step/dir pins of Joint-1 and Joint-2, for rerunning upload_config.py?
{
"Thread": "Base",
"Type": "Stepgen",
"Comment": "Y - Joint 1 step generator",
"Joint Number": 1,
"Step Pin": "P1_24",
"Direction Pin": "P1_31"
},
{
"Thread": "Base",
"Type": "Stepgen",
"Comment": "Z - Joint 2 step generator",
"Joint Number": 2,
"Step Pin": "P1_18",
"Direction Pin": "P1_25"
},

Joint 1 would be defined with STEP @ P1_18 and DIR @ P1_25, i.e. Z driver wires into the EC300 connection block for Z-axis.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to removing unused AXIS/JOINT allocations from the EC300 .txt config file?
Would the EC300 physical connections be safely deactivated?
Is there any RT1052 processor advantage in doing this, e.g. unnecessary processing eliminated?

Thank you for everything on the forum so far, I'm enjoying the journey.

More
04 Apr 2024 20:56 #297591 by scotta
Hi Tim,

The Remora configuration allows total flexibility. So yes you can swap outputs etc. And I would only load the step generators that you need for your application.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TimGow

More
05 Apr 2024 08:35 #297627 by TimGow
Hi Scott, thank you for confirming the pin map reordering.
Much appreciated.

More
05 Apr 2024 15:05 - 05 Apr 2024 15:10 #297648 by TimGow

Hi Tim,

The Remora configuration allows total flexibility. So yes you can swap outputs etc. And I would only load the step generators that you need for your application.

Hi Scott,
I have removed the 4 unused step generators from the config.txt file (X & Z remaining) and rerun the upload python script.  I have adjusted the .hal and .ini files to reflect this change.
Unfortunately there is now an issue where, although the X cross-slide and Z carriage move, the distance moved is ~1/20th of what it should be (and what it was before changing from XYZABC to XZ).
I have checked and rechecked the .txt, .hal and .ini files, wondering how perhaps the syntax for the [JOINT_?] and scale can have become corrupted, but found no clues to a cause.

Have you run Remora with less than the full complement of step generators without issue?
Does the ~1/20 factor suggest anything within the code around the step generators?

I have gone back to the original XYZABC config .txt and edited only the Y and Z joint numbers (now 'Y - Joint 2 step generator' & 'Z - Joint 1 step generator'; XYZABC Joints retained).  Uploading this with the python script makes the EC300 work as expected with measured axis distance equalling requested distance (with .hal & .ini unchanged from above).

Could there be a consequence of the total number of step generators running?
Last edit: 05 Apr 2024 15:10 by TimGow.

More
05 Apr 2024 21:08 #297668 by scotta
Hmm, the Remora step generator is blind to any scaling. It just receives a step frequency command from LinuxCNC (Remora component). So I'd be thinking somthing to do with the trajectory, axis and joint configuration.

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds