Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
30 Jan 2022 03:06 #233512 by scotta

My hat off to you, you've really been putting in the hard yards.

Being a serial protocol would there be the chance of using the Pendant without the NVEM module via a USB to serial dongle directly attached to a computer.

Yes, I had that thought as well. No reason why not. Years ago I turned a 3D printer controller board into a USB Modbus IO controller. This was pre-Remora. We would just need an Arduino board that ideally would have a MAX232 serial chip. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2022 05:50 - 06 Feb 2022 05:52 #234081 by scotta
Finally some good progress on the NVEM NVMPG implementation. I've written another component for the NVMPG that sends HALUI info to the NVEM board on another UDP port. A new Remora module then uses DMA to send the data via serial to the MPG.

Button presses are also grabbed via DMA and put into the data being sent back to LinuxCNC.

Next step is to do the HAL side of things to get the button presses actually doing what they are meant to do.

The higher speed of the ethernet connection really allows for tight motion control. I've had to turn up the Pgain to eliminate overshoot.

Last edit: 06 Feb 2022 05:52 by scotta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Pro_El, tuzki, oficinerobotica, ArmadilloUK, undingen

More
16 Feb 2022 02:36 #234999 by scotta
Every so slowly getting Remora-NVEM to a point to be able to release 1.0-rc. Good news is that the work to get step rate doubling working has been successful. This will roll into the main Remora code but it's currently running on the NVEM board. I needed to get this running as the slower clock rate on the STM32F207 and running 6 step generators was reducing the achievable step rate. Some fine tuning and we should be able to get 40 - 50kHz step rate on all 6 step generators simultaneously.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pro_El, Aaroncnc

More
16 Feb 2022 02:49 #235001 by Aaroncnc
so is it possible to add the pendant to my setup using the skr 1.4 board of old?
If it will work i will order one of these.
The work you are doing is amazing.

More
16 Feb 2022 03:05 #235002 by scotta
Hmm, I don't think it would be impossible but would need some work. You would also need a TTL UART to RS232 adaptor to drive the NVMPG serial connection.

More
16 Feb 2022 03:21 #235005 by Aaroncnc
okay so to run the pendant i would need to buy something like this?
www.amazon.com/Ultra-Compact-RS232-Conve...00OPTOKI0/ref=sr_1_4

and this is the correct pendant?
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002204857294.html

I dont need to buy it but sometime in the future it would be cool to not have to use a keyboard or map a gamepad.

More
16 Feb 2022 04:46 #235009 by scotta
Yes, these are the hardware required.

For Remora we'd need to adapt the new NVMPG LinuxCNC component to use SPI and modify the Remora module on the controller board side. Maybe something I look at once the Remora-NVEM and Remora-W5500 ethernet versions are up and going.

More
16 Feb 2022 17:30 #235054 by Aaroncnc
would it be better to drive it from the pi?

Thinking out loud if it runs on a board this still allows someone to use the ethernet route with a full pc and still have the pendant correct?

More
20 Feb 2022 09:25 #235377 by Pro_El
Great progress, when finished rc 1 i will be try it on mu NVEM board version 3 and can make some testing..

More
22 Feb 2022 12:28 - 22 Feb 2022 12:47 #235517 by JojoS
hello, I'm new to LinuxCNC, but I have some knowledge about Mbed. I have checked what control systems are available for routers, and LinuxCNC is a well known one.
I couldn't find some documentation about 'Remora', do have some hints or a few words what it is? The protocol that Mach3 uses for ethernet communication? Edit: ok, found the Remora docs, have something to read.

About software for the F207 with Mbed: haven't used this MPU yet, but I'm using VSCode for Mbed programs. Its more flexible for using non Mbed-enabled stuff and with cortex-debug extension, you can use a lot of different debug probes. Setup is more difficult than using Mbed Studio, but at least it works.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2022 12:47 by JojoS.

Time to create page: 1.200 seconds