Current Motherboards

More
03 Jul 2022 13:27 #246505 by JT
Current Motherboards was created by JT
I'm in need of a development PC as my current motherboard has gone belly up. I need decent latency to test Mesa cards as well as some processing power for crunching out debs. A PCIe slot and dual NIC's would be on the plus side. Does anyone know of a current motherboard on this side of the pond?

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2022 14:24 - 03 Jul 2022 14:35 #246508 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Current Motherboards
A quick look at newegg.com and they show
AMD X570
AMD B550
AMD B450
AMD A520
AMD TRX40
AMD WRX80
and
Intel 600 Series
Intel 500 Series
Intel 400 Series
Intel 300 Series
Intel 200 Series
Intel 100 Series
Intel 9 Series

Any of them I need to avoid?

www.newegg.com/asus-proart-b550-creator/p/N82E16813119414

JT
Last edit: 03 Jul 2022 14:35 by JT.

More
03 Jul 2022 16:01 #246514 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Current Motherboards
I have an Asus ROG Strix B550-i Gaming on this pc and it has very good latency with an AMD Ryzen R7 3700X and 32GB of Dual Rank 3600 MHz memory.
I had a Gigabyte Elite Pro X570 with an AMD Ryzen R5 3500 (not 3600 nor 3600X) that had terrible latency, i am still convinced the "strange" processor was the cause, but i did not get the chance to test it as it went to USA.
The first is on for over a year without a hitch, it is newer powered off. Not cheap, back then it was 240 Euro here for the mobo.
-
On your list there are AMD TRX and WRX, stay away from those as they are for processors that cost north of $3000! :)
And in general, i avoid Intel as the plague because it was a leader that misused it's position to force us to change motherboards and processors every year or two years, it kept back development for over 15 years, we are still using Pentium 3 architecture with some minor upgrades, etc etc, they f#ked up to much.
AMD is not without fault, either, but it gave us 16 core desktop CPU's, if it was not for AMD, we would still be using 2 core Intel cr@p.
And NewEgg f@ked up badly with returns lately, but i would like to think they fixed those issues.
Do you have a MicroCenter near by?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari, JT

More
03 Jul 2022 18:34 #246524 by scotth
Replied by scotth on topic Current Motherboards
Just built ASRock B550 TAICHI AM4 with 5700G processor and 500G M.2 drive.
Using it for a server running Linux, it is rock solid, but a bit of overkill for machine control.

More
03 Jul 2022 20:03 #246533 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Current Motherboards
Try the board finder at mini-itx.com (wrong side of the pond for you, but the search might turn up something useful)
I tend to look for 12V (or better, wide DC) power input and CPU included. And maybe a parallel port header, just in case.

More
03 Jul 2022 20:27 #246539 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Current Motherboards
I have avoided Intel for over 20 years for the reasons mentioned above and many more.

We have found that gaming motherboards tend to have the least broken BIOSes and include features to kill all power management, speed stepping, virtualization, etc etc. for best low latency performance.

AMD recently hired a group of coreboot developers. IF AMD releases open firmware again then I'd look for any coreboot supported boards that use AMD in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, tommylight, JT

More
04 Jul 2022 10:05 #246570 by JT

Do you have a MicroCenter near by?

I have nothing near by, I live on a dead end dirt road off of a dirt road 1 1/2 hours from anywhere which is nice and peaceful but lacks specialty shops like MicroCenter.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Jul 2022 16:24 #246586 by tommylight
Does size matter?
I have another Asus B550 and a Gigabyte B450 that i never bothered to check for latency, i can do some quick tests if you need to be sure.
The first was in the $200 price range, the second 150.
I did say was, should be cheaper now.

More
04 Jul 2022 21:29 #246598 by JT
No, size does not matter. I have most size cases laying about and it goes in a corner of my desk table where I do work on programming.

JT

More
04 Jul 2022 21:52 #246600 by tommylight
Total budget?
What can we skip?
Do you do a lot of compiling/compressing?
Do you do any 3D design/animation?
-
Or
-
Do you have any usable graphic card?
Do you have any good quality power supply?
Do you have any good cooler that fits AM4?
Do you have any DDR4 memory?
-
I always insist on using high quality power supplies, the rest can be mixed and matched.
P.S.
Maybe the most important question: do you play games and if yes, what games? :)

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds