• JT
  • JT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Jul 2022 22:04 #246601 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Current Motherboards
This ASUS Prime B550M-A/CSM AMD AM4 looked promising... until I read the ratings.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JT
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Jul 2022 22:20 - 04 Jul 2022 22:36 #246602 by JT

Total budget?
What can we skip?
Do you do a lot of compiling/compressing?
Do you do any 3D design/animation?
-
Or
-
Do you have any usable graphic card?
Do you have any good quality power supply?
Do you have any good cooler that fits AM4?
Do you have any DDR4 memory?
-
I always insist on using high quality power supplies, the rest can be mixed and matched.
P.S.
Maybe the most important question: do you play games and if yes, what games?

I can do ~$1000-$1500 no problem.
I view 6 IP cameras in the background and they are a bit memory intensive, but I can move that along with the slow PC that I use now to my other desk which is a real desk not a table.
Mostly I just build debs for mesact and other tools.
I don't do any 3D work on that PC.
I have two Cooler Master 750w bronze 80 plus MPX-7501-AMAB-US
Any graphic card I might have is pretty old.
I don't have a good cooler for AM4.
I'll have to see if I have and DDR4 memory in a PC. I don't see any new DDR4 memory so lets say no.
I used to play DOOM a long long time ago, now my game is figuring out Python3 and PyQt5.
My big monitor is HDMI only IIRC.

On my slow PC that I'm using at the moment I get mouse pointer lag that slows me down and frustrates me to no end.

Been reading that a lot of motherboards don't have a GPU so you need a graphics card.

EDIT: No Intel NIC, they don't play nice with Mesa Ethernet cards.

Thanks
JT
Last edit: 04 Jul 2022 22:36 by JT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
06 Jul 2022 22:33 #246763 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Current Motherboards
Sorry for the delay, i will try to do some tests with actual hardware in the next few days and report back.
I will skip the Asus B550-F, i never had any issues with it for over a year, but a friend of mine had a B550-E that cr@ped out after 8 months of use, they are exactly the same with some minor differences, both are wifi versions.
The ITX one, Asus B550-i Gaming i have on this PC has no issues ever, it is a bit more pricey and has a single PCI-E X16 slot, but has 2 NVME slots and everything but a kitchen sink included, this i did have Mesa boards connected to for short periods of time, no issues with the Intel ethernet port. I will try to leave it on for at least a day while working on it to check reliability of the connection.
I will have to give the Gigabyte B450 a go, it is mining 24/7 so i never tested it for anything else.
-
All good boards will have Intel ethernet, so there is no escaping it, Realtek is used on lower price boards and those boards come with insufficient VRM (voltage regulator modules) that tend to cause issues during prolonged use and in high ambient temperatures.
As for graphic cards, on the AMD side there are Ryzen 5 5600G and Ryzen 7 5700G that do have integrated graphic, and pretty good ones, and all boards have HDMI or display port or both.
I have no idea how those would do regarding latency though.
These days it is not just the board causing latency mess, processors have everything that was once called "north bridge" included inside, so they cause issues also.

More
07 Jul 2022 08:19 #246786 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Current Motherboards
I have a couple Asus TUF B450-Plus mATX that have been running 24/7 for the past three years. I am typing this on one.

www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/...LUS-GAMING/techspec/
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

• JT
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jul 2022 12:28 - 07 Jul 2022 12:30 #246799 by JT

I have a couple Asus TUF B450-Plus mATX that have been running 24/7 for the past three years. I am typing this on one.

www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/...LUS-GAMING/techspec/

I actually found one on amazon for $144... does that need a CPU with graphics?

JT
Last edit: 07 Jul 2022 12:30 by JT.

• JT
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jul 2022 13:31 #246801 by JT

More
07 Jul 2022 20:21 #246829 by scotth
Replied by scotth on topic Current Motherboards
Do you have an older Ryzen chip? Many of the motherboards will not support the 5700G processor without a bios update. Without an older chip, you have no way to flash it.

More
07 Jul 2022 20:42 #246833 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Current Motherboards
I have not tried a 5700G in that board, but when the Asus TUF B450-Plus is first booted the EFI firmware can update the BIOS if the BIOS update file is in the ROOT directory of a hard drive or flash drive. That is the fun of EFI, they call it firmware but it is really a complete operating system fully capable of accessing everything in the system including your drives. Asus seems to still offer new BIOS updates for this board every few months.

• JT
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Jul 2022 13:20 #246859 by JT
I went with this motherboard and this cpu . I have this power supply on the shelf. Now to find the memory and maybe a M2 drive. It's an ATX motherboard so I have plenty of ATX cases to choose from.

JT

More
08 Jul 2022 15:56 - 08 Jul 2022 16:06 #246877 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Current Motherboards
You will also need a graphic card as that processor does not have one.
For memory, try to find 2X8GB, 3200MHz CL16, Dual Rank if possible, or 3600Mhz CL18.
The power supply will do just fine, granted you do not get a 3090 or 6900XT ! :)
Last edit: 08 Jul 2022 16:06 by tommylight. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, JT

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds