Current Motherboards

More
09 Jul 2022 10:40 - 09 Jul 2022 10:48 #246936 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Current Motherboards
What should I look for in a graphics card?

Edit: does this one look ok

JT
Last edit: 09 Jul 2022 10:48 by JT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2022 14:21 #246945 by JT

You will also need a graphic card as that processor does not have one.
For memory, try to find 2X8GB, 3200MHz CL16, Dual Rank if possible, or 3600Mhz CL18.
The power supply will do just fine, granted you do not get a 3090 or 6900XT ! :)

Is there any reason to not get 2X16GB, 3600MHz, C18 it's only a few dollars more than 2X8GB.

JT

More
09 Jul 2022 16:03 #246955 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Current Motherboards
Are we looking at the same thing?
I get this for 2X8GB / 64.99$
www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3200MHz...y/dp/B07RM39V5F?th=1

Usually i would have told you to get 32Gb and be done with it, but now is a fuzzy time, by next year you might want to get something with new AMD processor and this might not work there as they are moving on to DDR5.
Then again, i have 32GB, so go for it, either way not a big difference in the total price, and Linux does know how to properly utilize any amount of it if you keep it fed ! :)
And for the Graphic card, find an old one and make do till later in the year, prices are dropping and might drop even further when and if the new cards come to market. I am not keeping my hopes up though.
But try to find an AMD one, Nvidia will most likely mess up the latency. And i do not like paying over $200 for a 6 or more year old card as that is a rebranded (by Nvidia) 1050.
If there is no other choice, get a Radeon 6500 (leme go out and feel seek for a while just for proposing that) or much better a Radeon 6600, this one at least is new and very good at a lot of things, even games, should be same or near the 1650 in price but will beat the living sh#t out of it in any game.
Oh games, please do not tell me you did not play Doom Eternal, you had every chance as it came out when the pandemic started so it helped a bit in keeping my mental health in check - by killing everything that moves! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, JT

More
09 Jul 2022 20:08 #246976 by JT

Are we looking at the same thing?
I get this for 2X8GB / 64.99$
www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3200MHz...y/dp/B07RM39V5F?th=1

Usually i would have told you to get 32Gb and be done with it, but now is a fuzzy time, by next year you might want to get something with new AMD processor and this might not work there as they are moving on to DDR5.
Then again, i have 32GB, so go for it, either way not a big difference in the total price, and Linux does know how to properly utilize any amount of it if you keep it fed ! :)
And for the Graphic card, find an old one and make do till later in the year, prices are dropping and might drop even further when and if the new cards come to market. I am not keeping my hopes up though.
But try to find an AMD one, Nvidia will most likely mess up the latency. And i do not like paying over $200 for a 6 or more year old card as that is a rebranded (by Nvidia) 1050.
If there is no other choice, get a Radeon 6500 (leme go out and feel seek for a while just for proposing that) or much better a Radeon 6600, this one at least is new and very good at a lot of things, even games, should be same or near the 1650 in price but will beat the living sh#t out of it in any game.
Oh games, please do not tell me you did not play Doom Eternal, you had every chance as it came out when the pandemic started so it helped a bit in keeping my mental health in check - by killing everything that moves! :)

Yes we are looking at the same memory :) I'll just get the 32GB and be done with it. Prob not much chance of wanting to upgrade that pc for quite some time.

As for any video cards I'd have they would be PCI or ISA bus cards.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 Jul 2022 11:19 #247006 by JT

Like this MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6600 128-bit 8GB GDDR6 DP/HDMI ?

JT

More
10 Jul 2022 12:45 #247014 by tommylight
Yes.

More
10 Jul 2022 20:26 #247038 by JT
First package showed up today and the driver could tell the difference between Rugby Lane and Ruby Lane so I didn't have to drive 10 miles to get it.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 Jul 2022 20:45 #247040 by tommylight
Mobo and processor?
:)
You will be pleasantly surprised by the speed and use comfort, for sure.
On this PC i have a Ryzen 7 3700X, i have it pegged at 2.2GHz all the time, the only time i set it to "on demand" is when doing 3D modeling in FreeCAD or compiling something.

More
10 Jul 2022 21:30 #247044 by tommylight

I had a Gigabyte Elite Pro X570 with an AMD Ryzen R5 3500 (not 3600 nor 3600X) that had terrible latency, i am still convinced the "strange" processor was the cause, but i did not get the chance to test it as it went to USA.

Sorry my bad, that was wrong info, the MSI B450 with R5 3600 was very bad.
The Gigabyte was very good:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/38838-har...pc-s?start=90#191790
To much testing done at that time so it got messed up inside my noggin, now if i could find where i did mention this two more times to correct them....
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
11 Jul 2022 12:00 #247068 by JT
Mobo and processor?

Yes, got the motherboard , processor and M.2 drive. Memory is due tomorrow, graphics card due Friday.

As a side note it seem quoting is broken between super users like Tommy and Me. Tommy can you quote my message?

JT

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds