Changing the openGL colors in the Axis GUI

More
15 Jan 2012 00:26 #16781 by KPA
loboy wrote:

Thanks for the input about the Tabs. For me personally, I think if there needs to be expansion, I would rather pop a window instead. The tab coding is difficult to manage and not very friendly. It took me a while to figure out how things were being abstracted by the tabs. Plus the tabs are difficult to style.

Hmm.. just thinking.. separate windows, moveable, but docked when out of the way, interesting. I can see the DRO in one of these.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2012 02:27 #16786 by cmorley
The max velocity setting is for limiting Rapids during testing of programs.
I was toying with the idea of having the max velocity as a percentage and tie it to feed override when in single block mode.
The Okuma lathe I used was like.

More
15 Jan 2012 06:05 - 15 Jan 2012 06:07 #16787 by KPA
cmorley wrote:

The max velocity setting is for limiting Rapids during testing of programs.
I was toying with the idea of having the max velocity as a percentage and tie it to feed override when in single block mode.

Yes I see it now. Feedrate Override controls feedrate only, Max Velocity controls Rapids and Feedrate. As you said, handy during prove out. Some controllers break out the rapid function on the panel, but I see the usefulness of having it combined.

In an ideal world we have individual feed rate and rapid rates defined for each axis. In the ini I see max velocities for each axis, but no max feedrate. Not sure if I'm reading it right.

On another thought, the sliders could all be percentages:

Feed Override 0-120% (or whatever the max is set to in the ini)
Spindle Override 0-120%
Rapid Override 0-120%
Jog Override 0-120%

I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Jay
Last edit: 15 Jan 2012 06:07 by KPA.

More
15 Jan 2012 14:56 #16790 by andypugh
KPA wrote:

In an ideal world we have individual feed rate and rapid rates defined for each axis. In the ini I see max velocities for each axis, but no max feedrate. Not sure if I'm reading it right.

The [AXIS_N] sections of the INI should really be called [JOINT_N], they describe the physical limitations of each actuator. In most machines the two are almost interchangeable, but consider a robot arm or something like this: wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Koppi's_Toy where, depending on the position of the "controlled point" the distance that the actuator needs to move for a given movement in space is variable.

Even with a simple Cartesian machine, with X and Y both moving at the same time the feed rate is sqrt(2) times as big as if only one is moving.

More
18 Jan 2012 10:40 - 18 Jan 2012 11:01 #16874 by loboy
To change the live plotter colors in Axis you have to copy the contents of the file:

/usr/share/doc/emc2/axis_light_background

into the file

~user/.Xresources

I had trouble with this because the file .Xresources is hidden and I had to create it. Simple, but I was confused as it is something that is not related to Axis at all.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2012 11:01 by loboy.

More
18 Jan 2012 10:56 - 18 Jan 2012 11:00 #16876 by loboy
So, here is my new rearrangement of the interface.

I decided on designing it for a portrait mode. All the elements just laid out cleaner and I actually prefer the monitor this way.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2012 11:00 by loboy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hoffb77

More
18 Jan 2012 11:58 #16880 by dab77
very neat and readable.
Compliments!!

More
18 Jan 2012 12:10 #16882 by BigJohnT
Very Nice indeed!

John

More
18 Jan 2012 13:37 #16884 by KPA
I got to hand it to you, GUI design is in your blood! Now to see if we can get a touchscreen that will fit this configuration.

Jay

More
18 Jan 2012 14:00 #16885 by loboy
Thanks all.

I am a designer by trade, and have designed quite a few websites interfaces.

Next up, I am tackling some openGL lighting issues and such. Fattening up some of the lines for readability and enlarging the little DRO in the corner.

I am also now getting into the guts of the pop-up windows, and cleaning those up as well.

The mechanics of the interface are also much better, as when a file is running everything is much easier to see from across the room, and the button and scale bar interaction is much more satisfying.

I dropped the tabbed DRO, and I dropped the history frame as well. I just started to test this out in a production environment, so I'll see how fluid the motions are when in full swing. I may want the history section back...

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds