Is there a way to print a message to AXIS?

More
17 Feb 2012 00:57 #17743 by BigJohnT
It has everything to do with running it from the LiveCD... you must install the LiveCD for things like this work.

My "code" is just a copy and paste from the terminal window.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2012 01:14 #17744 by beltramidave
John,
That is what I wondered. I mentioned that earlier, but you must have missed it. At least now I know it will work.
Thanks again for all your help!

More
17 Feb 2012 09:38 #17751 by ArcEye
Hi

Missed all the activity by being asleep in bed!

You need to read this entry on the thread, which has the preconditions for successfully running ANY user M code

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...=21&id=16878&limit=6

As you guessed and John confirmed, you can't do things like this from the Live CD and expect them to work, unless you know a lot more about Linux than I am guessing that you do.

The Live CD is really just for evaluation and testing and then installation.
I would not consider actually running a machine from it. Far too slow and potentially problematic.

regards

More
17 Feb 2012 11:01 #17753 by beltramidave
Thanks ArcEye...that is how this all started (by reading that thread).

I don't have any plans to run a machine from the LiveCD, I was just doing some testing as I have a small cnc running for a company in another state that wanted some modifications done to their interface. I don't have Ubuntu or Axis installed on anything in my shop, that is why I was I was running it from the CD.

There appears to be so much that can be done with this software that I didn't realize...looks like I will have to install it on one of my machines. I have been a little leary about installing it as all my machines are running Windows. I know I have come accross threads about a dual boot system, guess I will look into that more.

You are right in assumming that I know very little about the software as I am an electrician by trade....not a programmer or cnc operator. This forum is a awesome tool for learning!

Thanks to you and John for helping me figure this out!

Dave

More
17 Feb 2012 13:11 #17756 by BigJohnT
You might pop a spare hard drive in a machine and install it on that... depends on how often you have to switch back to winblows. I have two winblows computers and the rest are Ubuntu. Another thought is to scrounge up an unwanted older computer just to learn on. Around here if I asked a few folks I know I could find a few in a hurry and I live out in the woods! I think dual boot is an option on the LiveCD...

John

More
20 Feb 2012 20:59 #17877 by beltramidave
John & ArcEye,

I now have Ubuntu installed (dual boot), but I still can't get my message to pop up. What can I be missing?

More
20 Feb 2012 22:19 #17879 by BigJohnT
Some minor detail I assume. Fill us in with what you did after you installed the LiveCD.

John

More
20 Feb 2012 22:42 #17882 by beltramidave
Hi John,

1. I put my files (stopmessage.png and M112) in the following directory: /home/dave/emc2/nc_files.
2. My M112 files is this:
#!/bin/bash
eog /home/dave/emc2/nc_files/stopmessage.png
exit 0
3. I put "M112" in my .ngc program

I can run 'eog /home/dave/emc2/nc_files/stopmessage.png' in terminal and my message pops up. But, just as before, when my program reaches the M112 command, the program stops and nothing else happens. I have checked to make sure that 'M112' is an executable file as well.

I am running EMC-HAL-SIM-AXIS configuration. The .ini file (axis.ini) is located in : /home/dave/emc2/configs/sim. The Program_Prefix is : /home/dave/emc2/nc_files

More
20 Feb 2012 23:28 #17883 by BigJohnT
All that looks perfect, what happens when you issue a M112 in the MDI tab?

John

More
20 Feb 2012 23:38 #17885 by beltramidave
absolutely nothing

Time to create page: 0.674 seconds