How do I do a manual tool change?

More
08 Nov 2021 23:55 - 08 Nov 2021 23:56 #225737 by Vladcronos
lol, here we are, 9 years later and still no manual tool change? That came unexpected to me, as I find it hard to understand why to just stop disabling jogging and let me jog just like mach3/4 and let me reset Z at any position. Seems dead simple... seems like that is gonna ruin my day today haha
Last edit: 08 Nov 2021 23:56 by Vladcronos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2021 00:10 #225739 by Vladcronos
Hi Andy, I am here with the same problem, and I agree that manual tool change is a pita. I can easily setup a sensor tho, right on a side of a bed for example. I am not very experienced in coding though, Could you please guide me in the right direction, maybe there is some sort of basic guide on setting that up anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

More
09 Nov 2021 00:43 #225742 by tommylight

lol, here we are, 9 years later and still no manual tool change? That came unexpected to me, as I find it hard to understand why to just stop disabling jogging and let me jog just like mach3/4 and let me reset Z at any position. Seems dead simple... seems like that is gonna ruin my day today haha

Really ??????
Maybe you forgot this:
forum.linuxcnc.org/39-pncconf/44138-stra...n-analog-outputs-ssr

More
09 Nov 2021 07:54 #225785 by Vladcronos
What does it have to do with my question here?

More
11 Nov 2021 21:12 #226143 by andypugh

Hi Andy, I am here with the same problem, and I agree that manual tool change is a pita. I can easily setup a sensor tho, right on a side of a bed for example. I am not very experienced in coding though, Could you please guide me in the right direction, maybe there is some sort of basic guide on setting that up anywhere?

If you use the Gmoccapy GUI then tool-length probing is integrated in to the GUI (with a few config tweaks):
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gui/gmoccapy....uto-tool-measurement

More
11 Nov 2021 22:08 #226150 by Vladcronos
Thanks a lot for the link Andy, gonna dig into that tonight then! .. to call that a "few" is a stretch tho, haha. I have a feeling that whoever wrote that documentation spent much more time and more effort to make that text than it would take to just improve the software and just implement these features in an easier way so we all don't have to do the same programming task on our computers million times (for million users), to make them accessible to non Linux programmer people, like myself. I'll eventually learn this and figure it out, but maaaan, that so inefficient... :(

More
13 Nov 2021 09:53 - 13 Nov 2021 09:56 #226296 by Vladcronos
been trying to setup a simple basic probe on GMOCCAPY and turned out it requires a flight to the moon and back to have that basic function working. I am heavenly shocked how this software doesn't have simple probing functionality even, and expects you to code it yourself. Having a trillion errors, docs are awfully written, wrong paths everywhere. I guess gmoccapy author assumes that everyone knows certain things, like folder paths, especially when he puts incorrect non existing ones into his docs. Anyways, that's a disaster. Do you guys think switching to Axis GUI is gonna make it simpler and more straightforward and refined? Haven't tried it yet.

You must copy the following files to your config directoryFirst make a directory python in your config folder from your_linuxcnc-dev_directory/configs/sim/gmoccapy/python copy toplevel.py to your config_dir/python folder. Copy remap.py to your config_dir/python folder Copy stdglue.py to your config_dir/python folder.From your_linuxcnc-dev_directory/configs/sim/gmoccapy/macros copy on_abort.ngc to the directory specified in the SUBROUTINE_PATH see  RS274NGC Section . From your_linuxcnc-dev_directory/configs/sim/gmoccapy/macros copy change.ngc to the directory specified as SUBROUTINE_PATH see  RS274NGC Section . Open change.ngc with a editor and uncomment the following lines (49 and 50):

This part alone should have anyone worried. "your_linuxcnc-dev_directory" , "config-dir"... seriously, ffs....

Seriously considering selling all linux setup and going back to mach4+pokeys57. Counting time alone I am already $1000+ in loss just setting that all up just by hours of struggle alone.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 09:56 by Vladcronos.

More
13 Nov 2021 10:02 #226298 by +Jan+
For Axis you might also have a look here: 

In the comments of the video you find the link to the files: www.talla83.de/linuxcnc/WZ-PROBE.zip
The only thing I had to do is cancelling the TLO a bit earlier than in the original file:

Instead:
G53 Z#1702            (Wechsel Z Position)
G53 X#1700 Y#1701        (Wechsel XY Position)
M6 T#<_selected_tool>

G53 X#1801 Y#1802       (Taster Position)
G53 Z#1800            (Sichere Z Position)

G43.1 Z0            (TLO reset)

I hat to do:
G53 Z#1702            (Wechsel Z Position)
G53 X#1700 Y#1701        (Wechsel XY Position)
M6 T#<_selected_tool>

G43.1 Z0            (TLO reset)

G53 X#1801 Y#1802       (Taster Position)
G53 Z#1800            (Sichere Z Position)

Otherwise I got the message that the file exceeds Z limits...

I have a feeling that whoever wrote that documentation spent much more time and more effort to make that text than

Linuxcnc brings the advantage of maximum adaptability. I always look at the manual from this point of view. It is not about showing a way, but to enable the user to implement his own way. Without a lot of training or programming experience, it's difficult (that's how I feel, too). But hey, there is fortunately this forum, Youtube and other sources of information. I am glad that there are people who develop and document such a powerful free tool like Linuxcnc in their free time.

Best wishes

Jan

More
13 Nov 2021 10:15 - 13 Nov 2021 10:20 #226301 by Vladcronos
Thank you very much Jan, going to give this a shot tomorrow (5am here). Pretty desperate at this point already. Did not expect this.

Spent the whole day already simply trying to solve stupid problem that shouldn't even exist - simultaneous Wi-Fi and mesa board connection - doesn't work on default settings. Kinda solved it but still very shaky. And yeah, I youtubed and googled the sh&t out of everything before even coming here. Not really well documented on internet aside from original source, seems like not many people are even using this, especially gmoccapy that I chose. Going to switch to Axis tomorrow and start over.

Usually a good documentation should allow a user without deep HAL programming knowledge to use given software. Not the case here, as documentation is pretty useless - you cant just copy paste any blocks or use basic logic, you absolutely need to learn all that deep coding first, in which case might as well have no documentation at all, as it all renders it completely useless. Once I learn syntax and understand the architecture, I wouldnt care less about those instructions. Documentation for GMOCCapy is so huge, and badly written, that I feel that that person should have just spent all that time working on the software instead, apparently huge amounts of time spent on writing that, which serves nearly zero purpose - basic functions work out of the box as is, and for everything else you can consider that documentation non existing.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 10:20 by Vladcronos.

More
13 Nov 2021 13:28 #226318 by d2inventory
I'm sure you're going to rewrite that documentation so it will be really good after you're done, right?

Also Wi-Fi and mesa board works on default settings, well at least I haven't changed the default settings for mine and it works.
Could it be that the problem exists between your screen and chair?

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds