How do I do a manual tool change?

More
02 May 2023 19:51 #270504 by Geosec

Note that the "Jog while paused" page was written in 2010. There have been changes since then including: linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/moveoff.9.html
But this does not seem to be relevant to the question of manual toolchanges.
(I don't think that LinuxCNC tries to maintain the queue through a toolchange. If it does, then this seems an unecessary complication)

I generally arrange my machining as a separate G-code program for each tool anyway, as it makes re-starting jobs easier. And sometimes it is easier and quicker to swap parts than tools.

Without a tool length probe I would suggest carrying on as you are, one G-code file per tool.

Yea, I saw it was an old post... read most of it. I wouldn't have replied if it weren't for the reply in March of this year.

I've moved getting a -tool length probe- way up the to do list. Is it any easier to add a probe with probebasic than gmocappy? I've only recently seen screen shots of probebasic and it look interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2023 21:22 #270507 by andypugh
Sorry, can't help with the tool probing question, my machines all have repeatable tooling (BT30 on the mill, Multifix on the lathe)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geosec

More
21 May 2023 23:45 #271890 by JohnnyCNC
When I first started with CNC a few years ago I used a separate G-Code file for each tool. A side benefit of this while learning was that it one operation didn't go as expect I could run it again if I hadn't already ruined the part. Then I got a 3D probe, a tool setter, and a bunch of tool holders. Now I have a mix of fixed length tools and variable length like drills, taps, and rarely used tools. I did a remap of the M6 code (based on the work of others) that allows me to touch off on the work piece at the start of the job and then I ah prompted to put in the next tool at every tool change. If the tool is a fixed length tool (length > 0 in tool table) it goes right to cutting. If the tool is variable length it goes over to the tool-setter and gets measured and then goes on to cutting.  For more info see this post .

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geosec

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds