How do I do a manual tool change?

More
13 Nov 2021 19:45 #226352 by Vladcronos
the problem between screen and chair happens for all of us. I don't have that now, all I have is a limited knowledge of heavy coding like that. I expect from software to offer basic stuff like that without user having to code that from what it looks like worse than from the scratch even. Because we all know it is always easier to code from the scratch than to try to find sense in someone else's mess.

As far as rewriting, as I already said, that time could be utilized into making a better code and not into writing 1000 page poems of how to work around that mess by coding stuff. Good code needs the minimum of documentation.

I am still suspecting that going to gmoccapy was a mistake in a first place, which is why I will try the default UI for linuxcnc today, the layout and tools there seem waaaaay more logical and clean. I only chose gmoccapy because I have a large touch screen there.

AFA that wifi issue goes, google that and you will easily find out that it is a known problem without any workarounds really. despite setting 10.10.10.10 for the card, the wifi would immediately become non responsive once mesa is connected.

You have to keep in mind that i am on rpi4 and not on a full computer, that doesnt make the setup simpler, as you can imagine. But I wanted a clean setup where the whole brain is attached behind my monitor and the only wire to control section is LAN cable. Going to put my whole saturday to the drain today probably to do another attempt to make that tool change work.

It is absolutely ridiculous that linuxCNC wont just simply let you jog and reset the tool height manually, thats literally two line of code to enable that, 1) stop disabling manual jog during tool change and 2) enable Z zeroing. How hard can that even be? And guess what I have seen people reporting that and requesting that feature since 2012(!!!) to no avail. Yes you are gonna again say its free, but ffs guys, even if its free it doesnt give it a right to be so half assed and not add basics like that for nearly 10 years. I personally absolutely dont mind paying for software, I actually prefer that. Sadly I did not find any linux based software I could buy.

I know some of you are probably immortal and have endless time in their life, and dont get me wrong, I do enjoy tinkering and I am a maker, but when it comes to some stupid and ridiculous things where I am forced now into working with such half assed things, that can't be any further from creative fun I like having when tinkering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2021 21:04 #226366 by Vladcronos
man, I was wrong about that semi auto tool change.... It is insanely not straightforward and even the file from your link says that it will need manually measured zero at first, which kills the whole point of everything. It makes much more sense in this case to just electrically isolate a vise and probe into the stock to set new zeros, but as crazy at it sounds, seems like in 10+ years nobody has done such a basic thing even in linuxcnc community. Or maybe just not shared, as I cant find any tutorials or hints at all.

More
13 Nov 2021 21:05 #226367 by cakeslob
Why not start from scratch, and get a working configuration using pncconf, and work from there.
Then, without the commentary, post what you are trying to do and what problem you are having. Start reading the docs from the beginning and work your way forward. Linuxcnc is well documented and there are many users who are doing what you are trying to do who are not pro hackers. Linuxcnc isnt the easiest but the docs are very detailed, and also assumes you understand basic computer concepts.

"your_linuxcnc-dev_directory" , "config-dir"

This is not linuxcnc specific, in computers documents when you see a directory called "your_x_directory" it means "where your linuxcnc is installed" Not everyone installs in the same location across all platforms with the same name . On my computer I called it "emc2" sometimes I call it "linuxcnc-dev" . meaning
"your_linuxcnc-dev_directory/configs/sim/gmoccapy/python" for me, would be "linuxcnc-dev/configs/sim/gmoccapy/python" or "emc2/configs/sim/gmoccapy/python"

"config_dir/python " config_dir means "what ever you names your configuration/python" it means the folder where your machine configuration folder is. Everyone will have a different name for it, and "config_dir" is generic term for it. for example "my_linuxcnc_machine/python" , your ini config would be "my_linuxcnc_machine/my_machine.ini"

Im not very good with computers either, but patience is a virtue, and linuxcnc does come with a learning curve. It takes some time at the beginning to learn the basic concepts, but that time spent learning pays dividends later when you are able to make your machine do thing other controller software cannot. I didnt start my projects cnc projects with the intention of it becoming more about linuxcnc than my actual cnc machine, but it is the most capable opensource controller, so I consider the time invested as the cost of doing business. If you are having issues with machine down time, consider reverting to your old setup while learning the basics of linuxcnc and change over once you are satisfied with the results and have time to problem solve. There are several users with youtube channels that explain basic concepts and setups. offhand i can only remember rotarysmp and ferel engineer , their channels are here
www.youtube.com/c/Theferalengineer/videos
www.youtube.com/user/RotarySMP/videos?app=desktop

Another good resource for beginners that is fairly new is PrintNC, to make it even easier, they are using the same 7i96 you are using.
wiki.printnc.info/en/controllers/linuxcnc
"Q - Is there a way to get WiFi working in LinuxCNC? I would like to use remote desktop on WiFi since I have Mesa eth card.
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse"

wiki.printnc.info/en/controllers/linuxcnc/tool-setter-no-probe
wiki.printnc.info/en/controllers/linuxcnc/ztouchplate

There are many people on the forum who are willing to help you with your issues, with the understanding that linuxcnc and its hardware are made to be generalized to work with many platforms and not one specific setup, and setup by the user, so there is no one size fits all guide/configuration. I will be the first to admit linuxcnc is hard, but people will help you, or help you help your self. When asking for help, you will get probably get more help if you keep your personal comments and frustrations to yourself, and not be so abrasive/antagonistic towards the people who maintain the project (for free) in their spare time. They will probably be less inclines to want to assist you if you attack them in every post.

My advice to you would be setup a working configuration, with everything working properly. Once you have that, start with the toolchange. when you encounter an issue you do not understand, or know how to solve, make your question simple and to the point, for example, "I am trying to setup a manual tool change that automatically probes after toolchange and resumes program. I have a setup but I am getting xx error. Here is my machine configuration (this is where you post the contents of your configuration, for example your .ini/.hal and the other files in your configuration folder)", if you pack them all into a .zip file and post that, its even easier to help you. Its much easier to help you when you post specific problems you are having , instead of generalized frustrations.

More
13 Nov 2021 21:24 - 13 Nov 2021 21:24 #226368 by cakeslob

You have to keep in mind that i am on rpi4

You have to make people aware of that fact before they can keep that in mind. It makes a difference if you are using an RPI4 insteadof a full computer. like you said, it does not make it simpler. The fact that it is an rpi4, I would go as far to suggest to not even use wifi, it adversely affects performance and I personally dont use it but I also do not use an Ethernet card. The rpi4 is much less tested than normal pc but Im sure other users are using the same setup with success. You will need to look into your wifi setting on raspbian.

On that note, lets start from the beginning of your issue by posting your setup, and how you installed linuxcnc. Are you using the premade image from the linuxcnc website?[/quote]
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 21:24 by cakeslob.

More
13 Nov 2021 22:16 - 13 Nov 2021 22:29 #226374 by Vladcronos
Damn, I was writing for like 15 minutes to you man, and accidentally clicked back button on a keyboard with backspace while not in text field... sh&t accumulates fast when you are frustrated like that for sure. which is why I also hate forums, so inefficient.

Anyways, not gonna rewrite all that again... the most important was to thank you for your help.

I am using a pre-made rpi4 image from linuxcnc website, therefore all those paths were an unknown to me - I haven't installed linuxcnc at all, it came preinstalled there.

for wifi I do need it at least for testing, as it is impossible to stand for days in my garage (where it is going now apparently). But I got that working actually. was misguided again into installing a gnome network-manager, which caused more problem that I had before that and messed up configuration files for me. once I figure all the correct settings and everything, I will reflush the OS and do a cleaner setup for sure. Also it is really handy for file transfer as I use XRDP + remote desktop on windows, I can make a CAM this way and just drag and drop it without having to worry about using flash drives etc.

So my steps so far:
1) installed an ISO from linuxcnc on RPI4
2) ran PNC conf, tuned everything there (pretty straightforward and nice there and all was on schedule so to speak and I was pretty happy with the progress)
3) realized that I cant manually change a tool in gmoccapy, spent another hour walking around with "wtf face".
4) started messing with adding that functionality, which already turned into 5x more time wasted than the whole previous setup where machine was already working fine, just with one tool.
5) went to GMOCCAPY documentation (linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gui/gmoccapy....l-measurement-videos), found kind of tutorial, followed it carefully 3 times already. That turned linuxcnc into a frozen mammoth and nothing works at all now. HAL pins are connected correctly and I can see them changing TRUE/FALSE when triggered inside linuxcnc. the guy in docs also used PROBE variable instead of standard PROBE-IN, which by itself may have messed things up, but I am not sure how to troubleshoot that.

All my config files are attached, or so I think.

If anyone feels generous with their time, here are my messengers: t.me/vladcronos , m.me/vladcronos . Would be actually much faster over there. Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 22:29 by Vladcronos.

More
13 Nov 2021 22:31 - 13 Nov 2021 22:36 #226376 by +Jan+
So you want to work without tool length compensation, but move your Z zero point every time? I have a feeling you haven't understood the advantages of Dynamic Tool Length Compensation.
Nevertheless, I could imagine it working as follows:

Add the following to  your ini:

[RS274NGC]
REMAP=M6 modalgroup=6 ngc=messen_z

Create the file messen_z.ngc in your macro folder and add the following content:

O<messen_z> sub
#1810=-100        (Position sicheres Z)
#1811=1279.1250        (Position Taster X)
#1812=2498        (Position Taster Y)
#1813=-196.5 (max. probing travel - incremental move)
#1814=2.379 (Offset sensor trigger point to Z 0)
M5
G90 G0     
G53 Z#1810            (Move to safe Z Position)
G53 X#1811 Y#1812       (Move over sensor)
G91
G38.2 Z#1813  F850        (fast probing)
G1    Z3.0  F500        (go up again)    
G38.2 Z-3.25  F25         (fine probing)
G90 G0
G10 L20 P1 Z#1814 (Set Z0 in respect to your given sensor z offset)     
G53 Z#1810         (move to safe z)
G53 Y2475
G91
G0 Y-20 (move away from sensor, so that you do not crash if you go down again)
G90 G0
(MSG, set Z0)
O<messen_z> endsub
M2

I just tested the code on my machine, but still consider them a suggestion to use at your own risk! You have to adapt the parameters to your machine coordinates and conditions. 

Best wishes

Jan
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 22:36 by +Jan+.

More
13 Nov 2021 22:41 #226377 by Vladcronos
Yes, at least for now, i think it will be a shorter path to a fucntioning machine for me. I can imagine that I will be bound to having a stock top surface always available and if I face it for example, it will mess things up. But afais dinamic compensation is even more complicated, and everytime I will put something into the vise it will have a different height meaning I will have to measure it manually allt he time, which kills the point of all of this.

My Setup as I meantioned is that I change collets and tools only, not the whole chuck. If you think it will be bette rto go another route I am all ears, because at this point I have no idea wth I am doing anyways.

Going to try your code now, thanks a lot!

More
13 Nov 2021 22:50 - 13 Nov 2021 22:53 #226379 by d2inventory
Can you see the common pattern in most of your comments? It's deflecting blame to everyone and everything else other than you. Obviously it's the person who wrote the software who sucks, not you. Obviously it's the person who wrote the documentation who sucks, not you. Obviously it's the forum that sucks and is inefficient and not you fat fingering.
How about you take some responsibility like a grown adult instead of behaving like a toddler?

A very quick look at your config folder and the documentation give it away instantly that you didnt follow the documentation.
It very clearly says that you have to copy the files into the directory specified in the ini -> section "RS274NGC" -> key "SUBROUTINE_PATH".
Is there such a key specified in your .ini? No ofc not. But hey obviously it's again the shitty documentation and the software should just have it in there and the whole linux thingy and stuff is bad, totally not you just not doing a step clearly written out in the documentation. noooooo, you being at fault? never!!!

I mean if the documentation is so very hard for you to understand then just go ahead and rewrite it. It's open software and documentation, everyone can participate and improve. Why just be a leech if you could also contribute?
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 22:53 by d2inventory.

More
13 Nov 2021 22:58 #226381 by +Jan+
"...I can imagine that I will be bound to having a stock top surface always available and if I face it for example, it will mess things up..."

I would recommend placing Z0 on the bottom of the material in your cam system, or placing the sensor/contact plate on the material surface when measuring. In that case, an M0 at the beginning and end of the remap code would be appropriate.

"I change collets and tools only"

This is exactly where dynamic tool measurement comes in...

More
13 Nov 2021 23:01 #226383 by Vladcronos
File Attachment:

screenshot above. had to upload to imgur... imgur.com/a/Tvz7ZQC

Apparently there is some more mess from that gmoccapy tutorial now. should I check if python is present on that OS? 

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds