MONSTER - A learning experience... pyVCP machine

More
11 Oct 2015 17:06 #63679 by cncbasher
nice work Jerry , wish i was as good at graphics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2015 21:15 - 11 Oct 2015 21:15 #63685 by Askjerry
For some reason I'm good at making panel indicators and controls... if anyone needs help just let me know... it's fun for me.
It's a shame that images can't be made into buttons... or that buttons can't contain images... that would give a lot more functionality. (Talking about pyVCP, not GLADE.)

I write applications in Visual Basic, HTML, PHP, and a bit of Android (B4A / B4J) so I do that there... here you have to do them separately... but I'm completely redoing the Monster Mill... adding a second parallel port today to give me more inputs. I'll update here when I get it all running properly. I was helping a Norwegian group at Telemark University College get their panel updated... and started working with RPM indicators. Now I'm thinking of adding that functionality as well.

Jerry
Last edit: 11 Oct 2015 21:15 by Askjerry.

More
11 Oct 2015 22:11 #63686 by andypugh

adding a second parallel port today to give me more inputs.

It generally makes more sense to fasten a Pico or Mesa card to the existing port. You get a lot more pins, and much faster stepgens.

For example: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_85&product_id=291

72 IO pins @ 24mA for $60

More
11 Oct 2015 22:38 - 11 Oct 2015 22:48 #63687 by Askjerry
I am familiar with those types of cards... the parallel cards are cheap, $15 or less. I sometimes get them at a local surplus place for $5... so they were cheap to experiment with... and the STEPCONFIG allows setup using them. I have not yet set up a machine with the other type cards. I actually have an older AR-B2201 card that I had used originally, it had 32 Input, 32 Output pins. Unfortunately, older style PC connector, so it doesn't fit anymore. Manual: www.acrosser.com/download/2201bv10.pdf

Eventually, I want to build a SCARA robot... for that, I'll likely need the additional pin-out of the MESA cards. I don't know how to set them up and configure them... do you have a link to someone showing the installation and setup using LinuxCNC? For the older board above it was just a port selection... the factory default was &H3E0 and the next 7 consecutive addresses.

I would like to learn how to set them up... as I'm certain I'll need to do that for robotics projects in the future.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2015 22:48 by Askjerry.

More
11 Oct 2015 22:57 - 11 Oct 2015 22:58 #63689 by andypugh

I actually have an older AR-B2201 card that I had used originally, it had 32 Input, 32 Output pins. Unfortunately, older style PC connector, so it doesn't fit anymore. Manual: www.acrosser.com/download/2201bv10.pdf

Not much chance of finding a PC to plug it in to nowadays, but I wrote a driver for a different ISA card and it was pretty simple. For some reason it doesn't show up in the html documentation, but there is a man-page.
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...f91d011eb2db;hb=HEAD is the source code, not a great deal to it.

do you have a link to someone showing the installation and setup using LinuxCNC?

Normally you would use pncconf but I am not sure if that has caught up with the 7i90 yet. It does support the 7i43.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2015 22:58 by andypugh.

More
11 Oct 2015 23:06 #63690 by Askjerry
I just fired up the development machine (Linux Box) and took a look at the pncconf system... I see it really steps you through everything... now you have me wanting to get one of these boards to experiment with... pretty cool how it takes a joystick input, etc. So much to learn... so much to learn...

More
12 Oct 2015 04:01 #63700 by Todd Zuercher
I'm the one Andy wrote the isa card driver for.

Motherboards with an ISA slot are not impossible to find, but they tend not to be very cheap. ($300ish for a P4/Core2 Duo board).
www.industrialpcpro.com/imba-g412isa-ind...ynu8gcfugyhwodyjwi7q

More
19 Oct 2015 11:38 - 19 Oct 2015 11:40 #63916 by Askjerry
So I stripped down the MONSTER machine and installed the second PARALLEL port ('cause they are cheap) so now I have the additional inputs I wanted... and many additional outputs as well.

I'm using the StainSmart breakout board... which has a relay tied to the parallel port: pin-14. It is normally used to switch on the spindle.
It's a 10A rated relay with a common, normally open (NO), and normally closed (NC) connections.

I got to thinking... the StainSmart board has the ENABLE pin for each axis tied to the parallel port PIN-1 which is used in some boards to ENABLE the driver. (When set to "Amplifier Enable") The Geckodrives that I'm using do not support this pin... so it is an extra.

I got the idea of taking this output and running it into the (NO) pin on the relay, then connecting the (NC) pin to ground. The relay common is then used to activate the SPINDLE. So in effect what happens is... even if the relay starts up in the "ON" position when you boot the machine... the ENABLE pin (PIN-1) is off... so the spindle is MUCH less likely to accidentally turn on when you start AXIS.

I still have an override switch... it connects breaks the signal to the main SPINDLE relay (115vac powered) when switched off. I have a real panel with a switch... there is a symbol of a spinning endmill and another with a wrench... anyone who uses my machine knows to switch this to the picture of the wrench when changing bits... just to be safe.

So now... to get the spindle to spin...
  • The 220vac 3-phase converter has to be ON.
  • The safety switch has to be set to RUN (picture of an endmill)
  • AXIS has to be running and "switched on"... ENABLE ACTIVE.
  • SPINDLE ON signal must be present.

• Every bit of extra safety is a good thing right?
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 11:40 by Askjerry.

More
19 Oct 2015 17:01 #63929 by andypugh

Every bit of extra safety is a good thing right?

Within limits. Safety that gets in the way gets bypassed.
Have you ever seen anyone drilling with the drilling guard lowered?

(ie, this sort of thing: drillpressview.com/wp-content/uploads/20...ill_press_shield.jpg )

More
19 Oct 2015 20:08 #63936 by Askjerry
True... so if they don't put the switch into the "maintenance mode" to change the bit... instead of just one signal... it still requires two...

In the past, I have started AXIS while the rotary 3-phase converter was on... and the spindle came on for a second or two.

This should at least mitigate that to some extent.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds