Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
28 Feb 2021 13:36 #200414 by Surmetall
Hi Mark,

great video! As i said last time, i really like the Schaublin! I am also really impressed how cool and intuitive with nearly all cool features of today's needs the original controller was made! Impressive for the late 70's!

But in my workshop space = gold. So i would remount the Panel and the big cabinet and would order small powerful AC-Servos from JMC like on my FP3. So you only need a Power supply for a Mesa and the drivers only need a breaker, that also saves money and space in the cabinet. i think something like the 400w JMC AC-servos would be perfect.

And i would try to mount the Z-Axis servo different, maybe flipped an attache a tooth belt to the ball screw so no space is wasted and all is very compact.

Are there glasscales on the machine?

Looking forward for the retrofit, and of course the videos. :)

Cheers Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2021 14:17 #200421 by andypugh
Having watched the video:

Option 3(a)(i) If you can't get the existing resolvers to work with a 7i49 then swap them for conventional resolvers.
I have one that was given to me by another LinuxCNC dude.
Tamagawa Brushless Resolver.
1" register dia, 1/8" shaft.
I suspect a drop-in replacement for the Singer.
But I only have one spare (the other is on my milling machine spindle).
Identical to this, but cleaner.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293533335821

Do you want to send me one of your resolvers and I can try it on one of my 7i49s?

More
28 Feb 2021 14:23 - 28 Feb 2021 14:23 #200422 by andypugh
Bear in mind that I have been playing with veteran / vintage cars and bikes for almost 40 years.

But that controller is such a lovely old thing, and so very-nearly working that it has to be saved.

But that lathe is so nice that it has to be used.

So I think that the only choice is two retrofits:

1) Retrofit the lathe to a modern LinuxCNC control.
2) Retrofit the controller to a Chinese Micro lathe, mounted on top, as a display piece.

Where is the controller software stored? (Does it even still exist? What we have seen so far is possibly all hardware)
Last edit: 28 Feb 2021 14:23 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoWerna

More
28 Feb 2021 17:06 #200438 by J Green
Replied by J Green on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Hi Mark
Congratulations for the new Green Machine ! Any chance you could drag some of the German website Schaublin 125 conversion photos to here?
The missing tailstock
Now you can design an cast one that is more useful than the original part . Incorporate a bar puller - starwhell quill - etc. . Something like a 160 series tailstock .

Read your thinking of using a 7i97Bd. an wondered if you had considered using a 7i98 as used in "Retrofit of a Hitachi - Seikei VK45 Mill " . . Would also be interested in your thoughts about motor an drive for the spindle . Just interested in your thoughts .

Bob
Attachments:

More
28 Feb 2021 17:54 #200446 by andypugh

The missing tailstock
Now you can design an cast one that is more useful than the original part . Incorporate a bar puller - starwhell quill - etc. . Something like a 160 series tailstock .

There is a 125CNC here with the starwheel tailstock:
www.exapro.com/schaublin-125-ccn-p90724026/#

Oh, and here is a conventional one for sale. The video is from 2015, but at the asking price I am not surprised that he still has it:
www.nielsmachines.com/en/schaublin-125-tailstock.html

Reading around, the 2-speed star-wheel Schaublin tailstock appears to be very desirable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
28 Feb 2021 18:57 #200453 by trilobyte
Hi Mark

i would take the old stuff out. i would spend new motors and drivers to the machine. i mounted 3phase berger lahr stepper with leadshine drivers. these are ok, but max speed is 1500mm/min.
i may update to ac servos. the tool change takes tooo long with this 1500mm/min. 6000 would be nice!

the new elp series of leadshine would maybe a good choice?
www.leadshine.com/ProductSubType.aspx?ty...tage-ac-servo-drives

peter

More
28 Feb 2021 19:44 #200457 by RotarySMP
Hi Tom,
No there are no glass scale encoders on there...yet :)
Mark

More
28 Feb 2021 19:48 #200458 by RotarySMP

There is a 125CNC here with the starwheel tailstock

Reading around, the 2-speed star-wheel Schaublin tailstock appears to be very desirable.

My mate Jörg, who helped unload and drag it into the garage has a 125-CCN, the later model with the Fanuc controller. He has one of those star wheel tail stocks in his. I guess the pneumatic tail stock was not that popular, s all the later ones I have seen have the star wheel one. I plan to borrow Jörgs tail stock and copy it.
Mark.

More
28 Feb 2021 19:50 #200459 by RotarySMP

Hi Mark

i would take the old stuff out. i would spend new motors and drivers to the machine. i mounted 3phase berger lahr stepper with leadshine drivers. these are ok, but max speed is 1500mm/min.
i may update to ac servos. the tool change takes tooo long with this 1500mm/min. 6000 would be nice!

the new elp series of leadshine would maybe a good choice?
www.leadshine.com/ProductSubType.aspx?ty...tage-ac-servo-drives

peter

Thanks for the feedback Peter. For those who dont know, Peter has the same 125-CNC, or a slightly earlier model with the gear train xis drive. I will be trying to copy his shoe horning of everything into the Pneumatics compartment, to delete the E-cabinet.
Mark

More
01 Mar 2021 07:58 #200512 by db1981
Replied by db1981 on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
What size are the actually mounted servos?
flange, shaft, holding torque, rpm ?

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds