Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades

More
12 Jul 2012 00:22 #21812 by bobinater
thanks rob

My lathe does have the parts catcher and the air powered parting tool as well as the octagon shaped turret

It appears that all of the air valves are electrically actuated so I am not sure weather all of the air components are even working

it would probably be a good idea to make sure all of this equipment works before attempting a retrofit? Wouldn't you think?

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 08:39 #21816 by robh
Replied by robh on topic Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades
well in turth i pulled all mine out and replaced with new valves only as some of the macy ones had died before and here u can not buy them so i went with something off the shelf in UK.
as i had some already replaced when it was on old control i just wanted to tidy it all up etc...

most are 110V but afew are 24V i think turret up and turret lockpin/cousin are 24v ones

hardinge manuals dont give u too much info on CHNC so its abit of a figure it out as you go.
forthe HNC iv not chceked the manual

rob

More
12 Jul 2012 17:53 #21839 by bobinater
Hey rob any chance you may have some pics of the air control section of the lathe

I would like to get a look at what you did, I think I will have plenty of air to run this thing providing I

get all of the leaks repaired I have a 125 gallon air compressor that puts out about 70-90 cfm

hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks

Bob

More
12 Jul 2012 18:19 #21840 by robh
i iwll have a look i might have to snap afew when i have a moment tho

yea we have a large compressure like that if u have no leaks or can stop the closer leaking ull be ok..
but find piston is always on,
so we have a hydrovane compressor which easy keeps up with it we stick one,.. but we have alot of other things on in shop too , a bunch of mills and laths

More
12 Jul 2012 19:16 #21841 by bobinater
That would be great thanks I think i will disconnect the outlet line on each component to

figure out exactly what goes to what, ie collet closer parts catcher part off ect.

I will keep all posted on the progress, getting new camera this weekend so lots of pics to come next week.

thanks all

Bob

More
12 Jul 2012 20:21 #21845 by BigJohnT
The CHNC is an air hog the biggest leaker is the collet closer and the runner up is the tool turret cushion. I've completely rebuilt my collet closer and it still leaks like a sieve when open. It's OK when closed...

I have a 175psig 15CFM Ingersol Rand two stage piston compressor with a 60 gallon tank and the compressor kicks on every few minutes it seems while the CHNC is running.

John

More
12 Jul 2012 20:40 #21849 by bobinater
Hey john

is the collet closer like a cnc mill with an ATC it vents air when changing tools or is there something I should know

I.e would it be worthwhile to replace the whole thing with a Dorian and hook it up to the solenoid

or is there a chance that I can still get a rebuild kit for mine?

Thanks

bob

More
12 Jul 2012 21:16 #21850 by BigJohnT
Your questions don't make sense... the collet closer on the back of the spindle I got replacement o-rings and quad rings from McMaster Carr. The o-rings came in packs of 25 so I have plenty left over. The collet closer (mine anyway) leaks a small amount when closed and leaks a lot when open... I'm not sure if that is a flush like a ATC does when the tool holder comes out but that does make some sense if you have a bar feeder.

The tool changer is not too bad but the cushion leaks air all the time. I would not trade it for a manual tool holder.

John

More
12 Jul 2012 22:23 #21853 by robh
bobinater wrote:

Hey john

is the collet closer like a cnc mill with an ATC it vents air when changing tools or is there something I should know

I.e would it be worthwhile to replace the whole thing with a Dorian and hook it up to the solenoid

or is there a chance that I can still get a rebuild kit for mine?

Thanks

bob

the way CHNC one works and HNC
is so when u loose air u still have air in the closer and u still grip onto that part in the collet or chuck as spindle dont stop right away on air or power loss

on most mills air or hydrolic is air or hydrolic on to push cylinder down.. and they have belleville washers inside ram to push them back up and hold onto the pull stud. which keeps tool in on power loss etc...

mine does not leak on the cylidner part that is perfect
where it does leak is on the bit that directs the air into the cylinder unit..
has two bearings in it.. and two pipes on bottom..

this directs air down to vent holes in draw tube if u like.
mine leaks out the bearings.. u cant make them a good fit or it will just bind and run up give big problems and brake something.. has to leak by design.

this is why we are looking to replace it with a hydrolic closer kitagawa make units for this
www.kitagawaeurope.com/hydraulic-cylinders/

rob

More
12 Jul 2012 23:36 #21858 by bobinater
John

we have a dorian collet closer on out Haas tool room lathe and we run it off of the coollant relay instead of coolant with an m08 & m09

we get collet open or close with either command, did not mean to not make sense but the dorian air closer might not work on the hnc

because it would not allow for bar stock to be fed from the through hole on the head stock

Bob

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds