Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades

More
12 Feb 2024 04:25 #293123 by glbreil
Thanks Robh, mine is a CHNC 2. I would be grateful for information on the servo you used and definitely the adapter.

I wonder if Hardinge gets away with the backlash by rotating the same direction all of the time. Without understanding completely I was thinking it could be set up like a rotary indexer and just move a certain number of degrees for each tool position.

I think what you have done is pretty rare and impressive and I appreciate the conversation and whatever help you can give.

Thanks Gary Breiling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2024 11:47 #295396 by glbreil
Robh, I am not sure where you are located, but I will be in England in May if it would work out and I might be reasonably close I would enjoy seeing how you modified the turret. Gary

More
29 Mar 2024 09:33 #297077 by robh
Replied by robh on topic Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades
sorry crazy month was not in the country for abit out on work etc

back around now for quite some time

servo was just alittle 200/400W i had laying around Mitshibishi one. more than enouth for this kind of turret

the main issue with servo on it, is there is a iddle gear inside the slide, this has zero backlash comp ability and is a very loose gear fit on teeth. i looked to do something with it but was alot of modding etc todo, maybe if you had a 2nd gear you might beable to offset two and lock it so its an anti backlash gear then..
alot of the CHNC parts are around 1 & 2 use the same slide was only control change i sure off

i left the hardinge encoder inside the slide, this reports true tool position then always
and you can easily work out the encoder counts tool to tool, so i just doa quick easy where am i tool #, work out encoder counts to next positon needed, forward or back and away you go

alot of other error checks etc inside a comp i wrote.

More
29 Mar 2024 09:39 #297080 by robh
i am located in Cambrdigeshire , east of england area

you can come and look no problem, i have a lot of machiens running linuxcnc in many forms.. and many non linuxcnc
but i dont know if you have been and gone now but i can be around weekdays or weekends

now sure the best way to share all the code and files here so maybe others can view too

you can find me on IRC ill try and stay loged on UK evning time, nick is rob_h

More
30 Mar 2024 02:20 #297181 by glbreil
Thanks I believe we are going to be pretty close. We will be staying in Lavenham from May 14 to May 16. My grandpa was on a bomber out of Lavenham in WWII and we are going to be in the area and I would love to visit if we can make work with your schedule. 

I am not familiar with IRC, but I will see if I can figure it out. 

Thanks Gary

More
30 Mar 2024 08:45 #297202 by robh
hi grate, ill make sure i am about. it's a little over an hour away from us drive.

for IRC use the nice web client quick and easy to connect
linuxcnc.org/community/

just can not send private messages on the forum it seems now days.

More
30 Mar 2024 14:44 #297214 by glbreil
Thanks Rob, I am not actually using Linuxcnc, so the mechanics of it all is most interesting to me. Physical size of motor, mounting, shaft connection and all that. 

when I get to visit I would definitely like to learn a little about Linuxcnc as I have another one of these machines sitting around that needs to be retrofitted or scrapped. 

I think I might have figured out the IRC. 

Thanks Gary

More
31 Mar 2024 00:16 #297249 by glbreil
I am in the process of retrofitting my machine and I am tied to ethercat servos and absolute encoders at this stage of the game, so I won't have a need for the existing turret encoder.

I am getting pretty close to start up, and while not great the turret does function with the air motor set up so I have been reluctant to tear it all apart without having the parts I need and knowing exactly where I am going when it comes to changing to a servo motor.

Leadshine has a 200 watt AC servo motor that would fit my application, but it is a 60mm frame and 72 millimeters long.

Do you think that could be tucked in there with some sort of mounting adapter or will it have to be a 40mm frame size?

I guess a couple of other questions; first is the cast iron plate sandwiched between the cross slide and cover. Did you remove it, machine a hole in it, or was the motor short enough to fit inside it?

All of the pictures on the old post are from photo bucket and have their name across them. Any change you have any clear pictures of the mounting adapter still and the rest of your set up?

Thanks Gary

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds