Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades

More
13 Jul 2012 20:37 #21924 by BigJohnT
Ok, the HNC electrical is different IIRC (If I Recall Correctly). Although the HNC and the CHNC are similar in many ways.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2012 21:30 #21927 by robh
Replied by robh on topic Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades
BigJohnT wrote:

Ok, the HNC electrical is different IIRC (If I Recall Correctly). Although the HNC and the CHNC are similar in many ways.

John

should be some good info on net for HNC many have been done now

but like john said pritty much the same beast.

maybe jump on IRC for a chat with some of the others afew around with a HNC converted
rob

More
14 Jul 2012 17:03 #21940 by bobinater
Thanks rob could you let me know what the IRC channel # is for linuxcnc? I chatted with Chris R a while ago and He told me about the IRC

but I do not know the address?

thanks

Bob

More
14 Jul 2012 18:28 #21942 by BigJohnT
It's on freenode. You can use XChat or any other chat software or go to the Community tab here and use the java applet to connect.

John

More
10 Aug 2013 02:41 #37533 by robh
added a new video, shows some turret indexing also, indexing two places at a time as 4 sided turret is on and not a 8

More
13 Aug 2013 08:46 #37601 by Alloy Craft
looks good, I imagine much more reliable than the air motor. By the way Rob what did you end up setting your maximum axis federate and rapids at?

More
13 Aug 2013 14:22 #37606 by robh
the Max it allows, which is 10m/min in each axis
10m/min was the Z before, but X was only 5m/min due to motor size and gearing on the old setup.

i just made it all 1:1 as i put bigger motors on so i have the same torque still

More
26 Jan 2024 14:59 - 26 Jan 2024 17:44 #291660 by glbreil
Hello, new here and I know this is a really old post, but I didn’t see another way to make contact. 

I am currently retrofitting a CHNC II+ and I would love to have some more information about the turret servo. What you used, how you mounted it, etc. 

I can’t make out much in the photo bucket pictures attached. 

Thanks Gary Breiling
Last edit: 26 Jan 2024 17:44 by glbreil.

More
26 Jan 2024 15:31 #291662 by tommylight
Gary, remove the e-mail, automated robots will use it to spam you with everything.

More
11 Feb 2024 10:15 #293074 by robh
Hi Gary

Is yours a CHNC 1/2/3 model?
the 3 already had a servo driven turret as it had a latter fanuc control and many upgrades

1/2 i dont think there is much difference realy only controll and few functional things

the servo size i used was not very big, i think 200w or so.. just fits in the space i can check size if you wish, was a Mitshibishi i had laying around.

then i made an adapater to mount to the motor, with a custom shaft that push's on motor end and gear mounts like the old air motor end.. everything fits in the original hole no casting mods. even back cover refits.

i might have the solid model for the adapter i will need to check in the week when at work if it would help?

linuxcnc i just use a basic PID loop and a quick hal.comp i made but there might be a comp with in linuxcnc now to use.

it works yes, but the gears are very very unmeshed and not much you can do, yes you can rotate shaft/gear to mesh but still not perfect as there is a internmediate gear under the cover to side of the turret. this has a lot of play in it..

if i was todo this again i would look at can you put two gears that are adjustable to take care of 90% backlash? i think yes maybe. as some times the turret can get a little out of postion and not lock down on the pads becasue backlash is unknown.. but as it has taper lock blocks (mine does not have a earth ring, just 4 blocks) so very rare you dont get a lock.

the comp just index's the motor required encoder distance to the next station.
i used the old "absolute encoder" which just a hall effect sensor for position, so on turn on turret knows where it is tool wise. motor just set to 0 on encoder count on PID

i did look to see if was posible to mod the casting and put the work out of the back (z slide direction) but thats alot of work, would be best way and thats why fanuc/hardinge did it that way later on.

but it is way better than the old air motor issues you get. and the old catch plate that would always give a issue after awhile..

sorry long post now, i hope it kind of makes sense

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds