Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

More
11 May 2016 04:56 #74486 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

question about linuxcnc. With Mach3, when I wish to tweak a hole or profile size I have to go back to my CAM package and change the tool diameter or roughing clearance and regenerate the cut. Does linuxcnc work in a similar fashion or is there a way to offset a path by a couple thousandth as needed? I assume no which is an issue for me as I run my cam and mach on the same computer. Is there a good cam package that can run on the linux box along with the linuxcnc?

If you write your G-code without an offset for the tool radius, you can then use G42 or G43 radius offsets to make the CNC control offset its path by the tool's radius. By adjusting the tool diameter in the tool table, you can alter the path by small amounts to bring parts exactly on size, and compensate for tool wear.

This DOES require finding suitable positions for lead-in and lead-out moves.

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2016 11:22 - 11 May 2016 11:24 #74496 by LutzTD
Replied by LutzTD on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit
Hi Jon, yeah I dont write the code. CAM solutions are so cheap now there is no reason to write code. I use a program called CAMBAM which is working extremely well for me. I have been remiss in looking to see if it is available in Linux form. The CAMBAM code has the tool compensation in it already, so editing the code simply would not work. What I can do right now is leave the CAMBAM window open and tweak the tool diameter to size holes. I was looking for a CAM software that could run concurrent with the Linuxcnc to be apples to apples. I dont want to be editing raw code.

I went to the site and it is available in Linux. Once I get the memory module for the Dell Ill try it out.
Last edit: 11 May 2016 11:24 by LutzTD.

More
11 May 2016 16:18 #74517 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

Hi Jon, yeah I dont write the code. CAM solutions are so cheap now there is no reason to write code. I use a program called CAMBAM which is working extremely well for me. I have been remiss in looking to see if it is available in Linux form. The CAMBAM code has the tool compensation in it already, so editing the code simply would not work. What I can do right now is leave the CAMBAM window open and tweak the tool diameter to size holes. I was looking for a CAM software that could run concurrent with the Linuxcnc to be apples to apples. I dont want to be editing raw code.

Probably CAMBAM can be set to generate toolpaths without the radius offset built into the G-code. A gross way to do this would be to tell it the tool has zero diameter, but that is pretty awful. I know how to do this in Bobcad/CAM, but that might be a much more "hands on" g-code generator than CAMBAM. In the old days, before I was confident in what I was doing, I'd mount a ballpoint pen in the spindle and run the program with tool diameter set to zero, and it would draw the part outline on paper. Then, I would use one program to rough and finish. I'd set the tool table to show a larger diameter than it actually was, and it would do a roughing cut. Then, I could set the actual tool diameter and the same program would make the finishing cut.

Jon

More
11 May 2016 17:16 #74521 by LutzTD
I generally do one off parts, so I don't like to spend a lot of time with the programming. Certainly if it was a production type environment I would be more hands on to make the run robust, but for the type of thing I do the programming is a cost adder that doesn't get amortized. What been really nice about the CAMBAM, is now that its set up I dont even do dry runs, it just works (unless I mess up the 0, but that's a different story) I hope to get my memory module soon and I can try it out. Its holding me back from moving to a i/o card until I can commit one way or the other. I dont really think I want to centerline program as then I would need to manually add all of the offset directions and to be honest its been flawless up to now with the autogenerated cambam output

More
14 May 2016 14:10 #74647 by LutzTD
I got my memory module and installed linux. updated and installed preempt rt kernel.

whats next? Looks like I need to get the mesa card now to start linuxcnc from the "by interface mesa" menu?

More
14 May 2016 14:41 #74649 by andypugh
You could try configuring to run from the parallel port if you are still waiting for an interface card.

I have forgotten if you have previously tried to configure using the PNCConf wizard, but if not then that would be a sensible next step.

Actually, you don't mention if LinuxCNC is installed yet?

More
14 May 2016 15:33 #74652 by LutzTD
hi Andy,

I have the whole linux cnc package installed. But I dont have a parallel port in the dell. Im playing with installing the arduino now to try to communicate. I did the arduino package install but then found the nano pcba has a special usb cinnector so I dont have a cable for it.

More
15 May 2016 00:27 #74665 by LutzTD
today I loaded linuxcnc debian from this link www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso
updated the install and installed preempt-RT kernal from here

More
16 May 2016 12:21 - 16 May 2016 12:23 #74738 by LutzTD
I have the arduino software loaded on linux and have compiled and downloaded the toolerator3000 code to the arduino nano on the toolerator3000 pcba. I am going to try to power up the toolchanger this week, Ill have to mount some din rails on a board for now as I do not have a cabinet yet. At this point the only major component Im lacking (as far as I know :) ) is the vfd for the spindle drive motor. I ordered a MESA 7i76e saturday night so I assume I will have it midweek, then I can continue through the linuxcnc setup once I have the card coms working.
Last edit: 16 May 2016 12:23 by LutzTD.

More
16 May 2016 12:27 - 16 May 2016 12:29 #74739 by tome
Replied by tome on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

At this point the only major component Im lacking (as far as I know :) ) is the vfd for the spindle drive motor.

What spindle motor are you using? We ended up with a 3 HP Black Max Inverter Duty motor from Automation Direct. We also used an Automation Direct VFD...

-Tom
Last edit: 16 May 2016 12:29 by tome.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds