Brother TC-225 / TC-229 adventure!

More
05 Aug 2017 23:25 #97048 by andypugh
You are going to need a faster-responding spindle to make orient work.

Spindle accel rates are generally programmed in to the spindle drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2017 23:27 #97049 by ihavenofish
Ok acceleration is fast 6000rpm to minus 6000rpm in 200ms maybe.

It's the m5 that's just coasting. How do we make it hit the brakes?

More
05 Aug 2017 23:29 #97050 by ihavenofish

You are going to need a faster-responding spindle to make orient work.

Spindle accel rates are generally programmed in to the spindle drive.

It's an ad servo with 1024 line encoders. It's about as fast as it gets.

More
05 Aug 2017 23:34 #97051 by andypugh

Ok acceleration is fast 6000rpm to minus 6000rpm in 200ms maybe.

It's the m5 that's just coasting. How do we make it hit the brakes?

What happens if you command S1 before M5?

M5 turns off the "spindle-on" HAL pins (whichever you used) It may be that that makes the drive coast rather than brake.

More
05 Aug 2017 23:37 #97052 by andypugh

It's an ad servo with 1024 line encoders. It's about as fast as it gets.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SpindleOrient

Shows how to have a spindle closed-loop in both position mode and velocity mode.

More
05 Aug 2017 23:38 #97053 by ihavenofish
S1 them m5 is instant. Maybe that's an easy work around for now.

So we have a working spindle.... now on to orienting.

More
06 Aug 2017 01:34 #97055 by ihavenofish
thanks, that should do nicely.

so, I think, all the key functions of this machine are nailed down in terms of knowing what wire goes where, etc.

tomorrow I'm going to make up more permanent wiring for everything, and get all the atc inputs and outputs wired. I only had enough wiring today to run 1 axis at a time.

goal will be to by the end of the day, have xyz/s working as they should with their limits and homes and alarms and torque meters and thermal sensors all happy and be able to run a program.

then, if theres hours in the day left, try to make the atc work as its intended with the W axis trickery.

after that, its some extra io for coolant solenoid, air blast, door interlock, and uh, lights? they go through the io. why? I have no idea. I don't really have to do this I guess, I can just tie it to main power, or to a switch.

got a question on ballscrew compensation. with the drives powered though, I was able to measure that I have .0006" play in the x. either in the ball nut or the bearing block. its pretty lose play, I can push the table with my pinky and it moves. cuiriously, it moves back consistently as well, as if its sprung (maybe by a seal).

I also noticed that in the original control it has a screw map. many zones of +2 -4 settings, etc etc - which on that machine I believe are microns but I'm not fully sure on the unit. backlash compensation was oddly set to 0. I see that Linuxcnc has a screw calibration file, would this be similar? I'm going start by leaving It alone, but eventually I will want to get it mapped in to make things as precise as I can.

ive used backlash compensation in mach3, and turned it off cause I found it made things worse than with no compensation - it wasn't consistent. is the linuxcnc version of this any better? (I imagine the best route is to just repack the screw to try and remove backlash entirely)

More
07 Aug 2017 16:10 #97109 by ihavenofish
some progress, and a roadblock.

I mounted the computer and the mesa board into the control cabinet all professional like :)
started making up proper clean shrink wrapped cables.

go the y tuned, then tried the z...

disengaged the brake on machine start and we get a red light on the servo - an error of some kind. tried combinations of no brake, yes brake, using the cable from the X (which we know works). always error. of course the motor does not move.

swapped back to the brother control and all drives error. restarted and error gone, all drives fine.

so at this point, I'm just a little confused. I don't see any wiring mistakes or config mistakes that would make the z error. things I still need to check

- rechecking all wiring - it was midnight when I did this and I was sleepy :P
- reversing the enable - maybe the z is backwards?
- checking to see is the brake signal is somehow tied to the drive - doesn't seem to be

anyone have any other thoughts as to why the z may be different from the x y and spindle?

thanks

More
07 Aug 2017 16:39 #97110 by ihavenofish
heres a video that describes the tool change flow of the new brothers. something to strive for - minus the 2200ipm rapids and 2G acceleration - we only hand 787/590 on this machine. the other one (tc229) which well get to later ha 1470ipm and 1G rapids though.

More
07 Aug 2017 17:02 #97112 by andypugh

I also noticed that in the original control it has a screw map. many zones of +2 -4 settings, etc etc - which on that machine I believe are microns but I'm not fully sure on the unit. backlash compensation was oddly set to 0. I see that Linuxcnc has a screw calibration file, would this be similar?

Yes, very similar. The numbers are absolute axis position, and actual position on either side of the backlash. So it corrects the screw and attempts to control backlash at the same time.
See COMP_FILE and COMP_FILE_TYPE linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co...s__lt_num_gt_section

ive used backlash compensation in mach3, and turned it off cause I found it made things worse than with no compensation - it wasn't consistent. is the linuxcnc version of this any better?

It probably isn't. The problem is that the controller only knows which direction the axis is moving, not which direction the cutting force is acting, or if that cutting force is enough to move the table.

It works better on lathes, where cutting force direction is much more consistent.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds