Is the Ecoca EL4610e a good candidate for a retrofit?

More
29 Jun 2019 23:52 - 29 Jun 2019 23:53 #138214 by rodw
Hi, guys, I've seen this machine with a broken Mitsubishi controller for a good price.
I was thinking it might make pretty good retrofit project

The listing says it has a 75mm spindle and D1-8 chuck

It would be nice to know if I could reuse the servos with LinucCNC. I have no idea what they would be.
Any background on Ecoca's would be appreciated.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2019 23:53 by rodw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2019 06:33 #138225 by pl7i92
there is a er version that got a 4 ATC

this is mainly used for standard toolholder

the price is ok (if all is working) but it is alot of work with all this mechanikel elektronics veyy old relay type
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
30 Jun 2019 14:01 #138239 by tommylight
From my very limited experience with Mitsubishi controlls, they tend to use the usual +-10V analogue inputs and usual incremental encoders.
That is all not confirmed, some due diligence is in order.
Do you have access to the machine or any way of geting pictures of the insides, motors, encoders etc and does it use hydraulics for toolchanger, chuck and other moving parts or motors with drives?
Is the price any good to warrant the time and finances put into it ?
What is the diference in price between the new one and this one retrofited.
Do you have any viable idea what could you do with it to recoup the investment and at what time period.
These and more are the things i think about AFTER i bought the machine, not before, so not very smart. When i got the Mazak the only things i considered were: a new one with such capabilities is over 200000, this one was 3200 plus some other things and it is in full working condition, but useless to me as i have to retrofit it, soon.
The main idea is, for the price o got it i do not care if i use it or not, it was to cheap to let it go.

More
30 Jun 2019 19:54 #138249 by rodw
Tommy, thanks, the machine is 1600km away so I have to factor in some shipping and it will be sight unseen.The machines are still on the market today.
They are asking about $4k. There is a listing of the same brand, similar vintage of the next size up in working condition for $22k. At a guess, new its worth around $60k minimum. It has a manual chuck and manual tool post. So its not in the same class as your Mazak but hopefully, that would make the retrofit easier for my first one.

I kind of figured if I allowed $10k for the machine and retrofit which hopefully includes a toolchanger of some kind, I'd double my money if I could find the time to fix it and then sold it.

As for what I'd do with it, I had not even considered that. Maybe I'll just look at it like you do to yours!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 Jul 2019 15:48 #138304 by tecno
A bit high considering the long haul home if you ask me.

More
01 Jul 2019 22:39 #138336 by tommylight

As for what I'd do with it, I had not even considered that. Maybe I'll just look at it like you do to yours!

That is how you end up having no space in the workshop !!! :)

More
01 Jul 2019 22:46 #138339 by rodw

That is how you end up having no space in the workshop !!! :)

Yes, exactly my thoughts. It could easily become a space consuming 1.8 tonne boat anchor.... particularly given my track record with the spaceship plasma. Now thats been a fast build! (I think I started in 2015!)

More
01 Jul 2019 23:39 #138353 by tommylight
Well I do own a fully functional 3.5 ton boat anchor, but avoiding the retrofit due to imminent move, but it looks like that will be postponed also! Damn I hate waiting! Still very happy with the boat anchor, and my brothers daughters play with the rotary encoder when they visit , the younger one (9 months old ) gets scared when she spins it fast from the noise it makes, but she does it again and again.

More
02 Jul 2019 13:04 #138394 by pl7i92
the image above post 1 showes a manuell toolchange
the E version does not have or is ready to use a ATC at all
there are even no frame holes as it is a entirer mashine change from E to ER

this mashine has more manuell controls then the cnc stuff as it is also only a Blockmode Control

More
02 Jul 2019 22:47 #138449 by andypugh
I like it. It is similar to how I configured my Holbrook, with manual wheels on the saddle like a conventional lathe.

You are probably not making hundreds of repeat items, so I think that it could work well for you, with a good repeatable manual toolpost.

Is there a chuck included? D1-8 is a good size, but not a cheap one.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds