Is the Ecoca EL4610e a good candidate for a retrofit?

More
02 Jul 2019 23:05 #138456 by tommylight
Oh yes, chuck, I still did not get mine, hard to find used in good condition and to damn expensive. Used in good condition 2300 euro, new 7900 euro. Dang, that is gonna hurt. Ordered one in unknown condition at 800 euro to see if it is usable.
Yes, chuck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2020 06:21 #191643 by MulBe039
Not sure if this thread is still relevant, stumbled across this while researching how to upgrade the operating system on the pc on my machine. But I happen to have the complete electrical schematics for this machine with a mitsubishi meldas magic64 controller. If anyone is interested, I can scan them

I
The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh, tommylight

More
11 Dec 2020 11:59 - 30 Dec 2020 19:05 #191659 by tommylight
I am sure i have a Mitsubishi Meldas controller on a Mazak lathe, not sure of the type though, it would be nice to have a look if there are similarities there, would save me a lot of time.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2020 19:05 by tommylight. Reason: typpo
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
30 Dec 2020 18:49 #193575 by MulBe039
Hello everyone, sorry that I sort of teased this and then took so long to get back. Due to the shelter in place order where I live, I didn't have acces to the documents for a while. They are with me now. It is an approx. 100 page booklet of components and schematics.

Looking at possibilities to upgrade the OS on my controller, examining the electronics in the old workstation and contacting Ecoca & Mitsubishi has made it painfully obvious to me that this machine is a ticking time bomb. It is only a matter of time until I will probably also need to retrofit this machine as no spares are available anymore, and no one even has the drivers for these cards anymore.

Now I know very little about LinuxCNC and linux in general, but I have built a 3D-Printer or two in my life. I know programming basics and enough about electronics to pull of the physical wiring of such a conversion.

However, I am not terribly well versed in the black arts of deciphreing and reverse engineering communication protocols.

Since my machine is still working i probalby still have a bit of time, but I would like to figure out how to upgrade this thing rather sooner than later and start saving for the probably huge amount of money that will be needed for such a project.

In my naive dreams, I somehow hope tthat there is some kind of way to simply hook up a mesa card + daughterboards to the existing drives etc. but after briefly skimming trough the manuals of the servo drives llisted in the electronics manual, I have a sneaking suspicion that these drives run on proprietary mitsubishi protocols and that I will have to buy new ones. The voltage ratings on the ac servos somehow also make very little sense to me, so worst case scenario new motors + new drives if I can't figure this out.

So if anyone has any insight into how to go about a conversion on this machine or if it is even a viable idea, any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am also not sure about forum etiquette around here:

should I simply upload the scan of the schematics or upload it on a separate platform given that it will probably be a pretty big file with ~100ish scans? Is there are preferred platform around here? Preferred file formats?

Also, looking for more information about an actual conversion seems to still be within the topic of this thread, but should I perhaps start a new thread on this or continue to post my own insights here?

In the end, this thread is one of the first results that shows up on google is you search for the make of this machine, so anyone looking for the information will probably land here anyways, but I know every forum has sort of their own practices when it comes to this.

Hope you are all having a Happy new Year

salutations,

MuBe039

More
30 Dec 2020 19:06 #193579 by tommylight
google drive for file uploads is OK and can do big files.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MulBe039

More
30 Dec 2020 20:02 #193580 by rodw
If the Mitsubishi SSCNET becomes a stumbling block, there are Linuxcnc compatible drivers here. Very cool
yurtaev.com/

More
30 Dec 2020 20:07 #193582 by MulBe039
Okay perfect, here is the document:

drive.google.com/file/d/1zGPxt_nuCIpSUkL...z9B/view?usp=sharing

As mentioned before, any and all insights pertaining to a conversion of this machine are greatly appreciated
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Dec 2020 23:59 #193596 by MulBe039
Very interesting, I will definitely have to get one of these.

Out of curiosity: did you end up buying and/or converting that lathe? Any pointers from someone who has already gone trough any part of the journey that I am probably about to embark on will certainly be useful.

I also have some more documentation on this lathe (mechanical drawings, parts lists etc. ) should you need it

More
31 Dec 2020 02:56 #193602 by dm17ry
we talked with MulBe039 in email...
the machine has the MELDASMAGIC 64 control which runs on a windows PC with a ISA/PCI interface card. the manual lists
Spindle: MDS-A-SPJ2-75 / SJ-PF7.5-01
X-Axis: MDS-A-SVJ2-03 / HA33NT-A33
Z-Axis: MDS-A-SVJ2-06 / HA40NT-A33
drives and motors (though i suspect a typo and it should read MDS-B-...). those have SSCNET'ish serial interface like all other MDS-A/B/C series drives. -A33 are OSA253 25kcpr absolute encoders. so interfacing servos/spindle to the linuxcnc shouldn't be a problem. the machine seems to have a gearbox spindle and though the spindle drive mostly handles it transparently for the controller, i will probably need to add a few HAL pins to the driver for gear selection. and porting/re-implementing the ladder will require some effort... but all should be doable

More
31 Dec 2020 03:15 #193603 by rodw

Very interesting,
Out of curiosity: did you end up buying and/or converting that lathe? /quote]

Sorry no. It was too far away..

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds