Another Biesse Rover 322

More
20 Jan 2022 23:57 #232581 by ehb
Replied by ehb on topic Another Biesse Rover 322
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately this hasn't changed the output of halcmd show (did a diff). LEDs remain red.
Also, when adding sserial_port_1 to config, it says it only takes 4 arguments at most? So this isn't it either :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2022 00:42 #232585 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Another Biesse Rover 322
loadrt hm2_eth board_ip=192.168.1.121 config="num_stepgens=0, num_encoders=4, num_pwmgens=5, sserial_port_0=000000, sserial_port_1=000000"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehb

More
21 Jan 2022 08:59 #232610 by ehb
That's exactly the line I ran:
cnc@biesse:~/linuxcnc/configs/testing$ halcmd -f hm2.hal > haloutput5.txt
Note: Using POSIX realtime
config=num_stepgens=0, num_encoders=4, num_pwmgens=5, sserial_port_0=000000, sserial_port_1=000000: can only take 4 arguments
hm2.hal:2: waitpid failed /usr/bin/rtapi_app hm2_eth
hm2.hal:2: /usr/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
hm2.hal:2: insmod for hm2_eth failed, returned -1
cnc@biesse:~/linuxcnc/configs/testing$

I noticed mesaflash --readhmid still returns "HOSTMOT2" as configuration name despite having flashed "7i94ss_7i77d.bit", but I guess that's normal?

Also I ran into a post by PCW that there are no pwmgens with 7i94? Not going to lie, I'm a bit confused right now.

So I ran this HAL:
loadrt hostmot2
loadrt hm2_eth board_ip=192.168.1.121 config="num_stepgens=0 num_encoders=4 sserial_port_0=000000"
# 7i94: Activate expansion port for 7i77
setp hm2_7i94.0.gpio.041.is_output true
setp hm2_7i94.0.gpio.041.out false
show
with sserial_port_0=000000 again, but removed the serial plugs to unclutter things. So this is 7i94+7i77 only. Output attached.

Greatly appreciate any help!
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2022 09:59 - 21 Jan 2022 12:07 #232622 by ehb

Also I ran into a post by PCW that there are no pwmgens with 7i94? Not going to lie, I'm a bit confused right now.

I figured that one out. When trying to use pncconf with a 7i92+7i77 setup, the 7i77 wasn't showing because my locale was set to german. Setting LANG=C (possibly LC_ALL=C too) fixed the problem and now I can configure pwmgen pins in pncconf.

Still the 7i77 isn't showing in halcmd. I suspect it's not getting power from the 7i94?
Last edit: 21 Jan 2022 12:07 by ehb.

More
21 Jan 2022 10:14 #232623 by ehb
This is awkward.
Of course I left the W3 jumper on 7i94 in default position, so of course there was no power to 7i77. All is well now and it shows up fine in halcmd.

I'm sorry and embarrassed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Jan 2022 18:18 #232666 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Another Biesse Rover 322
config=num_stepgens=0, num_encoders=4, num_pwmgens=5, sserial_port_0=000000, sserial_port_1=000000: can only take 4 arguments

This is because you were missing the quotes around the config string
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, ehb

More
02 Feb 2022 09:14 #233782 by ehb
So I think I've finished listing all the I/Os of the machine and made a setup table (attached zipped ods-file for LibreOffice Calc). Especially the third table ("Mesa") in the document is of interest, as it lists connections of all Mesa in- and outputs. Red text is either still unclear or gets new wires.

The labels on the solenoid valves were gone so I had to trace cables and re-label them. Could've done without, probably, but I know it would've bitten me in the long run. :-)

Some cat6 patch cables should arrive today, also some mesa card mounting plates a friend of mine milled for me (on a 2012 self-made gantry mill, of course running LinuxCNC). Cable lengths are 2x 15m from cabinet to top of machine, 1x 10 m to the left and 1x 15 m to the right. Might have to shorten the latter two.

Questions to bevins or other Biesse retrofitters:
- On top of the Y-axis, there are two inputs called "Limit switch SX" and "Limit switch DX", in addition to the home switches (which go directly to the cabinet) and the limit switches which go to the drives. What are those two inputs for?
- In an earlier post you mentioned there's a pin on the drive connector which should be grounded to get them enabled. As far as I can tell, the machine has this relay K125 which enables all drives?
- According to the schematic, "axis OK" (or drive-ready or however you want to call it) goes from pin 27 (-) on a drive to a cabinet input module. Did you change this to pin 28 (+) for the sinking inputs of a 7i77?
- It'd be great to get some sample configurations of other Biesses, especially 322, for getting a hang of M6 remap etc. I'm sure Masiwood123 would be really interested too. :-) (according to this post on his Biesse 316 retrofit )

Hopefully I'll have all the stuff ready to mount the new cards, it's getting interesting. :-)
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2022 12:44 #233793 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Another Biesse Rover 322
The two switches are probably the two limit switches for that axis and they should be going directly to the drive. Thats kind of weired because your drawings show them labled different.

The Yaskawa drives need a gnd to enable, which is coming from your K125 relay, which actually sends the gnd through it directly to the drive. If you want to interface inputs on the drive with your 7i77 you would probably need a relay. To enable the drives you just need to energioze the K125 relay which that input should have been coming from the controller you removed.

If you want to bring the drive ok into Linuxcnc, then energize a relay and take the inputs into the 7i77. Thats the way I did it.
Not sure what module the drive ok is going to. Can you see it in the schematics?

You can look at my remap stuff but it is in pythonn though. Not sure if that is the best route for you.  You would probably want to do it in NGC remap.

Just my 2 cents

More
02 Feb 2022 14:54 #233800 by ehb
Hey Bob, great to hear from you!

I might have found out what those limit switches are! They're extra limit switches when using the left and right areas of the machine separately. Milling on one side, placing parts on the other side. So that's something I'm not going to need. :-) They were going to module1 on top of the machine.

Alright, so K125 can stay and should activate all axis by grounding. That's good and easy.

All "Axis OK" originally go to module 7 in the cabinet which is a SIR88. I was under the impression all these modules had sinking inputs, but the ones in the cabinet might be different. I'll look into this a bit more. As you said, a guy can always put a relay in between. Thanks!

And sure I'd like to see your python stuff. If I decide to go the proper route, I'll still be able to deduct some logic from your code, hopefully. :-)

Thanks as always!

More
02 Feb 2022 15:01 #233802 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Another Biesse Rover 322

Hey Bob, great to hear from you!

I might have found out what those limit switches are! They're extra limit switches when using the left and right areas of the machine separately. Milling on one side, placing parts on the other side. So that's something I'm not going to need. :-) They were going to module1 on top of the machine.

Alright, so K125 can stay and should activate all axis by grounding. That's good and easy.

All "Axis OK" originally go to module 7 in the cabinet which is a SIR88. I was under the impression all these modules had sinking inputs, but the ones in the cabinet might be different. I'll look into this a bit more. As you said, a guy can always put a relay in between. Thanks!

And sure I'd like to see your python stuff. If I decide to go the proper route, I'll still be able to deduct some logic from your code, hopefully. :-)

Thanks as always!

SIR88 is the rs485 relay inut modules?

I am prtetty sure they use 24v for their field power and if you use the 3 phase rectifier for your field voltage, you can use the inputs straight off the module, but you would need to check. I will look at the schematics. But Biesse usually does it that way.

So just energize the K125 relay to enable the drives.

My code is on github.     Rover 346 remap and config

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds