15m Industrial Plasma Cutter

More
06 Aug 2019 08:46 - 06 Aug 2019 08:46 #141492 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 15m Industrial Plasma Cutter
Its so long since I've done this but I have a clean install of 2.7 on a PC here from the stretch OSO. I might try and do it through synaptic and report back. I've been meaning to do it anyway.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2019 08:46 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2019 08:53 #141494 by tommylight

More
06 Aug 2019 09:27 #141502 by Jarman
Replied by Jarman on topic 15m Industrial Plasma Cutter
Actually,

I'm still booting from a USB, having not properly installed Linux yet (I'm inexperienced and didn't want to break anything), but now I am thinking that I can't install 2.9 until I properly install the OS.

More
06 Aug 2019 10:08 #141504 by tommylight
You can use that all the way to the finished machine, then it would be better to use 2.8 or 2.9 due to separate homing for the same axis as that provides squaring of the gantry at every homming sequence.

More
06 Aug 2019 10:58 #141510 by Jarman
I did a full install and tried again, ran into the same problem with "Package "linuxcnc" has no installation candidate"

I'll see if I can find anything on it.

More
06 Aug 2019 12:33 #141519 by Jarman
Update:

I had better luck using synaptic.

I believe that the master version has successfully installed. The window calls itself "AXIS 2.9.0-pre0-373-gb..."

There do seem to be less options in the configuration selector when the program starts up, also every time I close the program and restart I get a message saying "LinuxCNC terminated with an error".

More
06 Aug 2019 12:54 #141522 by tommylight
That is nice !
When you open Linuxcnc at the config chooser choose sim then by machine and PlasmaC.
That is a simulation of a full machine with everything included so you can play with voltage and see the torch/tool go up and down on screen.
And that error is new but you can ignore it for now.

More
06 Aug 2019 15:25 #141532 by Jarman
Well Tommy you were right, the tool does go up and down. Specifically, it goes right down to the bottom then shoots back up to the top. The program then stops and prints the error "bottom limit reached while probing down. program is paused".

I checked the manual and the error corresponds to: "The Z axis reached the bottom limit before the workpiece was detected."

I've been trying to run a cutting simulation (like the LINUXCNC logo one which I got working), using the examples in the plasma folder (for example "metric_circles.ngc"). It seems like it's not seeing the workpiece. The probe moves to the x and y coordinates of the line to be cut then descends through and past the line to the bottom of the box.

I have messed with the z offset and the probe height.

Interestingly, after doing this the manual "Probe Test" button stops before the bottom (based on probe height), however when I run the program, the tool probes and hits the bottom.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Aug 2019 17:13 #141535 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 15m Industrial Plasma Cutter
Are you just playing with a simulator or is this wired up to your machine?

Can you move the Z axis to the top of travel and do a touchoff at that height? eg if your Z axis has 95mm of travel, touch off the Z axis at 95mm. That will place Z0 at the bottom of travel where Plasmac expects it. Do not touch off the Z again. The value should be saved between sessions. I had troubles sorting this out too.

Now make sure your probe height is set above the material height.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Jarman

More
06 Aug 2019 17:18 #141537 by tommylight
@Rod
He is using a simulator to get used to it.
@Jarman
There is a small window that stays on top of Linuxcnc, there are all the buttons for probe or float or ohmic simulation, the voltage adjustments also, use that to triger whatever you need to.
To recap, run, click on the float button and play with the voltage, watch the torch go up and down while moving/cutting.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds