15m Industrial Plasma Cutter

More
22 Aug 2019 23:43 #142901 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 15m Industrial Plasma Cutter

my simulation now runs as it used to.

Haven''t you built that machine yet? Its only a tiny one, I thought you'd be able to knock it over in an afternoon ....................... ? :)

HaHa, I thought the same with mine.

Clearly your design was not big enough!

PS. I hope Jarman has a sense of humor hanging out round here!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Jarman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2019 07:39 - 23 Aug 2019 07:40 #142926 by Jarman
Replied by Jarman on topic 15m Industrial Plasma Cutter
Phill's question:

I just opened a new sim in LInuxcnc (as in: sample configurations - by machine - plasmac - axis - metric) and allowed them to save as a configuration in "my configurations". Then I edited that configuration.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2019 07:40 by Jarman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
23 Aug 2019 07:48 #142927 by Jarman

my simulation now runs as it used to.

Haven''t you built that machine yet? Its only a tiny one, I thought you'd be able to knock it over in an afternoon ....................... ? :)

HaHa, I thought the same with mine.

Clearly your design was not big enough!

PS. I hope Jarman has a sense of humor hanging out round here!

I'll be laughing all the way to the bank when I get this damn thing built!

I also thought I could bash something out in a week. I think my boss did too. He was talking about writing some code on a raspberry pi like microcontroller to handle a 2 axis cutter, but from what research I did, I didn't think that would be a very effective way of doing it. Especially with the cost coming from the motors and plasma etc. Might as well do a proper job.

I'm looking into the z axis now. Going to have a look at the pre-built stages you mentioned earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
23 Aug 2019 08:45 - 23 Aug 2019 08:47 #142928 by rodw
If you ask Stefan thefabricator03, he might be able to share with you a complete Canadian made Plasma Z axis. It wasn't cheap but it was complete! If they ship to AU I'm sure they'll ship to the UK.

There are others but I thought this one was interesting
www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Robotic-a...5.137.5da84839CLMxL5
Last edit: 23 Aug 2019 08:47 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarman

More
23 Aug 2019 09:30 #142931 by Jarman
So if anyone is interested, my plan is as follows:

Design the z axis, use this to design the x axis, use this to design the y axis, use this to design the downdraft table. Do some CAD/tuned vibration absorbers/ finite element analysis/bolt weld calculations on the frame. Throw together a feasibility report. Start building in the same order as design ie. z-x-y so that I can adjust the design if(when) I need to. Get the software working. Throw together a design report and manual for the people who will be using the machine day to day.

...All in 5 weeks :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
23 Aug 2019 10:30 #142935 by rodw
Sounds good. When you get a bit further through your design, let me know how many downdraft zones you need and I might be able to knock up a component for you that does something like this. your table is only 12 times longer than mine.... with zones 600 mm wide, you only need 25 zones....

More
23 Aug 2019 14:46 #142964 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic 15m Industrial Plasma Cutter
there are lots of good cheep costructions online
let me upload mine Monster
sorry it is 15MB
its very cheep it uses TR20x4 spindles no mashining needed they fit the Block bearings UCP
ok the speed is limited to less then 3m/min
but on total mashine cost of 1600euros for 2x1m its ok
including s-Cutt 50 and watertable Tb6600 Bob5A 24V 2Nm

Attachments:

More
23 Aug 2019 14:54 #142968 by Jarman
Looking into motors, I have heard that servos are better for this kind of size but am not really sure why, are they much harder to rig up than steppers?

Should the Z axis be steppers regardless of X and Y?

Also, assuming servos are being used, am I right in thinking that I can get away with: 7i77, 7i92 and THCAD - 10. Could these interface with steppers as well if steppers are used for the Z axis? I'm thinking the 7i92 could?

Is there anything else I would need (control panel kind of stuff) other than the motor drives? Any interface for controlling the torch? (current?)

More
23 Aug 2019 15:17 #142972 by Jarman
Do I need anything when it comes to sensing?

I saw that Rod said he used ohmic sensing on another thread.

More
23 Aug 2019 16:52 #142979 by tommylight
Ohmic sensing would be better for you but you still need a floating head with a floating switch in case the shield is dirty and does not make proper contact. To make one have a look at how Rod or TheFabricator and some others did it, there is plenty info on this forum.
My advice on motors, use steppers. It is your first machine so try to avoid complicated stuff as much as you can, you can replace them later if you see the need for it. You can also use servo motors with step/dir control as that would not complicate things more than normal steppers, but if you are willing to go the distance the 7i77 with analog controlled servos would be best and more complicated to setup/ tune and isolate properly from interferences.
And it is not a requirement to have a stepper on Z axis anymore, that was only for the toma_thc config before i also added support for servos on all axis and THCAD.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds