7i77 testers wanted

More
29 May 2012 18:27 #20488 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
I'll also look into adding a "spinabs" parameter on 7I77 axis 5 analogout
(though this will take a 7I77 firmware upgrade)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2012 22:33 #20498 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
excuse me if i missed it but posting your complete config files would be helpful.
also what version of linuxcnc are you using and how did you get it? ( buildbot 2.5 has fixes in it that are not released yet)

some answers to some questions.
Why does pncconf not use the regular analog enables ?
- actually it does, it is just not on the config page because you cannot config it for anything but enable.

pncconf should work fine for the 7i77 and 7i76 without having to hand edit for for fairly standard machines.
if you do have to hand edit it should be possible to put it all in a custom hal file to keep it separate from pncconf changes.
the 7i77 and 7i76 cards are new and I have not up to recently had any cards to test on so there are still bugs - I will work on the soon ( I'm away at work)

having pncconf inquire pin names from the card automatically is actually not that helpful unless that info comes with context.
and it makes it so building a config without the card present is not possible ( maybe not such a big deal except when developing )

pncconf does have help pages have you read them?
The 7i77 and 7i76 are new and could use some specific info on them.
They do things quite differently them regular hostmot2 and all the docs on the web show the regular way of doing things.
This is where pncconf will help bridge the gap ( when i fix most of the bugs)

Chris M

More
30 May 2012 00:18 #20501 by maxvdh
Replied by maxvdh on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
Hi Chris,
We covered a lot of ground in the last few pages. I think I have it mostly sorted out now. The only real PNCConf issue I had was that when I assigned pins to be X amplifier enable, Y amplifier enable and Z amplifier enable the HAL file it generated called those pins xenable, yenable and zenable but later referenced them as x-enable y-enable and z-enable, which left them disconnected from the LinuxCNC functions. I fixed that manually. The other thing I will have to change is to make the spindle PWM output absolute since my VFD won't respond to negative voltages.

I'll post my HAL file when I get home. I'm still trying to figure out the MPG thing but I think the problem is that I have no means of telling LinuxCNC I want it to use the MPG input to direct motion.

More
30 May 2012 05:40 #20502 by maxvdh
Attached are my HAL and INI files, linear axes still untuned. I didn't have much time tonight but I'm going to continue reading up on HAL commands/syntax so i really understand what I'm doing when I put in those lines to switch the PWM output to an absolute value. At the moment I don't fully understand signals, pins, nets, =>...

File Attachment:

File Name: maxvdh_lin...1aac7.gz
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
30 May 2012 12:03 #20504 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
maxvdh wrote:

AAt the moment I don't fully understand signals, pins, nets,

"Pins" are how values are transferred between HAL components.
"Signals" are the names you give to those values. All pins associated with a signal will have the same value.
The "net" command connects signals and pins. The first word after the net command is the signal name. Then there is a list of zero or more pins.
Only one "output" pin is allowed to be associated with any signal.

Two important things to remember are that the signal names have no meaning at all to LinuxCNC. It doesn't go looking for signals, you need toconnect them. Also, the <= <=> => symbols you see mean nothing at all to LinuxCNC, those are just there to make things clearer to you.

More
30 May 2012 15:26 #20511 by maxvdh
Thanks, some of that I've been reading but that's a quick synopsis.

By "output" pins do you mean physical output pins on the 7i77, 5i25, or parport? Or are there also HAL pins that are considered outputs? Why is it limited to one output pin? For instance, I have two physical relays that should be driven by the same "machine is on" signal in linuxCNC - why wouldn't it allow that?

More
30 May 2012 17:07 #20512 by PCW
Well its a little confusing...
a physical output pin is a HAL input pin
so you can drive as many physical output pins
as you like with one signal/ HAL pin

conversely a physical input pin is a HAL output pin

I tend to visuallize connections as wires with arrows
so from input terminal --> HAL pin its clear that the HAL pin is an output (data source)
and from HAL pin --> output terminal its clear that the HAL pin is an input (data sink)

More
31 May 2012 01:10 #20516 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
maxvdh wrote:

By "output" pins do you mean physical output pins on the 7i77, 5i25, or parport?

No, and that is something that I should have made more clear as it is a common area for confusion.
A HAL "output" pin is one which writes values to other pins. Inside any net there can only be one pin which sets the value (otherwise, who wins?)
Inside HAL physical outputs are "input" pins, as they can be written to.
a typical output pin would be motion.spindle-speed-out, which mirrors the value set by the S-word in G-code and can be used to set a PWM duty cycle or similar.

More
31 May 2012 04:41 - 31 May 2012 04:45 #20519 by maxvdh
Thanks for the explanations. It took me a few minutes to get my head around that but I think it makes sense. Part of the difficulty is that there are pins like hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-00 which would be considered HAL input pins, right?

I must understand it to some extent because I was able to successfully do the absolute value operation on the motion.spindle-speed-out and feed that to the PWM output and now my spindle runs in either direction as commanded.

Now to tackle the MPG. I'll update with questions.

UNRELATED TO PNCConf - why does HAL scope disappear forever when I try to assign a pin to one of its inputs now? This is a new "feature"
Last edit: 31 May 2012 04:45 by maxvdh.

More
31 May 2012 05:18 #20520 by PCW
Thanks for the explanations. It took me a few minutes to get my head around that but I think it makes sense. Part of the difficulty is that there are pins like hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-00 which would be considered HAL input pins, right?

Yes the HAL pin name of physical I/O devices match the external signal direction
Think of it as a pipe: the HAL end of the pipe is the input and the physical terminal is the output
 IN >-->|                      |>--> OUT
            -------------------

excuse my bad ASCII art but note that a physical input pin (IN) looks like an out (source) to HAL
and a physical output pin (OUT) looks like an input (sink) to HAL

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds