7i77 testers wanted

More
11 May 2012 00:27 #19990 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
You will get a following error if the motor and encoder are not connected/working corectly or the PID is not tuned etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2012 00:40 #19991 by ishman
Replied by ishman on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
cmorley wrote:

You will get a following error if the motor and encoder are not connected/working corectly or the PID is not tuned etc.

I was assuming the same. I will try to hook this configuration tomorrow. Thanks.

More
11 May 2012 13:35 #20004 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
The Smart Serial devices (like the 7i77, and the various things you can plug into it) are a bit awkward to write pre-configured configs for.

I am afraid that you are going to have to get a bit familiar with the HAL command-line interface.

As a start, with Linuxcnc not running, open a terminal window and type

halrun

You will see the command prompt change, showing that you are in halcmd, not in the shell.

loadrt hostmot2

This will load the base Mesa card driver

loadrt hm2_pci

This will load the driver for PCI cards, like the 5i25, query its capabilities and (by default) enable every function on the card, and on the attached sub-cards.

show pin

will give you a list of all the HAL pins that you can use which are related to the card. This is a much smaller list than you will see when LinuxCNC is running, as it is only the Mesa hardware pins.

show param

Will list all the parameters.

You can even start the card up, and make things happen, if you want.

loadrt threads
addf hm2_5i25.0.read thread1
addf hm2_5i25.0.write thread1
addf hm2_5i25.0.pet-watchdog thread1

start

Actually, I am not sure if it is pet_watchdog or pet-watchdog. You can find out with

show funct

Then you can toggle individual output bits with, for example

setp hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.digitalout-00 1
setp hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.digitalout-00 0

Again, I am guessing the actual pin names, but you made a list earlier, didn't you?

Documentation: linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man1/halrun.1.html

More
11 May 2012 14:03 #20010 by ishman
I am stunned with such a detailed reply from you andypugh! Thanks.

Again, I am guessing the actual pin names, but you made a list earlier, didn't you?

I have already wired everything according to the configuration I made with pncconf and files supplied for testing here. Let's see tomorrow what's going to happen ? And I appreciate that I got the programming idea from you as well. So it may take some more time if it doesn't work tomorrow. But it should work I think.

Just one thing is confusing with the hal files created with the pncconf that at loadrt config section there is num_encoders=4 num_pwmgens=0 while I commanded to make configuration for 4 pwm. Is it usual ?

More
12 May 2012 07:35 #20027 by ishman
Tried to run with machine attached. But same problem "joint 2 following error"

More
12 May 2012 14:55 #20034 by ishman
Maybe it's my wiring mistake because I couldn't manage to lit the servo enable light with my wiring during openloop test or with LinuxCNC. Further I burnt one of my drive's circuit because I tried to gave drives internal servo enable power during test. I thought it might help. I don't know where was the problem. But servo was not enabled through 7i77 I am sure.

More
12 May 2012 15:24 #20036 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:7i77 testers wanted
Its probably best to verify the enable circuit with a mechnical switch first
Most drive enables just require a switch closure to activate
The 7I77 enable output is just a switch (though a polarized switch),
on for enabled and off for disabled.

More
12 May 2012 15:49 #20037 by cmorley
ishman

It seems to me (from reading all your posts) that you are kinda in a hurry and are jumping around with different techniques for getting this going.
First my recommendation is for now to pick one way to make the configuration either pncconf or Petere's prebuilt sample.
Either one is fine just pick one. then as the errors or troubles come up announce them to us and we will try to help.

When describing an error or problem please try to give as much pertinent info as possible.
For instance tell of a following error is not much help. I now assume the motor didn't even try (important information!)
Telling that the openloop test didn't work and why would be helpful.

It is specifically for testing the output of servo drives and input of encoders.
For a servo with feedback (the encoder) it's important to check that the output and the feedback agree on direction of the axis.

If you have a multimeter use the openloop test to check the output of the analog pins without a drive connected.
does the pin output at all? Is the scaling right?
turn the encoder by hand - does it register properly? is it scaled properly? does the numbers change even when the encoder isn't moved?
after that then you could connect the drive and then check the directions match properly.

If the openloop test doesn't work (assuming i haven't made any errors in pncconf) then its not going to work anywhere else either!

and don't forget that even after all that - you must tune the PID loop a mistuned PID loop will give you a following error!
When it goes time to tune the PID - It's suggested that one open up the following error limits - pncconf sets them fairly tight.

Oh and read the manual if you haven't - most of what i have just said is in the manual - look under the PNCConf section if you continue to want to use PNCconf. PNCconf also has help screens (only in English) that basically explains the pages.

Hope that helps.
Chris M

More
12 May 2012 16:48 #20040 by ishman
Thanks for information from both of you.

cmorley ! I will try again with pncconf. But this time I will be prepared. My machine will run as openloop till I get something out of it. Also I will take care of your notes.

More
12 May 2012 18:19 #20041 by cmorley
Ishman
Hopefully I didn't put you off from asking questions - We are here to help - we want you to succeed almost as much as you do !
PNConf is not well tested with the 5i25/7i77 as of yet so if an error shows up please speak up and I will try to fix ASAP.
Some of the help pages are missing a few details about specific 7i77 needs.
eg scaling of the analog output
I'm going to update it soon.

Chris M

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds