ATC with carousel.comp and M6 remap

More
30 Oct 2019 00:08 #149084 by andypugh

That would certainly be an option, however, when the carousel gets larger (chaindrive maybe?) it seems not very practical. Hence my simplified approach. Would that work with your component??

Bear in mind that binary and Gray code doubles for every sensor you add. 16 tools is 4 sensors + strobe, 64 tools is 6 sensors + strobe.

One LinuxCNC user has a machine with a large tool chain. In that case each tool has a mechanical bar code on the holder, and so the changer just moves until it sees the tool it wants.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 13:28 #149165 by GuiHue
Andy, thank you very much again. I did a bunch of reading this morning and I think I am getting closer to understanding stuff.
I hope to now understand the encoding mode index. I will make a mockup at home (easy enough to do).

As far as encoding=gray is concerned, a few questions remain:
-I understand that carousel takes care of reading the input of the sense pins; no messing about with mux15 or mux_generic required, correct?
-You wrote: "16 tools is 4 sensor + strobe". I understand the 4 sensors are for the pocket itself. When does strobe come into play? Is the strobe used to indicate where exactly the pickup position is (e.g. in the centre of the pocket, whereas the encoding covers a larger band) (see attached drawing)

-Say we do not have a carousel but rather a chain with pockets attached to brackets. At the back of each pocket, there is the encoding stuff for the four sensors (4 stripes in the drawing). As the pockets are mounted to the outside of a chain, they separated from each other. This means that there is no continuous strip for the encoder pins and hence there will be a signal "0" across all pins. Can this be dealt with by carousel? Or would this require dealing with the signal input through a mux and sending in the current pocket number using another encoding mode? If so, which?

As always, thanks a lot in advance.
Best regards
Guido
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2019 13:50 #149169 by andypugh

-You wrote: "16 tools is 4 sensor + strobe". I understand the 4 sensors are for the pocket itself. When does strobe come into play? Is the strobe used to indicate where exactly the pickup position is (e.g. in the centre of the pocket, whereas the encoding covers a larger band) (see attached drawing)

Yes, exactly that. It isn't 100% necessary on some machines (for example those with a Geneva motion)

-Say we do not have a carousel but rather a chain with pockets attached to brackets. At the back of each pocket, there is the encoding stuff for the four sensors (4 stripes in the drawing). As the pockets are mounted to the outside of a chain, they separated from each other. This means that there is no continuous strip for the encoder pins and hence there will be a signal "0" across all pins. Can this be dealt with by carousel?

I think that should be OK, and is one of the reasons to use the "strobe" as it is also used to indicate that the current binary / gray number is valid rather than in an intermediate state.

Sam's K&T has the bar-codes on the tools, it doesn't need to know which pocket each tool is in. But then it doesn't use carousel either.

More
30 Oct 2019 13:57 #149171 by GuiHue
Faster than lightning! Thank you so much.

Now onto planning how to actually build stuff. I was mostly set on a rack style, but I’ll guess I will reconsider another design in the long run. Can’t wait to give this a try.

I will try to remember to report on this:).

More
01 Nov 2019 13:40 #149358 by andypugh
Rack style is pretty easy, it doesn't need any fancy HAL, just a G-code sequence.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds