Installation EMC on kubuntu 9.4/9.10

More
21 Nov 2009 02:14 - 21 Nov 2009 02:14 #1164 by kfontaine
Rustam, I was just having you check to see if your kernel was indeed patched with RTAI. It looks like you do have an rtai patched kernel.

Here is one of the sources for information on getting an rtai patched kernel, compiling, and testing rtai. The last two steps outline compiling and testing rtai to ensure that things are working properly as far as rtai is concerned.

mozmck, is it possible you would be able to explain the steps you took to get everything working with the vanilla kernel? I have made quite a few steps, to include disabling the module versioning support. Nothing has seemed to help. From the looks of it, I am following the steps correctly, but I still end up with EMC2 not working.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2009 02:14 by kfontaine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2009 04:14 #1165 by mozmck
Rustam: a couple things to check. One, make sure you have lines like this in /etc/security/limits.conf

* soft memlock 20480
* hard memlock 20480

And make sure you have a file under /etc/udev/rules.d/ called 99-rtai.rules (the number on the front may not be 99 - it doesn't matter).
The contents of the file should look something like this:

# RTAI:rtai_shm
KERNEL=="rtai_shm", MODE="0666"

# RTAI:rtai_fifos
KERNEL=="rtf[0-9]*", MODE="0666"

If you don't have this file you can create it and put the text above in it. You will probably have to reboot after doing this or adding the lines to limits.conf above.

kfontaine: I have attached the config file I used for 2.6.29.4 vanilla. I have a dual-core AMD processor so that's what this config is set for, and I may have stripped out other stuff I didn't need on this computer. One setting you should check is make sure the c++ support in rtai is turned off, and I think it should be turned off in the kernel as well. I remember having some problems with that when I did that kernel, and I believe it was the rtai setting that made it not work. Other than that I think I pretty well followed the steps on the page about installing rtai on debian lenny. If this doesn't help let me know what error you are getting.

Moses

File Attachment:

File Name: config_2.txt
File Size:91 KB
Attachments:

More
21 Nov 2009 04:48 #1166 by kfontaine
mozmck, thanks for the config file and the information on the lines in /etc/security/limits.conf. I was actually missing those lines. I'll also be giving that config file a look over and probably recompile another kernel with it. I will be double checking for specific hardware stuff that is different on my machine, though.

More
24 Nov 2009 06:45 #1183 by Bari
Here's a HOWTO for building and installing EMC and RTAI on 9.04 or 9.10:

neo-technical.wikispaces.com/emc2-ubuntu

More
30 Nov 2009 02:45 #1217 by kfontaine
Bari wrote:

Here's a HOWTO for building and installing EMC and RTAI on 9.04 or 9.10:

neo-technical.wikispaces.com/emc2-ubuntu

Anyone given this a try yet? I got pretty frustrated with my previous attempts and had to take a break, but I think I'll give this guide a try. I know that I certainly can't do any worse than I have been. :P

More
30 Nov 2009 03:07 #1218 by Bari
We wrote it and it works for us. :)
If you have any problems drop Neo an email or ask in IRC #emc.

More
17 Feb 2010 14:07 #1945 by rogma
mozmck wrote:

For anyone running 9.10 I have made some experimental packages which are at www.linuxcnc.org/experimental/Karmic/
This should run on multi-core or single core processors, and is compiled for pentium pro or greater.

Moses

Hello,

I tried the experimental packages on 9.10 and I could install the kernel and rtai part, but I got a problem with the emc2 installation. I get a dependency problem, package "python2.6-xml" is missing. I have python2.6 installed and I have searched the Internet for "python2.6-xml" but failed.
Can someone give me a hint on where to find this package?

Janne

More
17 Feb 2010 15:57 #1947 by acemi
This command helps you to find the package name:

aptitude search python | grep xml

More
17 Feb 2010 20:56 #1949 by rogma
acemi wrote:

This command helps you to find the package name:

aptitude search python | grep xml

Thanks!

This is the output:

~$ aptitude search python | grep xml
p python-4suite-xml - An open-source platform for XML and RDF pr
p python-jaxml - Python module for generating XML documents
i python-libxml2 - Python bindings for the GNOME XML library
p python-libxml2-dbg - Python bindings for the GNOME XML library
i python-lxml - pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxs
p python-lxml-dbg - pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxs
p python-wbxml - WBXML parsing and encoding library -- Pyth
v python-xmlbase -
p python-xmltv - allows Python applications to access XMLTV
v python2.5-4suite-xml -
v python2.5-libxml2 -
v python2.5-lxml -
v python2.5-wbxml -
v python2.6-4suite-xml -
v python2.6-libxml2 -
v python2.6-lxml -
v python2.6-wbxml -

It seems to me that I don't have the correct repositories added which include package python2.6-xml or the package name in the error message is not the correct package name.

This is what I get from the package installer.
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: python2.6-xml

More
18 Feb 2010 04:36 #1953 by mozmck
Ah, I believe that is a package that went away in 9.10. Try downloading it from here and installing it: packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/python-xml

I think that's what I had to do to get it to work.

Moses

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds