Installation EMC on kubuntu 9.4/9.10

More
12 Mar 2010 03:30 #2282 by mozmck
The packages on buildmaster are still for 8.04. They are beta packages for emc2 2.4. Let me see if I can get my newest packages for ubuntu 9.10 finished up in the next few days and uploaded to experimental.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2010 04:56 - 12 Mar 2010 05:17 #2283 by kilop
mozmck that will be great last attempts to install your kernel trl on my pc and laptop with 9.10 was unsuccessful and got black screen.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2010 05:17 by kilop.

More
12 Mar 2010 07:11 #2285 by waynegramlich
I'll be delighted to test out the emc2-sim package on 9.10 when you have it ready. Given how fast 10.4 is coming down the pike, it is probably prudent to pound on the these packages as much as possible. Thanks for all of the hard work -- have a .deb package is so much easier than a source install.

More
13 Mar 2010 14:41 #2298 by mozmck
I haven't made a sim package yet, but there is a whole new set of packages on www.linuxcnc.org/experimental/Karmic/
I would appreciate if folks could test the kernel and the rt packages, because as you said, it would be good to pound these outas much as possible before the next release.

The kernel there is made from the latest karmic ubuntu kernel with rtai patch added a few configuration changes for realtime stuff. It is compiled for smp (dual processor/core) just like the stock ubuntu kernel, but it should work fine on single core as well. I've been running it on my main machine with the nvidia video drivers, and running all kinds of programs and server software without a hitch for a week or so now.

I had the black screen problem on one computer with the last kernel that was up there, and I think it had to do with the onboard video chipset. There are more bug fixes in this kernel so it may work better.

More
13 Mar 2010 15:40 #2299 by waynegramlich
I'm personally running on a netbook (no parallel port). Running the RTAI kernel might work, but I doubt I could get EMC2 to do anything useful. I'd like to encourage other people to give this stuff a spin tho'.

When you have an emc2-sim package, I'll jump on it.

Again, thanks for putting this stuff into a .deb package, it makes life so much easier!

More
13 Mar 2010 18:31 - 13 Mar 2010 18:32 #2301 by kilop
i got nvidia 7300 graphics car,d onboard chipset is off so i dont think that this is a problem
Last edit: 13 Mar 2010 18:32 by kilop.

More
16 Mar 2010 18:21 #2323 by cncready
Yesterday I have installed emc 2.5-pre on ubuntu 9.10 more or less with success.

Hardware I used:

Intel D945GSEJT with Intel Atom N270 (2x)
30GB SSD with ext4 partition
1GB DDR2-RAM Kingston
Delock PCI-E WLAN modul

I compiled the kernel for rtai and emc2 from the source. (kernel configured for Core2Duo). ubuntu worked more or less without errors. I had only problems with the APIC, so I deactivated it with "noapic" in the grub boot line and it worked!

I only got an error when I tried to start emc without root rights. (locked memory less than 20480kb...).

The entry in the /etc/security/limits.conf has been added but that hasn't an effect to the limits.
Only the command "ulimit -l 20480" can change the memory limit and that without root rights!

I can start emc2 with simulation configs but not with an 5i20-config because it doesn't load the firmware into the FPGA.

The whole procedure took me about 10 hours - has anybody an idea to make it work in less than 10 hours?

(sorry for my bad english - I'm from Austria ;) )

More
16 Mar 2010 20:32 #2325 by mr_deimos
Since my machine seems to be too new for both EMC live CD's and installing precompiled kernel and EMC on a stock ubuntu 8.04 doesn't really do much difference, i'm trying to put in on a bit more modern version of linux. I do have some linux knowledge but somehow couldn't just get the self-compiled kernel to work on archlinux. So i was really happy when i found the .deb packages for ubuntu 9.04.
However i'm experiencing the same problem as kilop - after installing the kernel from here: www.linuxcnc.org/experimental/Karmic/ or from here: www.linuxcnc.org/experimental/Karmic/OLD/ the kernel apperars in GRUB, but i'm unable to boot it - i just get a black screen with blinking cursor. Not even an error message.
I noticed that when i installed the linux-image-*.deb one of the postinstall scripts returned an error. To be more precise, something like that:
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.27-freezedccp.postinst line 1181.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.27-freezedccp (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-2.6.27-freezedccp
The text itself is copied from this Ubuntu bug report, but the relevant parts about /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common quitting with an error are the same.

Installing a newer dkms package as suggested further down in the mentioned bug report fixed that error message, but the kernel still won't boot.
I tried to install it when using both the closed-source "nvidia" driver and the open "nv" drivers with "nvidia" completely removed. No difference, all i see is the blinking cursor on a black screen.

My specs are:
Asus M4A77TD motherboard on a AMD 770 chipset (no integrated GPU)
Athlon X2 family processor
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT PCI express video card

In case you need any more info to track down the problem, just let me know.
In the meantime i'll try to compile the rtai kernel on 9.10 myself, however it would be nice to be able to just use the debs ;)

More
16 Mar 2010 21:22 #2327 by cncready
this guide could help you by compiling the rtai kernel: www.timberline.se/?p=8
it worked fine for me

I have also installed the deb-packages and had the same problem with the black screen and the blinking cursor.

maybe the problem is that the kernel is compiled for a pentium M CPU...

More
17 Mar 2010 00:16 #2329 by mozmck
hmm, this is not good. I'll try some changes to my kernel debs and see if I can't get it working for y'all. It is compiled for Pentium Pro, instead of 386 because it needed TSC support for smp.
I'll try compiling for M586 (Classic Pentium) and see if that helps. My computer is an Athlon x2 dual core and works fine with the current debs fwiw.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds