The Road to Building a real-time (RT) kernel for my favorite OS, Ubuntu 18.04.4

More
29 Mar 2020 17:31 #162007 by clunc
(I have 640MB+ of one of your Mint 19.2 respins downloaded so far.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2020 21:13 #162025 by andypugh

Andy did you see my previous message regarding your header package seemingly being the kernel image package ?

No, I missed that.

dpkg-scanpackages agrees. How odd. I am trying another build to see what it going on.

The file now really is a headers package.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problems seen in this thread.

More
29 Mar 2020 21:57 #162030 by BeagleBrainz
No
Clunc used the packages from my google drive, the same ones that I use for the RTAI images.
I ran a quick install of the packages on a install of lubuntu in VBox and the sims loaded up fine.
It’s a shame about Ubuntu’s policy on remastering otherwise I’d thrown an image together for him.
Anyhow hopefully Mint works and he can be up and running.

Any idea on what happened with your packages ?

More
29 Mar 2020 22:59 #162039 by andypugh

Any idea on what happened with your packages ?

I have been changing the names at the same time as I SCP them up to www.linuxcnc.org as they end up being created with the name doubled-up. I imagine that I probably messed up a tab-completion or edit.

More
30 Mar 2020 00:57 #162045 by BeagleBrainz
I thought it was something like that. I'd also assumed with all it's complexity the debian packaging system would refuse to install renamed packages. Seems like a security issue at worse or a way to install the wrong package.

More
30 Mar 2020 02:44 - 30 Mar 2020 02:46 #162050 by clunc
To finish the thread:
* I didn't reach my goal of rolling my own version of LinuxCNC and the real-time OS to run it in. :^(

But I am running BeagleBrainz's nifty/snifty very-late-model of LinuxCNC (2.8) in a futuristic RT kernel (4.19.106).

Why am I sad, you ask?

Well, it's because I feel conflicted. I recall an old story about one man who apparently could afford it, who walked up to another man standing on a street corner every day--for years--and wordlessly handed him ten dollars.

After years of this behavior, the first man walked past the second man and handed ten dollars to a third fellow.

At that point the second man yelled, "Hey! Where's my ten dollars?"

So.

I feel very much like the second man.

There is all this Talent within the LinuxCNC community, giving above, and beyond, and here I stand on a corner taking handouts.

"One of these days," I think, "things might change, and the good folks who do all this scut-work for me might move on, and then where will I--where will we all?--be?"

I guess that's what led to me trying to do this for myself.

I, truly, wish it was more straightforward.

BUT ("he hastened to add"), I do have a teeth-out-knocking eye-blacking Linux Mint install of LinuxCNC 2.8--WHICH ran my machine instantly from the get-go--although I no doubt should re-run the stepconf again (I ran it once with little change).

'latency-test' says my maxjitter is between 25000-26000.

(@BeagleBrainz, Thank you. You're a genius. You drive me crazy. ;^) )
Last edit: 30 Mar 2020 02:46 by clunc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
30 Mar 2020 03:34 #162057 by BeagleBrainz
Never ever feel that way, it's all open source and we're all here to help.....and you'll get better help have you installed the latest BIOS, have the latest drivers and updates and rebooted, which seems to be the extent of a windows expert. Apologies to those that are actually knowledgeable and able to diagnose and rectify windows issues.

All I did was run make, debuild a couple of times, installed some packages whilst using the utility someone else wrote to put remaster the image. No coding involved, apart from modding the Linuxcnc debian build to package the docs in html format separately.

You'd actually get lower latency values using an RTAI version, but that has issues with some graphics implementations, mostly being that your resolution maxes out at 1024x768.

If the RT_PREEMPT version is working for you keep with it. You have it going so best to keep it that way.

The whole thing with the Mint images was that thee seemed to be a large portion of people who wanted to use Mint but for whatever reasons were having trouble doing an install of Linuxcnc.These modded images are my way of giving back. Giving feedback, good or bad is a way of contributing. Nothing worse than not knowing what you are doing, be it right or wrong.

Mint feels pretty polished hey, especially compared to lubuntu.

Once again glad to see you're almost all the way back to cooking with gas.

More
30 Mar 2020 07:27 #162073 by bbsr_5a
as of the 3Days outcome of 20.04 will there be a effort to quickly transform a RT kernal on the newer Ubuntu

More
30 Mar 2020 07:53 #162078 by BeagleBrainz
was waiting for this to be asked.

Nothing complicated about it .
Download the kernel sources and appropriate patch, apply patch, build kernel, install kernel. Build linuxcnc.

But I wouldn’t be putting a first release in control of a cnc machine. No guarantee of what bugs will turn up where.

More
30 Mar 2020 22:20 #162165 by andypugh

You'd actually get lower latency values using an RTAI version, but that has issues with some graphics implementations, mostly being that your resolution maxes out at 1024x768.

That _should_ be fixed with the 4.14.174 build. I have it running 1440x900 on real hardware and 2560x1440 on a Mac VM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds