LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4

More
25 Mar 2022 15:21 #238345 by Deadtoxxic
Hy Gents.

Sorry for my late reply... Thank you for your help, Iam on the way to get a system running, but i still have a problem.

1. RPI4 4GB version booted from external SSD trough 3.0USB port. Using this OS: "2021-08-01_2021-05-07-realtimepi-buster-armhf-lite-0.6.0" from unofficialpi.
2. I installed the XFCE desktop with ( xserver-xorg xfce4 xfce4-goodies) .
3. Installing Linuxcnc Uspace from buildbot "linuxcnc-uspace_2.9.0~pre0.6129.g907754aa9_armhf.deb" 
4. Then I get this latency :( 

I tried it with SD card ( speed class 10) but the result is worse. Anyway i will use it with 7I76e, so achieve software step generation is not my target.
But i feel something is not working properly. Do you have any idea?
Anywhere in the forum i can see good latency results with RPI4 with realtime kernel combined with Uspace.

Thank You!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2022 00:06 #238387 by andypugh

More
29 Mar 2022 01:27 #238566 by RB211
Replied by RB211 on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
Hello, I am looking to run LinuxCNC on a pi4 with 4gb, and use software step gen with a USB to DB25 cable to a cheap BOB. It's for a very simple Taig lathe. I'll control the spindle through RS485 to the VFD through yet another USB cable. Am I asking for trouble? 

More
29 Mar 2022 07:32 #238574 by Elco
Replied by Elco on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
Using a USB to parallel port adapter will not work, like it does not work for I86 based linuxcnc. The usb protocol does not provide a real-time connection to the individual DB25 I/O pins. It works for printers because you write a complete 7-bit character in one go, and printers buffer the input before they process it, making it much less dependent on timing.

With the RPi, you take the signals from the 40 pin connector on the board, provide optical isolation and adapt the I/O signals to what you need to drive steppers / servos and read home and limit signals. The electronics is not complicated, but requires some design and soldering work if you make it a DIY project. You could this way wire up the parallel port of a BOB, but you need in any case 3.3 to 5V signal adaption.

Linuxcnc on the RPi4 is very experimental, I have a test setup that does not work yet. This forum publishes some information on how to configure the RPi, but I have not yet seen a complete example (ie with both the required  .ini and .hal files) published here to copy as a test.

Elco

More
29 Mar 2022 14:57 #238620 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
So there are a few options to use a RPI for cnc
First is the use the gpio header, there is a lack of documentation around this but its doable.

Second is to use a mesa ethernet card. This has the best documentation but come at a price of around 90$
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...rt=p.price&order=ASC

Third is a relatively new project. Remora.
This uses the spi output from the pi to drive a supported 3d printer main board in Realtime via SPI.
You can read about it here.
remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

If you re just trying things out i would try and use the GPIO and some cheap level shifters.
www.amazon.com/SongHe-Channels-Converter...07YZTW2SM/ref=sr_1_4

More
01 Apr 2022 12:34 #238985 by RB211
Replied by RB211 on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
Thanks all, I ordered a Mesa 7i96 for use with my pi. If all else fails I suppose I can use a spare desktop that needs a video card. Still waiting for parts before a test can be done.

More
19 May 2022 02:24 #243308 by TriCnC2022
I am having the same result. Have you gotten it to work yet?

More
19 May 2022 02:32 #243309 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
Its a bit of a work in progress but there is a 64 bit Raspberry Pi image builder that has decent latency here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nuxcnc-ethercat-xfce

The image built in this process is good so far.
I got VTK built last night for QTPYVCP

More
25 May 2022 16:14 #243809 by malare
Replied by malare on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
 I flashed LinuxCNC 2.8.1   Raspberry Pi OS based on Debian 10 Buster  on a card and tried it on a RPi400. When I first started it there were a message that the CPU is not supported but it started anyway and everything seemed to work (exept wi-fi) until I should shutdown the RPi400. I couldn't shut it down, it always restarted. What does this mean?

Many regards,  malare

More
26 May 2022 06:47 #243871 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4

I flashed LinuxCNC 2.8.1   Raspberry Pi OS based on Debian 10 Buster on a card and tried it on a RPi400. When I first started it there were a message that the CPU is not supported but it started anyway and everything seemed to work (exept wi-fi) until I should shutdown the RPi400. I couldn't shut it down, it always restarted. What does this mean?

Many regards,  malare

If you need to use version 2.8 (64-bit) you can take the image you find here.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=120#224608

LinuxCNC also works on raspi400 (I have one and have checked) but the version is not the most recent and therefore the hal_pi_gpio driver does not work.

If you want to use version 2.9 instead you can use the image you can download here
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=130#238020
The following user(s) said Thank You: malare

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds