LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4

More
18 Jun 2022 00:21 #245365 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4

LinuxCNC also works on raspi400 (I have one and have checked) but the version is not the most recent and therefore the hal_pi_gpio driver does not work.

I am expecting to release a 2.8.3 fairly soon. Would you expect that to fix this? Or is there more to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2022 06:15 - 18 Jun 2022 06:23 #245382 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4

LinuxCNC also works on raspi400 (I have one and have checked) but the version is not the most recent and therefore the hal_pi_gpio driver does not work.

I am expecting to release a 2.8.3 fairly soon. Would you expect that to fix this? Or is there more to do?

Yes, the new version will solve the problem.

My observation is due to the fact that the correction of the hal_pi_gpio file is dated 21 March while the SD image to which the link refers dates back to October 2021

One question: Will version 2.8.3 still be based on Debian Buster or will it use Bullseye?
Last edit: 18 Jun 2022 06:23 by elovalvo.

More
21 Jun 2022 10:03 #245528 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4

One question: Will version 2.8.3 still be based on Debian Buster or will it use Bullseye?

It will be a re-spin of the current ISO, possibly with a couple of packaging fixes. 

More
01 Jul 2022 00:30 - 01 Jul 2022 00:35 #246331 by Vector
Replied by Vector on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
The third line of your comment... the link is now broken. I think you may have meant the buildbot page at buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ , but can you let us know if that's not what you meant? Thank you!

Dang it, I'm trying to respond to elovalvo's comments on Feb 28, but it keeps posting to the end of the thread. Sorry
Last edit: 01 Jul 2022 00:35 by Vector.

More
01 Jul 2022 00:34 #246332 by Vector
Replied by Vector on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
The third link isn't working. Can you fix it or let us know if you meant the buildbot page: buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ or the linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/g...lling_on_raspbian_10 page, or somewhere else? 

(I'm stuck on the problems downloading the raspberry pi kernel: I'm having trouble installing using sudo apt-get, or using the native synaptics-like software update interface, was hopeful this thread would help, but not there yet.)

Thanks!

More
01 Jul 2022 06:01 - 01 Jul 2022 06:10 #246342 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4

The third link isn't working. Can you fix it or let us know if you meant the buildbot page: buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ or the linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/g...lling_on_raspbian_10 page, or somewhere else? 

(I'm stuck on the problems downloading the raspberry pi kernel: I'm having trouble installing using sudo apt-get, or using the native synaptics-like software update interface, was hopeful this thread would help, but not there yet.)

Thanks!

That link was related to the most updated version at that time.

The most updated version to date is this:

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/buster/2.8-r...g33a366cac_armhf.deb

The link to all the versions available today can be found here

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/buster/2.8-r...inary-armhf/?C=M;O=D

To install, you can use gdebi:

sudo apt-get install gdebi

wget buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/buster/2.8-r...g33a366cac_armhf.deb

sudo gdebi ./linuxcnc-uspace_2.8.2.135.g33a366cac_armhf.deb
Last edit: 01 Jul 2022 06:10 by elovalvo.

More
04 Jul 2022 13:22 #246579 by Laki_88
Replied by Laki_88 on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
Hi, I am new at this forum. I use RPi4 4GB with Linumeric. This is the solve of your problems. It works verry good. I personaly have problems with configure it but this is problem with my low skills with Linux.

machmaker.pl/index.php?p=1_12

More
04 Jul 2022 16:20 #246585 by tommylight
Last time i checked, that USB to parallel was very close to Mesa 7i92 in price, so not worth it at all.
Besides that converter being very limited at step rate, it has a single port that can do at best 10KHz pulses.
Mesa 7i92 has two fully programmable ports that can do and count MHz step rates on each pin. That is at least 100 times faster.

More
10 Sep 2022 22:50 #251656 by armin-f
Replied by armin-f on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

My aim is, to upgrade an older oxy-fuel cutting machine, that is still
electro-mechanical (photo cell-head follows line on a plan), to CNC.
To this end, I want to tweak PlasmaC to work with oxy-fuel or eventually
add a plasma torch too.

Since PlasmaC depends on LinuxCNC 2.9.y, downloading some package won't do, from what I read. I also read, that arm64 is more responsive than 32-bit.
I happen to have a Raspberry 4B with 4GB RAM and the SD-Card I flashed works. Because of recommendations on the net (here?, sorry I read hundreds of pages by now), I downloaded the arm64-RT-Kernel package from Debian, but it doesn't boot.
Therefore, I downloaded the source of the Raspian Kernel and patched it with the RT-patch from kernel.org. The patch applied very clean (small offsets in a hand full of files), and the Kernel compiles, but: I can't configure it, to activate the fully preemtive RT-Scheduler. The hard real time menu items just don't show up.

To summarize my target:
* Raspberry Pi 4B, 4GB,
* Raspian 64-bit Light + required packets
* Kernel 5.15.65 patched to RT
* LinuxCNC 2.9.y 64-bit
* PlasmaC working (& somewhat modified)
* driver for GPIO pins working much like ParPort
* Raspi-hat with a bunch of opto-isolators + nitty gritty (ABZ in, PWM out)
* old Heidenhain-Encoders married to zeh machine cutting steel

I'm not new to Linux. I work on it on my desktop and my laptop on a daily basis since 1992, and patched and compiled Kernels dozens of times, albeit, not so often in the last years ;-) 
I also wrote a working RT-stepper driver for the ParPort back in the days of Victor Yodaikens RTLinux (Kernel 2.6.y?), that had nothing to do with LinuxCNC, then EMC2.

Since this is quite lengthy, I don't list everything I did, but I tried to analyze the Kernels Kconfig-files, and grepped and read through the .config-file(s) and even through the RT-patch. I think I can narrow down the configuration dependencies, but I'm still stuck.
Since I document my steps, you can of course have my findings, should I succede.

So, is this here the right place to unload my ramblings, or should I rather got to the Raspian people or Kernel maintainers?

Kind Regards, Armin

P.S. I fucking hate the CAPTCHA. I don't like to have my intelligence used for training some AI of <insert data asshole> for free.

More
10 Sep 2022 23:13 #251657 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4
Aren't Rpi4's hard to come by? Great work for anyone that already has them, but shouldn't we be picking out some readily available arm64 boards to make images for?

pine64.com/product/quartz64-model-b-4gb-single-board-computer/
libre.computer/products/s905x/

or similar

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds