Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

More
16 Nov 2023 20:40 #285655 by cornholio
Raspbian OS uses LXDE as opposed to XFCE so that could be the difference. I can say that I thought latency was better when running with a Raspbian OS on my RP-400. Or there could be other factors at play.

I built a successful non-rt kernel based on 6.1.y and now building a realtime one with 6.1.59 rt patch, patch went with no issues, so that's a good sign.

It's all fun & games so far.

I didn't try the your image rod but notice in the kernel package there was no rp5 dtb file so just assumed it would be a non starter, plus it was 1:00am and the dog was looking at me funny, like it was time for bed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2023 00:23 - 17 Nov 2023 00:25 #285672 by cornholio
Update to above, rt kernel built & running. Happy with basic latency test, have sound, BT & wifi disabled. Haven't really pushed it nor isolated any cores. Board is 4GB as new stock of 8GB had no ETA.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2023 00:25 by cornholio.

More
17 Nov 2023 06:48 - 17 Nov 2023 07:08 #285696 by pietvr
Seems like some GladeVCP widgets are not working on Bookworm yet as Wayland is used instead of X11. Gremlin is throwing errors and some others like Actions are not able to initiate.  

Gremlin, none of the HAL Actions and some others are not available in the Glade widgets list.

Has anybody else encountered some issues with the GladeVCP widgets as well?

Piet
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Nov 2023 07:08 by pietvr.

More
17 Nov 2023 07:13 #285697 by rodw
The reason all of my images and ISO's run XFCE is that it is an X11 environment. There is a way  to tell Wayland how to deal with X11 via an environment variable but I can't remember how.

I have no idea if this will work or not, but could you please try this Pi5 image I have just built using the same  environment as we used for the official  pi4b image on the Linuxcnc downloads page. It uses XFCE.
drive.google.com/file/d/1H_q0Ra-27ZDOhqu.../view?usp=drive_link

The other problem child I have encounted in the past was VTK was  missing in the Raspberry repos but I see now it is available in Debian. It was a 5 hour compile on a pi4b. (Maybe that was for QTPYVCP who don't offer pi packages in their repo.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: pietvr

More
17 Nov 2023 07:47 #285702 by cornholio
Debian has some info here.

wiki.debian.org/Wayland#Xwayland

Or if you start with raspios lite (no desktop) and install xfce as the desktop enviroment.

or.. as per help.realvnc.com/hc/en-us/articles/14110...-and-RealVNC-Connect
Raspberry Pi 4-5: This device defaults to using Wayland (wayfire) on Pi OS Bookworm, however it is possible to switch to X11 by using the command line raspi-config utility, under Advanced Options -> Wayland. Our initial testing indicates that RealVNC Connect functions as expected in this mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pietvr

More
17 Nov 2023 07:52 #285703 by rodw
The method is buried in comments in a commit or issue  in linuxcnc's git

I'll wait patiently for my image to be tested. .....

More
17 Nov 2023 07:58 #285705 by pietvr
Thanks Rod, you pointed me in the right direction and there was an easy fix here . Sorry I don't have Pi 5 yet to test your image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
17 Nov 2023 15:04 #285744 by Calysto
New here.... my Pi4 1GB (yes, it exists! :-)) isn't good enough, my Pi5 4GB will be here soon. I'll test your images!

More
17 Nov 2023 15:29 #285748 by elovalvo

New here.... my Pi4 1GB (yes, it exists! :-)) isn't good enough, my Pi5 4GB will be here soon. I'll test your images!

Those interested in having a working image on Raspberry Pi 5 can refer to this post:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...berry-pi-5?start=20# 285747
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calysto

More
17 Nov 2023 16:02 #285752 by cornholio
ATM I can't quite get SPI working, I think I may have a solution but will need to do some testing.
Just wondering if anyone else has found this to be an issue ?

This may affect 7i90, 7c80 and 7c81 boards.

Mesaflash seems to have an issue as well.

So far I've had no input from anyone on this issue.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds