Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

More
17 Nov 2023 17:29 #285757 by PCW
I would expect Mesaflash and hm2_spi to work since they use the generic SPI device driver
(as long as that's accessible and correct), but hm2-rpspi may well need to be updated
to match whatever SPI hardware the RPI5 has.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2023 20:03 #285773 by rodw
Also read today that the graphics drivers for the Pi5 won't b ereleased until kernel 6.8. I don't think that will be a big issue for CNC.

More
17 Nov 2023 20:42 #285775 by cornholio
As I mentioned in my woes post I had to force mesaflash to 8 bit word length as 32 bit wasn't communicating.

More
27 Nov 2023 19:24 #286634 by JackRay
Hello,

I'm sorry but I didn't understand, how to install in a simple way this last version of linuxcnc on raspberry pi4 with last version of the real time kernel .

can someone help me?

Thanks

More
27 Nov 2023 21:34 #286640 by cornholio

More
28 Nov 2023 01:31 #286650 by rodw
Andy tested this image for the Pi5 and found it worked ok except image colour depth was lacking.
drive.google.com/file/d/1H_q0Ra-27ZDOhqu...x1f/view?usp=sharing
This is just a variation of whats on the Downloads page for the 4b

More
28 Nov 2023 11:15 #286690 by elovalvo
I think many posts in this thread are completely unrelated to the topic I started it with.
My idea was to compare the performance of the Raspbian Bookworm (and not the Debian) on Pi4 and Pi5....

More
28 Nov 2023 11:19 #286691 by rodw

I think many posts in this thread are completely unrelated to the topic I started it with.
My idea was to compare the performance of the Raspbian Bookworm (and not the Debian) on Pi4 and Pi5....

ITs difficult for users to compare the products until they have a robust installation method for the pi5. But it has been reported latency is much improved.

More
05 Mar 2024 23:03 - 06 Mar 2024 19:49 #295266 by pgf

The results are definitely surprising

[code][code]Regarding this...  is it understood why the latency was so much better in the RPi 5 test, than the RPi 4?  Is this purely a result of improved processor performance, or is there some other underlying reason?  (And, has that result been reproduced?)

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think that latency is quite a bit better than I currently get on my 10 y.o. AMD PC, which implies I could potentially replace it (and its parallel port) directly with an RPi 5 and its gpio pins.  Which I confess excites me a bit.  :-)

paul
[/code][/code]

Last edit: 06 Mar 2024 19:49 by pgf. Reason: text was incorrectly... tried again. and again.... argh. it's getting worse. I give up.

More
06 Mar 2024 00:26 #295273 by cornholio

ITs difficult for users to compare the products until they have a robust installation method for the pi5. But it has been reported latency is much improved.

The OP has describe a robust installation method within the opening couple of posts. Having tested both methods for the RPi5, the Raspbian OS based method appears to be the better setup.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds